Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 11:11:57 AM EDT
Found a very nice Webber, may have to try and pick one up, make the switch from charcoal to gas.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:13:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:13:20 AM EDT
Why switch? You could just drag the oven out on the patio if you're going to use gas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:20:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
REAL bbq is done on coal. not gas.

i have had 5 or 6 gas grills over the years. will never buy one again.

I know..

BUT see we are in a burn ban right now, and that menas NO CHARCOAL.

I have some ribeyes I want to grill.....but cant, unless I had a gas grill.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:28:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:33:11 AM EDT

how is that different from a charcoal grill as far as a burn ban is considered. you still have open flame heating the brickettes. Contained grills here are exempt from a burn ban. Bans here only apply to open uncontained fires.

Charcoal is not allowed right now, BUT gas grills are.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:48:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1shott:

how is that different from a charcoal grill as far as a burn ban is considered. you still have open flame heating the brickettes. Contained grills here are exempt from a burn ban. Bans here only apply to open uncontained fires.

Charcoal is not allowed right now, BUT gas grills are.

Buy a charcoal grill and set an empty propane tank under it. No one will be the wiser.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:50:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1shott:
make the switch from charcoal to gas.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:56:46 AM EDT
Go gas and get some of these Barbecue Pellets You can't get that much smoke flavoring with charcoal. Plus you'r eating before your neighbors charcoal is ready to cook on.
EX diehard charcoaler
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:57:47 AM EDT
LOL...triburst...is that an application of "Kentucky Windage"??? LOL..(ie. making something work regardles of actuality.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:00:35 PM EDT

We got the Weber Silver series from Home Depot last year. These are some bad ass grills! The covers are thicker than the el-cheapos which holds the heat in to cook evenly and not flare up. A little tray with soaked wood chips makes for some nice smoke to flavor your food too. No muss or fuss, quick and no grass fires.... You won't be sorry. The model with the burner on the side is handy as well if you want to warm up beans or whatever too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:04:09 PM EDT
Gas is so much more convenient and cheaper to use that it makes the somewhat better taste of charcoal not worth it to me 9 times out of ten. But I tend to only use my grill when I'm having a cookout with several guests.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 12:29:22 PM EDT by triburst1]

Originally Posted By NorWester:
You can't get that much smoke flavoring with charcoal. Plus you'r eating before your neighbors charcoal is ready to cook on.

That's because you were using briquettes, Sparky. I only use 100% natural wood lump charcoal mixed with soaked wood chips(applewood, peach, mesquite, or hickory depending on the meat.) There is a HUGE difference in the taste compared to gas. Real wood charcoal is also ready to cook in 1/3 the time of briquettes and burns much hotter, which is essential for properly searing steaks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:33:28 PM EDT
I have a Weber 500 natural gass grill - I like it, but I prefer charcoal and am going to get a new charcoal grill soon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:58:38 PM EDT
Weber is a good brand of gas grill. The A is big enough for two people, but the B is better. The BTU rating of the B is significantly higher. I assemble grills for a part time job. Weber and Ducane (which Weber bought in bancruptcy). The larger Vermont Castings are of real good quality also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:00:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:

You can't get that much smoke flavoring with charcoal. Plus you'r eating before your neighbors charcoal is ready to cook on.

That's because you were using briquettes, Sparky. I only use 100% natural wood lump charcoal mixed with soaked wood chips(applewood, peach, mesquite, or hickory depending on the meat.) There is a HUGE difference in the taste compared to gas. Real wood charcoal is also ready to cook in 1/3 the time of briquettes and burns much hotter, which is essential for properly searing steaks.

Well now Sparky, did I say I was using Briquets? Hmmm? You should read and think about it before you post something that makes you look like a punk. Now go play with your lighter fluid and matches...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:06:47 PM EDT
I cook lunch and dinner on the grill 5x per week about 30 weeks out of the year.

I wouldn't be doing that if I didn't have a gas grill

And I have Weber Silver Genesis B
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:07:10 PM EDT

Well now Sparky, did I say I was using Briquets? Hmmm? You should read and think about it before you post something that makes you look like a punk. Now go play with your lighter fluid and matches...

If you couldn't tell the difference in flavor, you were either using briquettes or you were drinking the lighter fluid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:12:20 PM EDT

If you couldn't tell the difference in flavor, you were either using briquettes or you were drinking the lighter fluid.

Oh geez there you go again! Out of here to go bang my head against the wall,its gonna feel really good when I quit!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:42:36 PM EDT
Get the Weber ... You'll be happy. No other GAS GRILL cooks quite like them, and it's 10x more convenient if you want to do something simple like chicken, burgers or steaks. You'll be eating while the "Real BBQ" guys are still waiting for their coals to get hot enough.

I've had mine for over 7 years, and it still works like a champ. I've got friends that have gone through 2 or 3 $129 Sears Kenmore crap grills in that time.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:01:55 PM EDT

I only use 100% natural wood lump charcoal

Wood charcoal? Ummm, what's the other stuff made out of if it isn't wood?

Also, where can you buy this? I looked in Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and Lowe's tonight, and I didn't see it.z
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:05:36 PM EDT
You haven't cooked with charcoal unless you've got a Big Green Egg. 1" thick ceramic. Shaped a bit like a Weber. But they are all ceramic. Weigh a ton. Don't use water. Can smoke too. biggreenegg.com. Three or four sizes available. You'll never use anything else. They are legendary. Check 'em out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:47:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zoom:

I only use 100% natural wood lump charcoal

Wood charcoal? Ummm, what's the other stuff made out of if it isn't wood?

Also, where can you buy this? I looked in Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and Lowe's tonight, and I didn't see it.z

The main diference is that briquets are formed into the little uh, briquet shapes and will burn at a constant temp regardless of air flow. Lump will burn hotter but at a much faster rate. The "natural " tag means that it was formed from unprocessed wood such as sawmill scraps. I doubt if any of the big manufactors use processed stuff like furniture building scraps anymore as it wouldn't be cost effective to gather,besides the carcinogens released while processing. Royal oak makes lump and Walmart used to sell it but you might have to look for it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:00:43 PM EDT
I like charcoal too. I recently bought a Jen Air gas grill and I love it. I have 100% flame and heat control and I am out there grilling year round. My Jen Air puts all the smoke and most of the heat out the back. This has allowed me to put the grill on my screened in covered back porch.
I was a Die Hard Charcoal guy til I got this. Now I'll never go back. Year round grilling.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:03:26 PM EDT
If you can't use charcoal temporarily b/c of a burn-ban I'd just get a grill pan until the ban lifts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:45:59 PM EDT
Here's another tip....spend a little extra $$$$$ and move up to an all stainless grill like the Jenn-Airs at Home Depot. They are rust proof, look super trick and will probably last forever. Plus they are very easy to clean. We have used regular grills at our 9 fire stations and we are constantly repairing them and they deteriorate rather quickly, and we don't have them subjected to very much rain or bad weather where we are With the stainless models, the inside components are all stainless and aluminum so that's another plus! YMMV
Top Top