Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 6:32:39 AM EDT
hey all. im starting to get real serious with going into the CG. just looking for any advice, or info you guys can give me. right now im still in high school. but i am graduating this june. i have always been around the water, and i have my Advanced Open Water, for any divers on here. what about pros and cons. should i sign up before college or after? whats the best way to go about the CG. id really like to get into the law enforcment part of the CG. i cant think of anything else right now.

thanks guys.

take it easy
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess you've talked to a recruiter? I'd let him know what you would like to do and then get everything in writing as to what he promises you. No experience with the Coast Guard but was part of the 'Corps for awhile. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It might be too late to apply, but have you considered the USCG Academy? I don't think you need a Congressional appointment (long time since I looked at it). It's the USCG's service academy.

I went through all this stuff when I graduated. What I was told is the USCG is great. I was told there's more jobs that the USCG had fewer "non sailing" jobs than the Navy. So you had a better chance of actually being on the water if that's what you wanted. Also, (except for the occasional overseas deployment, they do them in the USCG. Many people don't know that) you spend more time at home than Navy guys get to. So I'm told it's a great choice in those respects.

Of course, when some idiot gets himself in trouble in bad weather when no sailor in his right mind would be on the water, you get to go out and get his ass.

Lots of cool stuff in the USCG though. On the LEO side there's everything from Port Security to counter-drug. A buddy of mine did counter drug ops when he was aboard a OHP Frigate not long ago, and they often worked with USCG cutters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
damn, sounds like you're pretty locked on! just make sure if you're promised something it's in writing and read the fine print as far as obligation of the uscgs to provide a boatspace for you in your chosen mos (not just an offer of training). does the uscgs use the mos system?

i say do it now and go to college while in. if it's anything like the .mil, they'll pay for most of it if not all! can't beat that!

good luck, coastie!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess you've talked to a recruiter? I'd let him know what you would like to do and then get everything in writing as to what he promises you. No experience with the Coast Guard but was part of the 'Corps for awhile. Good luck!

im going to in march. right now im away at school so its kind of hard. but i have talked to them on the phone. have not had the meeting yet . thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It might be too late to apply, but have you considered the USCG Academy? I don't think you need a Congressional appointment (long time since I looked at it). It's the USCG's service academy.

I went through all this stuff when I graduated. What I was told is the USCG is great. I was told there's more jobs that the USCG had fewer "non sailing" jobs than the Navy. So you had a better chance of actually being on the water if that's what you wanted. Also, (except for the occasional overseas deployment, they do them in the USCG. Many people don't know that) you spend more time at home than Navy guys get to. So I'm told it's a great choice in those respects.

Of course, when some idiot gets himself in trouble in bad weather when no sailor in his right mind would be on the water, you get to go out and get his ass.

Lots of cool stuff in the USCG though. On the LEO side there's everything from Port Security to counter-drug. A buddy of mine did counter drug ops when he was aboard a OHP Frigate not long ago, and they often worked with USCG cutters.

i have looked at the academy, but i dont think i would get accepted. i have gone thou for an open house. i really do want to be out on the water. i have my boating license, and always love being around boats. so it kinda seems like the place. i would thou like to be deployed over seas. when i went at looked at the base in new london, the guy told that 80% is people that want to and the other 20% is people that have to. i think it would be fun to go out in the surf of a storm. probably gets you to pucker up pretty good. but  looks like it would be one hell of a ride.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i have looked at the academy, but i dont think i would get accepted.

Why not apply and let THEM decide that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
damn, sounds like you're pretty locked on! just make sure if you're promised something it's in writing and read the fine print as far as obligation of the uscgs to provide a boatspace for you in your chosen mos (not just an offer of training). does the uscgs use the mos system?

i say do it now and go to college while in. if it's anything like the .mil, they'll pay for most of it if not all! can't beat that!

good luck, coastie!

yeah, im really startin to like this. yeah i was on military.com and they had tips on what to ask the recruiter, and have him write things down and what not. i guess they have a dream list at the end of boot camp and you get to list the 10 top choices on where you want to be stationed. i dont know what the mos is. thanks

and also can anyone tell me about law enforcment  careers?

thanks again everyone
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have looked at the academy, but i dont think i would get accepted.

