Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2006 1:02:56 PM EDT
Man Attacks California Deputy With Baton, Killed
Story by 10News.com

Authorities have released the name of a man shot and killed by a deputy after allegedly grabbing the deputy's baton and attacking him with it.

Kenneth Drinkard, 42, of Jamul, was pronounced dead shortly shortly after shooting, according to medical examiner's investigator James Buckley.

The deadly encounter took place at 18500 Deer Valley Road in Dulzura at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, San Diego County sheriff's Lt. Scott Rossall said.

The incident began when the deputy pulled the victim over on a motorcycle on Deer Valley Road and smelled alcohol on him, Rossall said.

When the deputy called for assistance from the California Highway Patrol, the man began to yell, then fled on foot, he said.

After a short foot pursuit, Drinkard got a hold of the deputy's baton during a struggle and ignored commands to drop it, Rossall said. He then attacked the deputy with the baton, and the deputy opened fire, killing him, Rossall said.

Drinkard's girlfriend showed up after the shooting and was outraged.

"He was a good dad and just became a grandpa. He would never hurt nobody,"
she said.

The deputy has been placed on administrative leave during the investigation

I guess he really didnt want to get arrested for DUI.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
I wasn't there, but I would have shot his ass if he attacked me with a baton.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:05:25 PM EDT
The guys name was DRINKARD?

That's too fucking funny.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:06:40 PM EDT
With a name like that how could you not be drunk?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:08:56 PM EDT
DUI... on a motorcycle no less.

Runs when stopped.

Struggles when apprenended.

Takes baton and attacks cop.

Cop shoots dumbfuck.

Yeah, I got no problem with it at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:09:38 PM EDT
I knew a loon with the name Drinkard, wonder if they're related.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:09:56 PM EDT
The deputy should have let the guy break his head open with the baton.

After all the guy just became a grandfather.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:11:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sslocal:

"He was a good dad and just became a grandpa. He would never hurt nobody," she said

Unless a baton is nearby and a policeman looks at him the wrong way .

Again--because so many people can't seem to figure it out....

STUPID HURTS....SOMETIMES STUPID GETS SHOT AND IS THEN DEAD.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:14:47 PM EDT
If you are going to take something from a cop's belt and assault them with it, why pick the baton?? That is just stupid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:23:27 PM EDT
"Grandfather" is a somewhat deceptiive term for a 42-year-old. He might be a grandfather, but why put that description in the headline rather than "42-year-old-man"?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:53:02 PM EDT
There's a valuable message here:

When people drink they are not in control of themselves. I bet this man normally was a very good man who wouldn't hurt people. Unfortunately, drunk people lose control.

I'm sad that it turned out like this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:57:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
"Grandfather" is a somewhat deceptiive term for a 42-year-old. He might be a grandfather, but why put that description in the headline rather than "42-year-old-man"?

+1.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:03:55 PM EDT

+1
I was expecting some guy in his 70s. I don't know what the guy was thinking. The cop was right and I have no sympathy for the idiot
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:05:49 PM EDT
It's the cops fault
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:09:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:
I wasn't there, but I would have shot his ass if he attacked me with a baton.

[Katie Couric] But couldn't you just like shoot him in the ARM? [/Katie Couric]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:10:34 PM EDT
Sounds like a good shoot to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:18:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By justice23:
It's the cops fault

No, get it right! It's Bushs' fault!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:26:04 PM EDT

Admiral Crunch, Meet AR15fan.

AR15fan, say hello to Admiral Crunch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:29:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:34:32 PM EDT
Well I guess he will never do that again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:36:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By justice23:
It's the cops fault

If the motorcycle rider was 15 with his little brother on the back, this would definately be the case.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:40:09 PM EDT
"Hey Cop, shoot me!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:43:20 PM EDT
This would have been a perfect taser opportunity.

I hate violent drunks, I really do...

But giving this guy a ride on the taser til' the battery plum wore out would have seemed somehow more fitting.

"shrugs"

Meh.

It pays to be polite when you are pulled over.

If you were sober enough to actually DRIVE a scoot, you are sober enough to be polite.

