Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 9:04:25 AM EDT
2 months ago I got a H&K P9S. Below is a pic of my first outing at the 7yrd range. I freely admit that I suck with a pistol.

This morning, I got a wild hair and decided to head to the range again. I have shot the pistol two times since the above pic. Here is a pic of my first 10 rounds from this am. I focused on the basics, monitored my breathing and exercised good trigger control. I think I am getting the hang of this pistola thing.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:05:36 AM EDT
i see some improvement
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:11 AM EDT
Yeah, it is amazing what a few hours and a few hundred rounds will do for your accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:47:19 AM EDT
Now try it with your eyes closed...........
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:59:45 AM EDT
I'm working on the behind the back with a mirror, quick draw now. I'll tackle that one next.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:15:16 AM EDT
A little free coaching from an NRA Instructor.

Notice how a majority of your shots on the first target were low and to the left. This is usually caused by "jerking" the trigger. This causes your trigger finger to "pull" the barrel of the pistol down and to the left.

On the second target, you corrected this common mistake.

Dry firing can be beneficial in correcting this tendency.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:42:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:44:22 AM EDT
I am excited on 3 counts.

1) An HK P9S
2) That a fellow gunny is seeing some improvement.
3) That there is a firearms related topic in GD.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:55:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

Notice how a majority of your shots on the first target were low and to the left. This is usually caused by "jerking" the trigger. This causes your trigger finger to "pull" the barrel of the pistol down and to the left.

Keep up the good work.

OP,

I'm a lefty so was I jerking the trigger?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:21:18 PM EDT
makes it more fun, too...
many people adjust sights and monkey with the gun when all they need to do is what you did...focus on control and a smooth trigger squeeze...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:29:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dvr9:

Keep up the good work.

OP,

I'm a lefty so was I jerking the trigger?

Playing a trick on me, hey?

Nope, if you're a left handed shooter, then you might be gripping the grip too low with your left hand or may have your trigger finger too far through the trigger.

You lefties mess everything all up for instructors.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:32:23 PM EDT

Keep up the good work.

I shoot about 3-4 inches to the left with every handgun I have ever fired. I think I would die a happy man to get a group like dvr9's second pic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:37:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GerberSchwintz:

Keep up the good work.

I shoot about 3-4 inches to the left with every handgun I have ever fired. I think I would die a happy man to get a group like dvr9's second pic.

Well, I see you live in Texas.

Come on down to Beaumont and I'll teach you how to center those groups.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:05:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GerberSchwintz:

Keep up the good work.

I suprised myself too! That group is better than some of my rifle groups!!

If it makes you feel better, I still can't hit crap with a 1911, 45LC SAA, or a SIG P229. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
I need to improve my pistol shooting. Hell, I have no training at all and probably shoot like a total beginner (altho my groups are ok). My main concern is improving my stance, grip, and just about everything else there is to shooting. My main pistol is an HK USP .45.

If anyone knows some good resources for me to read that will get right to the point in shooting, let me know!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:17:46 PM EDT
Hey Old_Painless, I have a question for an NRA instructor:

My friend shoots a Glock 22 low. I observed him dry fire and the muzzle doesn't move. I shoot it and it's right on target. What could be his problem?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:24:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:42:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Schulze:

My friend shoots a Glock 22 low. I observed him dry fire and the muzzle doesn't move. I shoot it and it's right on target. What could be his problem?

Many folks are surprised to find that different people shoot the same pistol to a different point of aim.

By that, I mean that if I sighted a pistol in to exactly center of target, you might shoot it and shoot a nice small group, but it might be 2 inches lower than mine.

This is a result of different muscle pressure, different eye sight, different stances, different grip pressure, and many, many other factors.

My shooting buddy Tman and I shoot guns to exactly the same point of aim. That is the exception, not the usual case.

If your buddy owns that pistol, he needs to simply lower the front sight blade a little, or get a higher rear sight. That will get him on target.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:10:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
I am excited on 3 counts.

1) An HK P9S
2) That a fellow gunny is seeing some improvement.
3) That there is a firearms related topic in GD.

I will second all of those.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:12:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

he shooting a glock

+1,000,000,000
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:13:28 PM EDT

Many folks are surprised to find that different people shoot the same pistol to a different point of aim.

By that, I mean that if I sighted a pistol in to exactly center of target, you might shoot it and shoot a nice small group, but it might be 2 inches lower than mine.

This is a result of different muscle pressure, different eye sight, different stances, different grip pressure, and many, many other factors.

My shooting buddy Tman and I shoot guns to exactly the same point of aim. That is the exception, not the usual case.

If your buddy owns that pistol, he needs to simply lower the front sight blade a little, or get a higher rear sight. That will get him on target.

Thanks!
Top Top