Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 8:37:00 AM EDT
Year and a half old with 19000 miles.  $14k.  

I pick it up in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
hope you're working on your lisp and weak wrist.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing personal, but
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Its for my GF, she calls it her bubblecar.  She has a full size Chevy Silverado but the round trip to work is killing her in gas money.  

Its a really weird driving experience too.  You stop at a light and everything is silent.  Then when you hit the gas you can feel the engine start.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nothing personal, but

Yes I agree but getting 45 mpg is worth it.  And no there is no fucking way you can get that 55-60 mpg in real time driving.  Maybe in the lab under perfect conditions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on the new efficient ride!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one myself, and I dont care what it looks like - as long as the average MPG on the computer screen stays at around 55mpg, I will still love it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Why didn't you give her th 14 grand for gas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like a lot of money for a golfcart.    

Seriously they are pretty reliable.  My sister got one of the early ones and drove it across the country a few times.  The only time it couldn't keep up with traffic was when trying to go over the Rockies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Because the car blue books for $22k.  But my best friend is a Toyota employee and is selling to me for what he paid for it.   So I figure I can let her drive it for a year or two sell and still come out ahead.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
You better get some good luvin' out of your girlfriend because that car is

Are you dating a white girl? I'm asking because I've never seen an oriental chick driving a hybrid. As far as I can tell only two types of people drive those things: gays and white chicks latching on to a cause.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You better get some good luvin' out of your girlfriend because that car is

Are you dating a white girl? I'm asking because I've never seen an oriental chick driving a hybrid. As far as I can tell only two types of people drive those things: gays and white chicks latching on to a cause.

White as Wonder bread.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the car blue books for $22k.  But my best friend is a Toyota employee and is selling to me for what he paid for it.   So I figure I can let her drive it for a year or two sell and still come out ahead.

Good ideal. I just dont see the math if you keep it long enough for  the batteries to wear out.
in a couple of more generations of battery development this looks like a very good idea

I had a GEO Metro that would pull down 50mpg combined city and highway. I would think you would do better than 45.I have a Neon R/T that does almost 40 if I keep my foot out of it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good ideal. I just dont see the math if you keep it long enough for  the batteries to wear out.
in a couple of more generations of battery development this looks like a very good idea

I had a GEO Metro that would pull down 50mpg combined city and highway. I would think you would do better than 45.I have a Neon R/T that does almost 40 if I keep my foot out of it.

Toyota will replace the batteries at 100000 miles for free.   So the car will wear out before the batteries.  This is a short term deal at best.   Just enough to drive it for a while and sell it when Iran stops selling oil and gas is $4 a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: White as Wonder bread.
I knew it! I've never seen oriental chicks drive a hybrid yet.

Since you actually bought her a Prius, I'm betting she's good looking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Actually she is older then and totally not self absorbed.  She is my best buddy and will do almost anything with me that I am interested in.  She doesnt like to shoot because we make fun of her because she cant close one eye to aim and it looks funny as hell.  She is loyal, honest, smart and can kick my ass in most sports.  She can ride a bike for 12 hours a day.  

So not the best looking but has everything else.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: Actually she is older then and totally not self absorbed.  She is my best buddy and will do almost anything with me that I am interested in.  She doesnt like to shoot because we make fun of her because she cant close one eye to aim and it looks funny as hell.  She is loyal, honest, smart and can kick my ass in most sports.  She can ride a bike for 12 hours a day.  So not the best looking but has everything else.
Hmmm, are you fraternizing with management?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually she is older then and totally not self absorbed.  She is my best buddy and will do almost anything with me that I am interested in.  She doesnt like to shoot because we make fun of her because she cant close one eye to aim and it looks funny as hell.  She is loyal, honest, smart and can kick my ass in most sports.  She can ride a bike for 12 hours a day.  

So not the best looking but has everything else.

Dude she is a natural.Being able to shoot with both eyes open is a good thing,providing she can hit what she is aiming at
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
 I know but  its hilarious because she will try to close one eye and she always closes the wrong one.  LOL.  Her dad was laughing his ass off and he is a really good old fashioned shooter. Before he passed away he was killing skeet with my AUG from 100 yards all day long.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Why all the hype over hybrid cars?

My dad has a 1991 Geo Metro that still averages 50 mpg.  This is without the second system (electrical).  He has over 230,000 miles on his car.  Has replaced the timing belt a couple of time, brakes, tires routine maintenance.

Has anyone researched how much it is going to cost to change the batteries out in a hybrid in 5 years?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was just thinking that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The costs of buying, maintaining, and insuring a second vehicle is likely to be higher than any gas savings.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Has anyone researched how much it is going to cost to change the batteries out in a hybrid in 5 years?

ZERO.  Toyota will replace them at 100000 miles once for free.  At that point the car should last another 100000.   So the cost is minimal.  

There also tax breaks that you get when you buy new.  $3500. Thats a chunk of change so there is an extra inducement to buy a Prius.

The real future would be in the new diesel cars.  VW has diesels that get 50-60 mpg.  Without all the fancy electronic gizmos in the Toyota.

Its basically a step to fuelcell cars.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My dad has a 1991 Geo Metro that still averages 50 mpg.  

The Prius is a lot nicer car than the Metro.

That said i would rather have a Civic DX
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Year and a half old with 19000 miles.  $14k.  

I pick it up in 2 weeks.

Dude, you got a steal.  Congrats.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nothing personal, but

Yes I agree but getting 45 mpg is worth it. And no there is no fucking way you can get that 55-60 mpg in real time driving.  Maybe in the lab under perfect conditions.

No it isn't.  I'll stick with my Ram's 12.4 mpg thank you very much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZERO.  Toyota will replace them at 100000 miles once for free.  At that point the car should last another 100000.   So the cost is minimal.  

There also tax breaks that you get when you buy new.  $3500. Thats a chunk of change so there is an extra inducement to buy a Prius.

The real future would be in the new diesel cars.  VW has diesels that get 50-60 mpg.  Without all the fancy electronic gizmos in the Toyota.

Its basically a step to fuelcell cars.

I wonder why they don't combine the hybred tech with the diesel tech.

IS it because the has engine is better at shutting down and starting back up repeatedly?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I say if you can buy more ammo because your saving money on gas you did good. Screw the others.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I say if you can buy more ammo because your saving money on gas you did good. Screw the others.

Actually I am starting to save up for a registered HK sear.  Michigan is going class III but it isnt official until the AG gives a positive opinion.   I am upto my armpits in ammo so I am good with that.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Good for you! Ignore these Luddites who would rather line the Oil Corporation executive's pockets with cash. Use the money you save to buy more AR accessories.  If the price of the car negates the savings, then no. But at $14,000 you can only save money.

It is simply ridiculous to pay an arm and a leg for fuel to get from point A to point B, unless it's a work vehicle and you must drive it.

I won't drive a fuel guzzler just to fuel my ego.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top