Out.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:17:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dramborleg:

Nope. TASER is not an appropriate response to a deadly weapon. TASER is for resisting or fighting suspects who are unarmed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:33:15 PM EDT
Again, it sucks to be Kenneth Drinkard, 42, Grandfather, of Jamul.

Good shoot deputy., Hope you get through it well.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:37:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Nope. TASER is not an appropriate response to a deadly weapon. TASER is for resisting or fighting suspects who are unarmed.

People have been beaten to death with fists too. Probably more than with batons
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:38:52 PM EDT

This would have been a perfect pistol opportunity.

Fixed!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:39:24 PM EDT
what kind of "good dad" goes and gets killed by the popo at the ripe old age of 42??

Note to the women in the Drinkard clan: put down the dick
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:40:00 PM EDT
Bang, bang.

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT

He would never hurt nobody

...So that's why he acted like he did?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:43:55 PM EDT
And the dog??!! Somebody, PULEEEEZE tell me that the dog is ok!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:17:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
If you are going to take something from a cop's belt and assault them with it, why pick the baton?? That is just stupid.

The deputy was probably trying to take the guy down and the suspect just started grabbing at gear on the deputy's duty belt. He came up with the baton and decided to run with he "brung".
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:53:43 PM EDT
I have mixed feelings...
For the record I am neither pro LEO or anti LEO, however I do tend to side with the LEO more often than not.
For those who have met me know I am not a particularly big guy, however I used to be a doorman/bouncer at a bar (Downtown Houston). Drunks and other abusers by the dozens (not to mention the aggressive homeless guys). I do not think that someone who is as professionally trained as our LEO are should have to resort to ending the life of a guy armed with a stick. Crap I would go toe-to-toe with the guy sight unseen armed only with a 4-cell maglight (heck maybe I can make the cap to pop off!!!). To me this is a legal shoot and the LEO should not face any type of charges, however personally I think (morally) it was not the correct choice. This would have been a perfect Tazer opportunity. A knife would have kicked it up to "gun zone", but not a wrestling match/ baton.
LEO's do get scuffles every now and then...If the guy was in such fear of his life maybe he needs to recheck his career choice. My initial thoughts are he is either old or out of shape.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:03:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tonster:
I have mixed feelings...
For the record I am neither pro LEO or anti LEO, however I do tend to side with the LEO more often than not.
For those who have met me know I am not a particularly big guy, however I used to be a doorman/bouncer at a bar (Downtown Houston). Drunks and other abusers by the dozens (not to mention the aggressive homeless guys). I do not think that someone who is as professionally trained as our LEO are should have to resort to ending the life of a guy armed with a stick. Crap I would go toe-to-toe with the guy sight unseen armed only with a 4-cell maglight (heck maybe I can make the cap to pop off!!!). To me this is a legal shoot and the LEO should not face any type of charges, however personally I think (morally) it was not the correct choice. This would have been a perfect Tazer opportunity. A knife would have kicked it up to "gun zone", but not a wrestling match/ baton.
LEO's do get scuffles every now and then...If the guy was in such fear of his life maybe he needs to recheck his career choice. My initial thoughts are he is either old or out of shape.

Dude, a collapsing baton will break bones and crush skulls. Why the hell should a guy have to fight a fair fight against that? He might get hurt!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:07:37 PM EDT
good
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
It was Deer Woman!!!!

- rem
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:10:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

"He was a good dad and just became a grandpa. He would never hurt nobody," she said.

HE was certainly trying to........
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:21 PM EDT

I have mixed feelings...

If this went down as I imagined it did; I would have also shot the suspect. Regardless of the level of DT/artial art training an officer has, if a weapon is being employed against them, lethal force is justified. When it comes to the baton being less lethal than the knife or gun, this is false. A single blow to the head (or other body parts) with a baton can cause death, serious bodily injury, or injure the officer to a point that he looses control of his firearm and is killed (or others are killed).

The Taser is not, and has never been, designed to be used in response to lethal force threats.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:18:17 PM EDT
Good shoot.....NEXT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:20:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

I have mixed feelings...

