Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:43:46 AM EDT
The prices I saw.

SO I took this morning to run around and kill time. Thought I would stop in on the local gun shop, big mistake.

I look around, nothing really just the usual bolt guns and alot of used guns, BUT then I spot 2 garands, sweet, I thought.....

Until I saw the price, $1500 WTF? No they were not all correct, stocks beat all to hell, hardly no finsh left on the metel......at the best they looked like a couple Greek return field grades.

Damn someone is going to get hosed if they buy those.

I know gun shops need to make a profit, but this was highway robbery...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:45:08 AM EDT
hmmmm.... I wonder if I could get 1500 for my Greek return field grade?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:46:09 AM EDT
Cavet empor. If a buyer is serious about a garand he'll do research first.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:27 AM EDT
My local shop has an unfired armory restored (early 1960's) Springfield M1 with paperwork for $1550...it's a beaut.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:56:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 7:57:26 AM EDT by PBIR]
Not as bad but I was quoted $60 to press on a set of nightsights I got in a trade yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:57:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BerlinVet:
My local shop has an unfired armory restored (early 1960's) Springfield M1 with paperwork for $1550...it's a beaut.

Now a garand like that YA, I would pay the $$$$ for.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:59:44 AM EDT
When I was in California, I saw a Century Garand on consignment for twice that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
holy shit, man I bought my first garand a SA for $180 and my second a IH for $250, I wished I still had them both.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:03:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 8:03:39 AM EDT by SHK]
This is why you buy online. I love supporting my locally owned stores....until I've started to see this stuff going on. What do they expect...really.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:07:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1shott:

Originally Posted By BerlinVet:

Now a garand like that YA, I would pay the $$$$ for.....

I've been toying with the idea of putting it on layaway...no one seems interested because of the high dollar figure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:09:55 AM EDT
I try to support local stores, but I do not intend to get raped in the process.

$200-$300 above MSRP is the norm here, with nearly all of the stores charging full MSRP for used guns, regardless of condition.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:23:47 AM EDT
Local shop has Yugo SKS rifles in good condition for $275/pop. No they won't come down on price. You had better get yours before they're sold out!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:27:07 AM EDT
I buy certain ammo from the local stores.
Why?
It might not be the best prices, but a) im not seeing much bulk .30 carbine around and b) what happens when there are no more FFLs?

ATF has been cracking down on the kitchen table FFL holders, etc, so all that is left are brick and mortar stores and Walmart.
And walmart is not about to handle the transfer for stripped AR15 lowers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
Posted something similar last week. I can't find one under $800
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:39:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
what happens when there are no more FFLs?

There will always be FFLs somewhere. Frankly, I have no sympathy for an FFL who overcharges, treats you like a bum, and then acts like he is doing you a favor. I smile everytime one fails.

If they want to stay in business, they need to give people a reason to shop there. My local FFLs are almost all idiots. When they go out of business, it will be because they chose to run their stores poorly, making the unfriendly places to shop.

The internet is almost always more pleasent and less expensive than my local stores. In the few cases where it hasn't been, I took my business to them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1shott:
The prices I saw.

SO I took this morning to run around and kill time. Thought I would stop in on the local gun shop, big mistake.

I look around, nothing really just the usual bolt guns and alot of used guns, BUT then I spot 2 garands, sweet, I thought.....

Until I saw the price, $1500 WTF? No they were not all correct, stocks beat all to hell, hardly no finsh left on the metel......at the best they looked like a couple Greek return field grades.

Damn someone is going to get hosed if they buy those.

I know gun shops need to make a profit, but this was highway robbery...

What shop?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:52:03 AM EDT
You should have asked the manager was there somthing historically signifigant about the garrands or was he just out to fuck a couple of local yahoos which would then make the garrands historically signifigant in the break room.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:52:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
Posted something similar last week. I can't find one under $800

Dude, to hack with that.....

Get yourself qualified and get one from the CMP. You can get a decent to good-condition Greek return Field grade for ~$350....

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:54:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nightowl7:
You should have asked the manager was there somthing historically signifigant about the garrands or was he just out to fuck a couple of local yahoos which would then make the garrands historically signifigant in the break room.

I know the guy. I have asked him before about his garand prices, he says, Thats what they bring, thats what I charge.

To bad, he has had some decent looking garands, BUT nothing that I cant get through the CMP cheaper and play luck of the draw.

I dont mind spending a little more than the CMP charges, due to the fact I can see what I am buying, BUT I am not paying out the ass for one.
Top Top