Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 10:08:15 PM EDT

Nothing illegal; as I dont want this to get locked.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried Autogk? Here: www.autogk.me.uk/  Easy to use. It rips and encodes into MPEG4 files...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well the problem is--it isnt possible to do this legally in the US anymore.

Most commercial DVD's (television shows and movies) are encrypted on disc; if you make a unprotected copy at all, you've broken the Digital Rights Millenium Act (DCMA) by breaking a copy-protection device.
http://www.doom9.org/ is the main website I know of for DVD-decoding info.
The process is usually multi-step; you use one program to rip the DVD to your hard-drive and decode it (DVDDecryptor is what I use, but I don't know if it's being maintained anymore). Then you use another program to convert the unprotected vob files to MPEG or whatever. You might have to convert the vob files to an .avi file without sound first (one program does that) and dub the sound into the avi (another program does that). Then after you have the avi+audio, convert that to an mpeg (yet another program would do that).

And in Windows Vista (the next MS OS), all this isn't supposed to be possible at all. So you'll be needing Linux to do it then.  
~
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
And in Windows Vista (the next MS OS), all this isn't supposed to be possible at all. So you'll be needing Linux to do it then.  
~

Read on.. slashdot? that the 64bit version of Vista will only allow installation of drivers that are signed by MS.  So you can't not write/load your own driver to emulate hardware, bypass hardware, diddle with hardware,etc. They love their DRM. Time may tell how that works.  (Probably craksed in a week if true.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
tag.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
DVD Decrypter for ripping
VirtualDubMod with AVISynth (to do the encoding)
XVid or DiVX video codec
BeSweet for audio encoding
DVD2AVI for decoding
SubRip for subtitle support

IMHO, it is a major PITA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
i use dvd decrypter and videora ipod converter to put my movies on my ipod
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Start by looking here...VideoHelp. It is a great starting place.

Let us know what you find!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried a program once, I think called DVD Copy Plus, that worked ok. It was pretty automated where I didn't have to do much. Don't know if it's still around.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I suppose really--all you need is a program that can rip and decrypt the DVD to your hard-drive. Then any commercial program will be able to take the vob files and work with them from that point, as they will no longer be encrypted.
------
I regularly decrypt and rip movies just to watch them on my PC. Many DVD's now use "viewer software" that is usually Windows Media Player plugins that are also basically spyware, and when you insert the DVD into your computer, it tells you that you need to install this driver to watch the DVD--which is bullsh!t. Also--this makes it so that to watch that DVD, you can only use Windows Media Player, even though (in my case) I prefer the features of the DVD-viewing program that came with my videocard.

InterActual is one such plugin, there are a few others.

So to get around that, I use DVDDecryptor to rip+decrypt them to my hard drive, and then watch the vob files with the other program.

.....And then I usually end up deleting the vob files, as very few movies now are worth the cost of a blank DVD, in my opinion.
~
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Shhhhh....Use LINUX.....Oops I said too much.

Seriously, If you want to see what LINUX has in the way of video conversion, check out all of the FREE programs at

http://freshmeat.net/browse/200/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top