If this went down as I imagined it did; I would have also shot the suspect. Regardless of the level of DT/artial art training an officer has, if a weapon is being employed against them, lethal force is justified. When it comes to the baton being less lethal than the knife or gun, this is false. A single blow to the head (or other body parts) with a baton can cause death, serious bodily injury, or injure the officer to a point that he looses control of his firearm and is killed (or others are killed).

The Taser is not, and has never been, designed to be used in response to lethal force threats.

You would be suprised how many people cannot get your last sentence through their heads no matter how much air you waste trying to convince them, even some police administrators.

Con-sim is the only way to get through sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:23:37 PM EDT

I have mixed feelings...

I have a German Gummi Stick. One hit with that and I could cave your skull in without even trying. ASPs are nasty buggers also, especially if flailed around by someone unskilled in strikes.[A gummi Stick is a rubber coated spring steel cored nightstick] I seriously doubt if Mr Drunkard was trying for muscle group strikes, he was probably aiming for the head. Sounds like a bad day for a 42 year old moron, and a good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:27:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bfieldburt:

Originally Posted By sslocal:

"He was a good dad and just became a grandpa. He would never hurt nobody," she said

Unless a baton is nearby and a policeman looks at him the wrong way .

Again--because so many people can't seem to figure it out....

STUPID HURTS....SOMETIMES STUPID GETS SHOT AND IS THEN DEAD.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:30:09 PM EDT

I have mixed feelings...

Thank you for your politely stated opinion.

Now mine: I am 6'3, 225lbs and have been in countless fights and scuffles in 8 years as LEO. I am 30 and in good shape. I love this job and have never needed to re-check my career. Wanna wrestle/fight? Fine, you get Tased. Wanna swing a baton at me? Fine, you get shot. I have no intention of hoping the baton does not hit my head and kill me / give me permanent brain damage, break my neck, etc...........It all seems so simple to me, but hey what do I know, I'm only out there ACTUALLY dealing with these people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:31:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 8:31:52 PM EDT by _DR]

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:36:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wraithtouch:
Good shoot.....NEXT

+1,Wow thats the third shoot I have judged tonight.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:36:57 PM EDT
Let me see. Cop had night stick, taser, gun, spray etc. Cop pulled Drunkerd over because he suspected he was drunk and wanted a collar, or really wanted to save the poor guys life as he was driving too bad. Drunkert had no weapons, and had just gotten off a motorcycle so he was in plain view. I'm seeing no helmet and no shirt either.

Question: What was the cop doing with so many weapons that he could not seem to control their use? Although we don't know where the bullet entered the guy and from what distance the shot was fired, it could be Drunkerd was shot in the back from 30 feet. You might think differently with a balistics report that showed those results.

It never ceases to amaze me LE's techniques in dealing with drunk unruly people who do not have guns. Just get in the guy's face with all your weapons, that you have no clue how to secure, allow the guy to take a weapon from you and then since you feel threatned, or pissed (if ballistics did show shot in back at 30 ft) just shoot the guy. Why not just throw him the stick to begin with?

Sorry--- cop's fault.

Failure to secure his weapons.

Failure in not knowing how to subdue stick wielding person with non legal means.

Failure for not allowing the drunk to just run down Deerfield Road at 3:30 PM (where was he going anyway--home? His daughter was nearby), that he had to chase the guy and deliver at least 2 potentially deadly weapons so that they could be used against himself. (Go to his house at 6AM and arrest him after you wake him.)

I'm not a LE officer, yet an appropriate police action might include something far different than killing someone.

This all hinges on ballistics report as if the wound was point blank and the cop suffered bruzes would favor the cop. Doesn't rule out his negligence in allowing a drunk to get his club. Lucky it wasn't the gun Drunkert managed to get the reason the cop is on leave--perhaps to the gym for defensive club training, how to deal with drunks etc. Drunkert was drunk and not responsible for his actions, the cop was responsible for his: having to take lethal action to resolve the fact that he did not secure his weapons.

