Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 7:08:52 AM EDT
Iran wants direct civilian flights to United States
Reuters News   01/26/06
(C) Reuters Limited 2006.

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has asked the United States to allow direct flights between the two countries after a break of more than two decades, a senior civil aviation official said on Thursday.

The request comes as the United States and its European Union allies are pressing for the Islamic Republic to be reported to the United Nations Security Council where it could face possible sanctions for its nuclear programme.

"We sent a letter to the relevant American officials on Wednesday, announcing Iran's willingness to resume direct flights," Nourollah Rezai-Niaraki, head of Iran's Civil Aviation Organisation, told state television.

He said the decision to make the request was taken by hardline Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad due to demand from the large Iranian community living in the United States.

"They have repeatedly complained about wasting time and losing their baggage on connecting flights," the official said.

Iranian airliners have been barred from the United States since the U.S. government broke ties with Tehran after the 1979 Islamic revolution.

An Iranian civil aviation spokesman said Ahmadinejad's decision did not signal any move to try to improve relations between the two old foes.

"I hope American officials do not adopt a political stance in making a decision on this request," said spokesman Reza Jafarzadeh.

The United States and the EU accuse Iran of trying to make nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear programme. Tehran says it needs nuclear technology to satisfy booming domestic electricity demand.

Iran is subject to U.S. economic sanctions imposed in 1996, under the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act. Due to the sanctions, Iran has struggled to maintain its ageing fleet of aircraft, mostly U.S.-built Boeing planes bought before the 1979 revolution.

You have to be impressed by Iran's moxy these days.  They're sitting on more oil than they know what to do with, and they know it, and I think they are going to get serious about using it as a lever to influence world politics and buy technology from US enemies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
What a clever way to deliver a nuke......... "Will that be carrry on or checked, sir?"

Jim
tba
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"I hope American officials do not adopt a political stance in making a decision on this request," said spokesman Reza Jafarzadeh.

What?  Just because the wacko president of Iran has called for the destruction of Israel and said he wants to see a world without America?

We wouldn't be so petty as to hold that against them, would we?

I mean, other than being a bunch of terrorist-supporting, Islamofascist moonbats working feverishly toward building nuclear warheads, they're pretty reasonable, right?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow..simply wow. I can see it now "No no , really, we jus want to come and visit....what's in the bag you ask...uhm....jus some trinkette from my country...nothing to see....move along"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I'd bet you could fit a really crude nuke into a cargo DC-10.

Sure, why not let 'em fly right over non-stop?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
"Will the flight be smoking or non-smoking?"

"That depends on how accurate the anti-aircraft fire is."
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Absolutly amazing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Are they out of their fracking minds ????!?!?!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He said the decision to make the request was taken by hardline Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad due to demand from the large Iranian community living in the United States.

Boy!  Do I have a great idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Might want to change your thread title abit.  Otherwise this topic will get duped like mad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I say let them.

Then when the first flight comes demand it be diverted b/c of suspected terrorists.  If it isn't shoot it down.  Repeat as necessary everytime.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy!  Do I have a great idea.

Look boss!  De-Plane De-Plane.

Var Plane = Port

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#12]

"They have repeatedly complained about wasting time and losing their baggage on connecting flights," the official said.

I say let them start flying again...   on the condition that each flight must fly past the U.S.S Vincenz !
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I say let them start flying again...   on the condition that each flight must fly past the U.S.S Vincenz !

That is EVIL........me likes!

Yes this is great Idea....I could give two shits if they lose their baggage on connecting flights.....go piss up a rope.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, fair is fair.

There are likely to be direct flights from the US to Iran soon, probably originating from Elsworth, Dyess, and Mountain Home.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Better yet, let's make it so you don't have to fly from Tehran to the US. In fact, you won't have to travel at all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#18]
If they were smart enough to import Mexicans, then claim THEY were the reason for direct flights to the U.S., we'd be screwed.

Bush would sign of on it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Their bags should be easy to spot, they're the dusty trash bags that smell like goat piss.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 You have to be impressed by Iran's moxy these days.  They're sitting on more oil than they know what to do with, and they know it, and I think they are going to get serious about using it as a lever to influence world politics and buy technology from US enemies.

You think they're going to get serious?  You haven't been researching their arms purchases since the early nineties, then.  This has been obvious for over a decade.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Right after they allow a few direct flights from our B-2's and AC-130's first .
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well, fair is fair.

There are likely to be direct flights from the US to Iran soon, probably originating from Elsworth, Dyess, and Mountain Home.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think they're going to get serious?  You haven't been researching their arms purchases since the early nineties, then.  This has been obvious for over a decade.

That is called understatement.  The Iranians are going to make the last few years start looking like high school politics.  They have been working under the radar, now they are going to bring their threats and challenges to test our will and strength out in the open.

ETA  :  Iran's increasing instability is the root of their increasing threat.  Shiite's believe that they must hasten the return of the prophet, and the prophet can't return until the world is in ruin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, fair is fair.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If they were smart enough to import Mexicans, then claim THEY were the reason for direct flights to the U.S., we'd be screwed.

Bush would sign of on it in a heartbeat.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys are not being very "diplomatic".
The proper thing to do is regretfully decline, but offer the option to provide express military flights into their country.
~
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't they understand that we don't want them here?

As a matter of fact, let's make it one way flights from here and send the large Iranian community living in the United States back.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#29]
If another leftard dikwad like Jimmy Carter get's elected, he'll let them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Hmm,Iran took Americans Hostage back in 197? we sent in a failed mission and the natives showed there respect,the US Allied all that time with Iraq to send sentiment to Iran,why are we coming full circle with this Sh*t and a Nuclear threat,,,F*cking Take'em! as for Pakistan,we know who give Safe Haven to Terrorist and I believe the correct actions will be taken,,,,,

A side note: why do folks Bitch about the 'others' lives lost when,They have Killed us,They show the Intent to Kill,They are Martyrs intent for Allahs only "Realese" all in the name of God.

Something Wrong with Me or just crazy shit?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted: Iran has asked the United States to allow direct flights between the two countries after a break of more than two decades, a senior civil aviation official said on Thursday.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well, fair is fair.

You forgot Whiteman
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I say a big hell yes, as long as I can be the guy fueling the planes before they depart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top