www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1565628/posts

GAME OVER MAN!!!

Say hello to Justice Alito Dem scum!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:09:42 AM EDT
That makes three that I know of.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:11:13 AM EDT

so what's the tally now?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:13:08 AM EDT
Byrd probably woke from his stupor long enough to hear Kennedy say Alito was a racist.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:13:42 AM EDT
3 D's voting for Alito.

Total tally is Yes 54, No 29.

It'll be over before the State of the Union on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:14:42 AM EDT

sweet!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:28:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 11:44:04 AM EDT by raven]
Well, it's not like Alito is black.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 12:23:01 PM EDT by imposter]
Here are some things Byrd said today:

Many people and including foremost, as I say, the people of West Virginia in most uncertain terms, were, frankly, appalled by the Alito hearings. I don't want to say it but I must. They were appalled. In the reams of correspondence that I received during the Alito hearings, West Virginians — the people I represent — West Virginians who wrote to criticize the way in which the hearings were conducted used the same two words. People with no connection to one another, people of different faiths, different views, different opinions, independently and respectively used the same two words to describe the hearings. They called them an “outrage” and a “disgrace.” . . .

It is especially telling that many who objected to the way in which the Alito hearings were conducted do not support Judge Alito. In fact, it is sorely apparent that even many who oppose Judge Alito's nomination also oppose the seemingly made-for-TV antics that accompanied the hearings. . . .

And then there were the media and the media's contribution to the deterioration of this very important constitutional process. Mr. President, was it really necessary to subject Mrs. Alito to the harsh glare of the television klieg lights as she fled the hearing room in tears? Fighting to maintain her dignity in response to others, with precious little of their own?

I regret that we have come to a place in our history when both political parties, both political parties exhibit such a take-no prisoners attitude. All sides seek to use the debate over a Supreme Court nominee to air their particular wish list for or against abortion, euthanasia, executive authority, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, corporate greed, and dozens of other subjects.
All of these issues should be debated but the battle line should not be drawn on the Judiciary. It should be debated by the peoples' representatives right here in the legislative branch. However, too many Americans apparently believe that if they cannot get Congress to address an issue then they must take it to the Court. As the saying goes: "if you can't change the law, change the judge."

This kind of thinking represents a gross misinterpretation of the separation of powers. It is the role of the Congress, the role of the legislative branch to make and change the laws. Supreme Court justices exist to interpret laws and be sure that they square with the Constitution and with law.

It is almost like he gets it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:24:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By imposter:

It's almost like he's up for re-election.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:24:49 PM EDT

nope, more like he's got a tough re-election bid coming up.

;)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 7:51:03 PM EDT by NYPatriot]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:51:13 PM EDT
Hey I posted his whole floor statement and everyone here ignored it.

At DU they were going batshyte
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:24:48 PM EDT
He is a ole bired. heh but i like him. He likes the constitution. The dems that run my state have been good to us for the most part. Hell they are pretty lax on the gun laws as far as i know.

Byrd is funny to listen to when he speaks. haha. Crazy bastard
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:32:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arfreak74:

;)

neither of you know what you are talking about. he don't give a shit - he's ancient and is the norther version of Strom Thurmond. He ain't going know where. And he is more interested in doing the right thing in this matter than being a hack, despite his past record.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:36:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TURNSKULL:
He is a ole bired. heh but i like him. He likes the constitution. The dems that run my state have been good to us for the most part. Hell they are pretty lax on the gun laws as far as i know.

Oh yea Sheets Byrd is a real friend of the Constitution… He used to use it to light the Crosses.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 8:37:33 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Here's your Robert Byrd:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:27:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:11:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arfreak74:

;)

Or Alzheimer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:15:15 PM EDT
I can't believe any one would vote for that fucker.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 2:20:57 PM EDT by HardShell]
Well, you know what they say: "A Byrd in the hand beats the anti-Bush crap..."
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:21:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:21:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By imposter:
Byrd probably woke from his stupor long enough to hear Kennedy say Alito was a racist.

That's funny
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:29:09 PM EDT
I heard on the radio today that Byrd is up for re-election.

I would imagine that West Virginia has more than its share of pro-life, and otherwise conservative voters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:09:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TURNSKULL:

The doddering old fucker is pretty much election-proof. He does what he wants.

Byrd and Rockefeller both suck on firearm issues. They both backed Brady, the AWB, and the federal gun show bill.

In the House and on the local level, W.Va. Democrats as a whole aren't bad on guns. In any other state, most of them would be Republicans, albeit Republicans with a healthy appetite for government pork.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:31:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWS:

I would imagine that West Virginia has more than its share of pro-life, and otherwise conservative voters.

It does. Democrats in WV are socially conservative.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:39:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:

It does. Democrats in WV are socially conservative.

'Cept for the senators. One is so senile that he thinks he is a houseplant and the other is a carpetbagger from New York.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:42:54 PM EDT
Why that state elects those two boobs I've never figured out except they Dems and in WV you vote Dem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:47:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Why that state elects those two boobs I've never figured out except they Dems and in WV you vote Dem.

[Cletus]"My granddaddy was a Democrat, my daddy was a Democrat and by God, I'm a Democrat."[/Cletus]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:11:09 PM EDT
Byrd gets this state a lot of money. That's how he gets re-elected all the time. Also it is NOT PORK. It is money being spent to keep Americans working. I don't care how much money any Congressman spends if it's for jobs in America that is great. Sending a big friggin check overseas doesn't get us squat. Byrd gets us road money and our dumbass DEMOCRAT Govenor doesn't reauthorize the five cent tax on gas to generate money for road building. He also dropped the food tax 1% If I spend $100 i'll save an entire $1. WHAT WILL I DO WITH ALL THE SAVINGS!

He pisses me off with his anti-gun bullshit. I went to a new road dedication ceremony and he rambled on about the tree-huggers having the 1st amendment right to protest building the highway even though it basically DOUBLES the cost. He always pulls out his copy of the constitution and waves it around when he's yaking. I wanted so bad to yell "WHAT ABOUT THE SECOND AMENDMENT THERE BOOOOOOOOOOB!" It's really aggravating because like the Alito vote, a lot of times he does the right thing. He voted to impeach Clinton. He said that even though he didn't believe it rose to the level of kicking him out of office he was indeed guilty and was impeached. I have to admire him for that. But I ALWAYS vote against him!

I case you missed it I work in the highway construction industry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:52:38 PM EDT
He probably is still sharp enough to know they aren't going to win this one and to waste political capital on it is futile.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT by Gun-fan]

You'd be wrong. Whatever the "slate" tells them to vote is what will happen. Byrd is to WV what Thurmond was to SC. Having lived both places I speak from experience. WV is NOT a Republican state. Bush only won because of the 2nd amaendment in WV. Evidenced by a Rep winning the Presidency and a Dem beating an incumbent Rep for governor. Dream on about WV, but that state is definately a Dem state.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:24:05 PM EDT

Mr. President, was it really necessary to subject Mrs. Alito to the harsh glare of the television klieg lights as she fled the hearing room in tears? Fighting to maintain her dignity in response to others, with precious little of their own?

Huh???? What did the President have to do with that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
Top Top