Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:36:24 PM EDT
How is the recoil of a bolt action 30.06 compared to a Garand?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be worse given the rifle is of comperable weight. If the bolt gun gets to be heavier than the garand (doubt it) then it might be more mild.

ETA: given the same bullet weights and what not too smart guys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It's sharper and quicker, kind of a slap compared to a punch.  Plus you get more of a kick up.  I used to drive a retired Cavalry Colonel to the Navy Hospital or Ft. MacArthur clinic.  He told me that those that learned shooting with a Springfield leave their thums along the right side of the stock and Garand shooters learned with their thumbs across the stock.

How do I know?  Meet a few of my close friends -

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the bolt gun’s weight – a light weight 30-06 bolt gun will thump you noticeably, esp. with heavier bullets.

To my mind, Garands barely kick at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Lot more.  I've fired m-14 and bolt 30-06.  You feel it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

m14 is .308
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
bump for day crew
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The bolt rifle shooting the same ammo as a Garand will probably have a little bit more of a kick. That is if both rifles weigh about the same. The kick of a 30-06 rifle isn't bad by any means. If you hold the stock tight to your shoulder you will have no problems.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The bolt rifle shooting the same ammo as a Garand will probably have a little bit more of a kick. That is if both rifles weigh about the same. The kick of a 30-06 rifle isn't bad by any means. If you hold the stock tight to your shoulder you will have no problems.

I have a Model 70 Featherweight that wants to discuss this with you.  It wants to dispel any misconception about the term "bruised and sore".
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#9]
A semi is typically a bit heavier and the recoil pulse is spread out over a long time because some of the weight of the gun is in motion during the recoil.

rj
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
The correct answers have already been posted but I will say a gas operated semi auto action absorbs  some of the recoil.  The M1 being heavier than most bolt actions will let you feel less recoil so the combination of the two can make it seen a lot less with the M1 than say a very light bolt action rifle.

If you were firing 180 grain bullets in the bolt and say 150 or 165 grain bullets in the M1 that would make an additional difference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Given firing the identical round and both rifles having identical weight, the bolt rifle will still have a more pronounced recoil.  Part of the recoil in a semi auto rifle is absorbed by the operating mechanism (recoil spring and bolt travel).  Add to this that typically bolt rifles are lighter than semi's then you have an additional increase in "felt" recoil.  Really simple physics of mass and inertia and opposing forces.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Model 70 Featherweight that wants to discuss this with you.  It wants to dispel any misconception about the term "bruised and sore".

You must have missed the part I wrote saying "if both rifles weigh about the same". I know a feather weight isn't as heavy as a Garand or even a standard bolt rifle.

As far as a bruised and sore shoulder, maybe your not holding the rifle right. You have to pull the butt of the stock tight into your shoulder so the recoil gives you a shove. If you hold it loose then you get a punch from the butt.  Or maybe your more sesitive to recoil then I am, I think a 30-06 is a mild round.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got an old JC Higgins model 50(FN mauser made for sears) in 30.06.  that thing gets old after the second box of 180s.  it'll beat you up pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag lever BLR, and 308Win gas guns, to me the recoil is about the same, the gas guns will spread the recoil over a longer period of time, whereas the bolt gun you will feel it right away.  Same anology goes for semi-auto pistols and revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

m14 is .308

Uhh.. close enough?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've got an old JC Higgins model 50(FN mauser made for sears) in 30.06.  that thing gets old after the second box of 180s.  it'll beat you up pretty good.

I know some one that would love to have that higgy to go along with the JC higgins 16 ga. bolt shotgun that was his very first firearm.  And it still looks cherry after almost 60 years.  (I have to clean it for him and it has not been fired in 20 years, but I will be getting it in the will and I guarantee that it will NEVER be sold.  Neither will any of the others that will go along with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know some one that would love to have that higgy to go along with the JC higgins 16 ga. bolt shotgun that was his very first firearm.  And it still looks cherry after almost 60 years.  (I have to clean it for him and it has not been fired in 20 years, but I will be getting it in the will and I guarantee that it will NEVER be sold.  Neither will any of the others that will go along with it.

My great grandfather fed his family with this rifle, I think I'm keeping it
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have missed the part I wrote saying "if both rifles weigh about the same". I know a feather weight isn't as heavy as a Garand or even a standard bolt rifle.

As far as a bruised and sore shoulder, maybe your not holding the rifle right. You have to pull the butt of the stock tight into your shoulder so the recoil gives you a shove. If you hold it loose then you get a punch from the butt.  Or maybe your more sesitive to recoil then I am, I think a 30-06 is a mild round.

Of course I read your post; didn't need it to understand the physics, but I did anyway.

I would be interested in the number of consecutive rounds you have fired from a 6.5# .30-06 rifle.  I'm pretty well versed on the subtleties of hold, and that ain't it.

Okay, you think the .30-06 is mild; we got that part, too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I read your post; didn't need it to understand the physics, but I did anyway.

I would be interested in the number of consecutive rounds you have fired from a 6.5# .30-06 rifle.  I'm pretty well versed on the subtleties of hold, and that ain't it.

Okay, you think the .30-06 is mild; we got that part, too.

Didn't intend to flame you with my post, just thought you might have missed what I said. I guess I assumed that because you quoted my post in your reply.

Never fired a 30-06 in a 6-1/2lb. rifle myself. I'm sure it adds much to the felt recoil.

Just looked up some figures for recoil energy and typical for a 30-06 is around 20lbs. give or take a few depending on load and rifle used. Never fired a really big magnum myself but the recoil energy of some of them is over 100lbs. and thats heavy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top