Why not apply and let THEM decide that?

i think it might be to late. and i didnt get into mass maritime academy. i need to get some of my credits up, before they will let me go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in the USCG for 6 years active duty and am still in the reserves. If you want to be active duty and get into the LE stuff and driving small boats around look at being a Boatswain Mate or even an MK. As a BM you could be stationed at any of the stations pretty much anywhere around the country plus they have MSST teams that deploy all over the place. You also have the option to go to the cutters if you want to be on a ship. They do have a Port Security rating but that is a Reserve Rating (even though they are activated most of the time now). The Coast Guard also has Diver billets and you can apply at almost any point in your career as long as you are fit enough.

While active duty you can get $4500 a year for college plus you will have your GI Bill if you get out (I'm using mine now, it's nice) The pay has also gotten alot better since GWB took office. If you want to be out on the water saving people or doing LE your best chance is to go enlisted.

IM me and ask any questions you want, I'll try to answer them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was in the USCG for 6 years active duty and am still in the reserves. If you want to be active duty and get into the LE stuff and driving small boats around look at being a Boatswain Mate or even an MK. As a BM you could be stationed at any of the stations pretty much anywhere around the country plus they have MSST teams that deploy all over the place. You also have the option to go to the cutters if you want to be on a ship. They do have a Port Security rating but that is a Reserve Rating (even though they are activated most of the time now). The Coast Guard also has Diver billets and you can apply at almost any point in your career as long as you are fit enough.

While active duty you can get $4500 a year for college plus you will have your GI Bill if you get out (I'm using mine now, it's nice) The pay has also gotten alot better since GWB took office. If you want to be out on the water saving people or doing LE your best chance is to go enlisted.

IM me and ask any questions you want, I'll try to answer them.

i want to go active duty. and thats what i have really been looking into, is the LE stuff. but id like to be on a 87ft 110ft or the new 123ft patrol boats. but i think the BM was the way i was going to go, and i would love to do the MSST. it seems like most of the guys that do the BT, MSST and are in the LEDET seem to be the BM's.  right now i feel im pretty fit. im on the wrestling team, and i race in white water kayaking.  and i think enlisted is the best way to go, from what i have seen. thanks for all the help.

take care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Ahhhh, the Knee Deep Navy..

snicker...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Good luck.  

I always wished I could've done a stint in the Coast Guard - especially after they came out with the TV series.  I loved that show.

thank you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

snicker...

ive thought about the Navy,  but it just seems like there is more open in the CG, while you are active and for when you get out. and you get to do more being on a smaller boat like the 123 patrol boat, then a destroyer. The CG does alot of work with the Navy from what i have seen latly. but right now the CG seems liek the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

snicker...

What do Navy brats call Coasties ?

Daddy
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a lot of Coastie friends that I affectionately call "Puddle Pirates", the USCG by itself is one of the largest Naval Forces in the world.

Go Coastie LE and have some real fun though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a lot of Coastie friends that I affectionately call "Puddle Pirates", the USCG by itself is one of the largest Naval Forces in the world.

Go Coastie LE and have some real fun though.

thats what im thinking about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]
kind of an update. but i got accepted to valley forge military academy college. has anyone gone there? good or bad school. might not be bad to go there for the 2 years. any thought?

also, if anyone has anything else with the CG. please post
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#19]
You might want to check out the discussion board at Fred's Place.  There is a lot of good information on there.

By the way my son is going into the CG after he graduates HS.  The recruiter was very helpful.  Heck, if they'd take me at 46 when I retire, I'd go in!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You might want to check out the discussion board at Fred's Place.  There is a lot of good information on there.

By the way my son is going into the CG after he graduates HS.  The recruiter was very helpful.  Heck, if they'd take me at 46 when I retire, I'd go in!

thanks for the web add. when is your son graduating?  i wish him good luck.

take care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top