I favor LE using lethal force to subdue attackers provided it is necessary. I favor managing the security of weapons. There was a 6 year old who took a gun to a day care center today and shot another kid. The more guns are used to kill people in this country the more it hurts the shooting sports industry that we all should work to avoid accidents and people getting killed---anyone-- even if it is a drunk with a club, a club he should not have been allowed to get ahold of.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:43:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By go4it:
Let me see. Cop had night stick, taser, gun, spray etc. Cop pulled Drunkerd over because he suspected he was drunk and wanted a collar, or really wanted to save the poor guys life as he was driving too bad. Drunkert had no weapons, and had just gotten off a motorcycle so he was in plain view. I'm seeing no helmet and no shirt either.

Question: What was the cop doing with so many weapons that he could not seem to control their use? Although we don't know where the bullet entered the guy and from what distance the shot was fired, it could be Drunkerd was shot in the back from 30 feet. You might think differently with a balistics report that showed those results.

It never ceases to amaze me LE's techniques in dealing with drunk unruly people who do not have guns. Just get in the guy's face with all your weapons, that you have no clue how to secure, allow the guy to take a weapon from you and then since you feel threatned, or pissed (if ballistics did show shot in back at 30 ft) just shoot the guy. Why not just throw him the stick to begin with?

Sorry--- cop's fault.

Failure in not knowing how to subdue stick wielding person with non legal means.

Failure for not allowing the drunk to just run down Deerfield Road at 3:30 PM (where was he going anyway--home? His daughter was nearby), that he had to chase the guy and deliver at least 2 potentially deadly weapons so that they could be used against himself. (Go to his house at 6AM and arrest him after you wake him.)

I'm not a LE officer, yet an appropriate police action might include something far different than killing someone.

This all hinges on ballistics report as if the wound was point blank and the cop suffered bruzes would favor the cop. Doesn't rule out his negligence in allowing a drunk to get his club. Lucky it wasn't the gun Drunkert managed to get the reason the cop is on leave--perhaps to the gym for defensive club training, how to deal with drunks etc. Drunkert was drunk and not responsible for his actions, the cop was responsible for his: having to take lethal action to resolve the fact that he did not secure his weapons.

I favor LE using lethal force to subdue attackers provided it is necessary. I favor managing the security of weapons. There was a 6 year old who took a gun to a day care center today and shot another kid. The more guns are used to kill people in this country the more it hurts the shooting sports industry that we all should work to avoid accidents and people getting killed---anyone-- even if it is a drunk with a club, a club he should not have been allowed to get ahold of.

It isn't humanly possible to attempt to take someone into custody and perform rentention on every piece of gear on your duty belt. If you are doing that you must be part octopus. Some of your comments makes it sound like you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:47:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

It isn't humanly possible to attempt to take someone into custody and perform rentention on every piece of gear on your duty belt. If you are doing that you must be part octopus. Some of your comments makes it sound like you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about here.

Total BS NCP. First you put one hand on your pistol. Then you secure your ASP with another. Put another one on your O.C and yet another your knife. That leave two of your hands free for the handcuffing. Let's just hope you don't carry a backup pistol because you will soon run out of hands. If you train hard enough and are in shape, you can use all six hands correctly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:13:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By go4it:
Let me see. Cop had night stick, taser,(didn't see anything about a taser) gun, spray (maybe, maybe not)etc. Cop pulled Drunkerd over because he suspected he was drunk and wanted a collar, or really wanted to save the poor guys life as he was driving too bad. Drunkert had no weapons, and had just gotten off a motorcycle so he was in plain view. I'm seeing no helmet and no shirt either.

Question: What was the cop doing with so many weapons that he could not seem to control their use? (Many cops are killed with their own weapons. There is always someone more badass than you. )Although we don't know where the bullet entered the guy and from what distance the shot was fired, it could be Drunkerd was shot in the back from 30 feet. You might think differently with a balistics report that showed those results.(You should be a writer for CSI. I did not find that info in the article)

BS

Sorry--- cop's fault.

(You got my weapon. You win. I will die now)

Sounds like the officer used legal means. Bang. Bang.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:39:13 AM EDT
+1

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Sounds like a good shoot to me.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:50:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 1:50:26 AM EDT by Stealth]
Good shoot! IF the policeman was telling the truth and didn't plant whatever extra weapon (baton) he had on the guy after the shoot.

I don't know the truth, neither does anyone else except the policeman in question.

I tend to hate these stories, as there's no way to ever actually know what happened.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top