Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 6:58:46 PM EDT
Like I stated in the shoot/no shoot thread, I like to use other people experiences to work out what I would do in a given situation.  I think hearing about what other folks have been through, what they have encountered, and what action they took to get out of those situations can be a very valuable training tool.  With that being said, I am wondering what percentage of folks here, and under what circumstances have, drawn, brandished, or fired their weapons in self defence.

I would like to exclude LEO and Military from this and keep it more closely related to experience that any of us might encounter.  If, however, LEOand mil think there experiences are pertinent to what a CCW holder may experience, please chime in.

So, if you can, please include a brief description of what happened and why you decided to act.  Also, what you would do differently would be great.

I am asking this because, and I posted this a while ago, I was in Denver with my family and was getting a serious looking over by a couple guys in a truck parked about 20-30 yards away.  I noticed this and prompted the family to hurry the hell up and get to the downtown area with more people around.  Anyway, I was thinking about the situation again and recalled that I pulled out my pocket knife from my jeans pocket and put it in my coat pocket with my hand on it.  Wasn't gonna help much I know, but atleast I felt better knowing I could partially defend myself.   I don't know, but I am now wondering if the bad guys saw me jostling around with something and thought it might be a CCW.  CCW's are not easy but, comfortable to obtain in CO, so I am wondering if that is why they left.

Anyway, other than that I have never drawn down, brandished, or shot at or toward anyone.  

Poll inbound
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a guy come running at my car with a stun gun (when I lived in Richmond, VA). Pointed my 9MM out the window at his head. He went running back to the passenger seat of his girlfriends car, started to drive away, saw a cop driving by, jumped out and started screaming like a bitch, "He's got a gun, he's going to kill me," then jumped back into car and left scene.

After a discussion with several local law enforcement personnel, they decided that it was nothing (plus, they let their witness drive away) or that they didn't want to be involved, so they took my Taurus, unloaded it, made me open trunk, placed weapon and mag inside, and said not to open trunk until they were gone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Drawn Down and Fired on 2 seperate occasions.

Killed two Dogs that were an immediate threat to my safety.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]

I am not a JBT.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I am not a JBT.

But with your training, you could be. Just a joke.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]

I would like to exclude LEO and Military from this and keep it more closely related to experience that any of us might encounter. If, however, LEOand mil think there experiences are pertinent to what a CCW holder may experience, please chime in.

Why exclude L.E.O.‘s?   Many of us L.E.O.'s carry off duty.  Off duty we're in the same boat as anyone else with a CCW.  In fact, I got a Florida CCW permit along with my police I.D..  

I've never had to pull my off duty weapon.  Hope I never have to.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would like to exclude LEO and Military from this and keep it more closely related to experience that any of us might encounter. If, however, LEOand mil think there experiences are pertinent to what a CCW holder may experience, please chime in.

Why exclude L.E.O.‘s?   Many of us L.E.O.'s carry off duty.  Off duty we're in the same boat as anyone else with a CCW.  In fact, I got a Florida CCW permit along with my police I.D..  

I've never had to pull my off duty weapon.  Hope I never have to.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

That is why I put in the, "If, however, LEOand mil think there experiences are pertinent to what a CCW holder may experience, please chime in."

While LEO Mil are on duty it would not necesarilly be pertinent.  However; as you stated if and when you all carry off duty and a situation arose, that information would be good to hear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top