Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:53:35 AM EDT

I was talking to a woman I work with and somehow got around to mentioning that I haven't been to a dentist in many years.

It turns out she has a friend who will be finished with dental school in May. This friend has been looking for people who haven't been to a dentist in a while. She wants to do a screening, cleaning, and any minor repair work needed. They wanted to know if I'd volunteer for it.

Plusses:

-free dental work
-the friend is supposedly a good looking female

Minuses:
-I hate going to the dentist
-Student dentists, fucks up and ruins my teeth

Would you do it?

I'm leaning towards "yes" based solely on the fact that the friend is a good looking female.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#1]
btt.

Anyone ever have a student dentist screw up and ruin your teeth?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Just go and have your teeth cleaned. At least that's still practice for her.

Now if she's REALLY HOT .... then ask her to give you a root canal! She will love you for that!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, let her do it.

Since she's still a student she will probably be more careful/gentle than most.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have done it before.  Cleaning and checkup isnt a big deal.  Repair work should be supervised since she is still a student.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]
If she's a D4 then she's basically a doctor. There isn't any residency for dental students - after 4 years, they go straight to doing dentistry. I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Go see her, but at the Dental School Clinic.  She will be supervised by a Professor with oversight.  Don't wait until May when she graduates.  I had my wisdom teeth taken out at the Dental School clinic while I was attending law school.  A prof supervised the whole procedure.  The clinics usually charge a reduced price.  Plus I also got a student discount.  The downside- make sure she doesn't have HIV.  There was a HIV+ dental student at my university.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go see her, but at the Dental School Clinic.  She will be supervised by a Professor with oversight.  Don't wait until May when she graduates.  I had my wisdom teeth taken out at the Dental School clinic while I was attending law school.  A prof supervised the whole procedure.  The clinics usually charge a reduced price.  Plus I also got a student discount.  The downside- make sure she doesn't have HIV.  There was a HIV+ dental student at my university.

They need to put that on the front door of her office.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#9]
my grandma had al her teeth work down at a dental school in loma linda, by student dentists.

still had all her teeth into her 90's
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I my middle sis is a dentist and her husband is also a dentist, as part of their procedure to be certified as a DDS/DDM.  By the time they finished dental school they are qualified to work on your teeth, just that they may not have been certificifed to put DDS/DDM on her name.  I think this gal is undergoing the procedure to get her DDS/DDM from the state dental board, or whoever regulates dentists in  Wisc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was quite the issue.  Their identity was never revealed as I remember.  It was 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
No.  

Nor would I ever attempt to deceive them that my dentures were stolen off the sink while I was in the bathroom taking a crap.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was quite the issue.  Their identity was never revealed as I remember.  It was 10 years ago.

I think the issue is not transmission from "dentist to patient," but from "patient to dentist."  In the process of cleaning your teeth, the gums bleed a bit and when they use the water powered "dental pick," the dentist could get splattered with some blood, and they are really close to you.  When my sis works on my teeth, she wears a clear full face mask similar to the one used in a metal/wood workshop, and face mask to prevent breathing in anything, and a googles to protect her eyes, and I'm not even remotely sick etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#14]
From what I have heard...it usually is a real good thing. They tend to be much more carefull, since they are being evaluated on the work they do....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not?  I don't think it could be any worse than a regular dentist.  But then again I've never had competent medical care in my life.  In fact I've never had medical care that wasn't so bad it was life threatening.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No.  

Nor would I ever attempt to deceive them that my dentures were stolen off the sink while I was in the bathroom taking a crap.  

Which is good, because a motivated student might track you down and get them back anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Plusses:

-the friend is supposedly a good looking female

need I say, POST PICS!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]
NO FUCKING WAY

The last 'student bitch' that put her fingers in my mouth filled THE WRONG FUCKING TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead, you cheap bastards, see what happens.  

I did.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
HELL NO

You get enough pain with dentists that have done it for decades... Don't need some n00b hacking and banging your mouth around...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Red_Beard: BTW: if you play your cards right, you may get more than just a teeth cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No.  

Which is good, because a motivated student might track you down and get them back anyway.

Heard that somewhere before, huh?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't even like real dentits near my mouth.  They are the demonic spawns of satan.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I had some dental work done at WVU in the 60s.  As part of the dentist's "final" he had to do a gold inlay.

Still there, looks great.  The student was David Corn.  I have no idea why I still remember his name.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes. Do it, if you have the TIME. The students are well-supervised, and will give you work that is technically excellent. The treatment plan will be decided by the instructors (make certain you tell them your expectations, cost wise). The major DOWN side is time. Students need to be checked at various points in the procedure. They also need to make things IDEAL--- PERFECT!!! This means that something a dentist can do in 30 minutes will take 3 hours.

And, not only is that a serious hit on your time, but worse, that is a serious time for any surgical wound (even in dentine) to remain open. Thus, sometimes shooting for PERFECTION (as a student must do) is not PERFECT.

Still, you'll get great treatment overall. Working on the wrong tooth is highly unlikely, in that setting. Students are required to get a starting "check" from the instructor (at least at UCSF and UCLA).
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#27]
At this point?

Have at!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If she's a D4 then she's basically a doctor. There isn't any residency for dental students - after 4 years, they go straight to doing dentistry. I'd go for it.

After finding out more it appears you're right.

She's already got a fair amount of practice and will be graduating in May. Once she's out she'll be opening up her own shop.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
At this point?

Have at!

It's been 16 years since I've been to a dentist ...

She'll probably touch them with the scraper and they'll all fall out.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
btt.

Anyone ever have a student dentist screw up and ruin your teeth?

A few years ago my son was seen by a student dentist who was being supervised by the regular dentist.  He had one (his first) cavity but he had two fillings because the student screwed up and filled the wrong tooth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#31]
thats called practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top