Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
SOME MK II grenades (pineapples) were filled with black powder...not all were TNT or other explosives...

I'd have to do some research to see when they switched from black powder filler to HE....

One of the biggest worries you have with old ordnance is decomp of the HE (depending on type) which leads to pressure sensitive compounds leaching out. The tend to form in the threads, so when someone tries to unscrew old fuzes...kaboom....

Stuff that has been out in the weather for 60 years can be touchy...

A Garand on the other hand...Its All Good!

Perfect wall hanger, or possible candidate for some restoration depending on condition...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it can seem tempting, to pull the pin on an old grenade (if you have a death wish, that is), but the far, far bigger problem is:

What happens if you remotely pull the pin, and NOTHING happens? Now you have an old, unstable grenade WITH THE PIN PULLED.  It could blow in the next 5 seconds, or maybe in 5 hours, or ???

I'd feel extremely guilty asking an Explosive Disposal guy to risk his life cleaning up my 'experiment'.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SOME MK II grenades (pineapples) were filled with black powder...not all were TNT or other explosives...

I'd have to do some research to see when they switched from black powder filler to HE....

One of the biggest worries you have with old ordnance is decomp of the HE (depending on type) which leads to pressure sensitive compounds leaching out. The tend to form in the threads, so when someone tries to unscrew old fuzes...kaboom....

Stuff that has been out in the weather for 60 years can be touchy...

A Garand on the other hand...Its All Good!

Perfect wall hanger, or possible candidate for some restoration depending on condition...

No black powder except in the time delay.

Use :
The Mk 2 fragmentation hand grenade is used to supplement small arms fire against the enemy in close combat. The grenade produces casualties by high velocity projections of fragments.

Description :
The Mk 2 grenade is pineapple shaped with deep serrations of its body. These serrations delineate fragmentation of the body when the grenade explodes. No safety clip is authorized for use with this grenade. The grenade body is of cast iron and contains a high-explosive filler.

Grenade fuzes M204A1 and M204A2 are pyrotechnic delay-detonating fuzes. They differ only in body construction. The body contains a primer and a pyrotechnic delay column. Assembled to the body are a striker, striker spring, safety lever, safety pin with pull ring, and detonator assembly. The split end of the safety pin has an angular spread or diamond crimp.

*  Dimensions
         o Length, with fuze - 4.5 inches
         o  Diameter - 2.25 inches
   *  Weights
         o Complete - 1.31 lbs

Markings :
Olive drab, or olive drab with yellow band around top of fuze well. World War I era grenades were painted battleship gray.

Operation :
Removal of the safety pin permits release of the safety lever. When the safety lever is released, it is forced away from the grenade body by a striker acting under the force of a striker spring. The striker rotates on its axis and strikes the percussion primer. The primer emits a small, intense spit of flame, igniting the delay element. The delay element burns for 4 to 5 seconds, then sets off the detonator. The detonator explodes, thus initiating the explosive charge. The explosive charge explodes, rupturing the body and projecting fragments.

Hazardous Components :

*   Filler - Flaked or granular TNT, 2 ounces
   *   Primer - M42
   *   Detonator - Lead azide, lead styphnate, and RDX

Possible Fuzes :
Fuze, Grenade, M204A1
Fuze, Grenade, M204A2

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, your looking for more neat items and while digging you notice a "pin" hanging or the end of your shovel......what do you do now ?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I predict someone has had, or will shortly  have some men in generic grey suits, shades, and earpieces knocking on his door soon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top