Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 4:26:29 PM EDT
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11016906/

N.J. boy, 17, wins fight to wear skirt in school

High school student was protesting his school’s no-shorts policy

Updated: 4:35 a.m. ET Jan. 25, 2006
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, N.J. - A male high school student can wear a skirt to school after the American Civil Liberties Union reached an agreement with school officials.

The ACLU announced the deal Tuesday. It will allow a Hasbrouck Heights School senior to wear a skirt to protest the school’s no-shorts policy.

The district’s dress code bans shorts between Oct. 1 and April 15, but allows skirts, a policy 17-year-old Michael Coviello believes is discriminatory.

“I’m happy to be able to wear skirts again to bring attention to the fact that the ban on shorts doesn’t make sense,” Coviello said in a statement.

The Hasbrouck Heights superintendent, Joseph C. Luongo, did not return telephone messages left Tuesday seeking comment.

Coviello first wore a costume-style dress but high school officials told him to go home and change. The district’s superintendent then advised the Coviello to purchase everyday dresses and skirts at a retail store, which Coviello did, the ACLU said.

But after a few days, he was sent home with a note from his principal saying if he wore a dress, kilt or skirt, he could no longer attend school.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember when the three "Rs" used to be the primary concern in school?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
As sick as it is, it's not "that bad".

And I guess the fact that it isn't "that bad" is pretty sad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a blurb on the news about it earlier, it looked like a kilt to me.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Every 17-year-old knows EVERYTHING.

He's the one who has to live with it the rest of his life.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry- if the women want equal rights- then the guys should be able to wear shorets to school.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The only answer is school dress codes / uniforms. Not gonna happen in most public schools.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sorry- if the women want equal rights- then the guys should be able to wear shorets to school.

+1, i hated not being able to wear shorts to school, but the girls could wear skirts that you could pretty much see everything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
we had a group of football players do that back when I was in high school, so this is nothing new...  they made their point, and the administration had to reconsider their bs rule about shorts.

didn't make the news because it wasn't a big deal.

ETA +1 to SC-Texas - if I expect you to treat me as an equal, I don't expect exceptions to the rules.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
A kilt is acceptable mens wear.
If a woman can wear a skirt to school, then there should be nothing wrong with a guy in a kilt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A kilt is acceptable mens wear.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]

"American Criminal Liberties Union"

Haw haw - that's comedic genius right there!!  

What's the problem here?  They are helping a smart kid fight a schools bullshit rules, that are completely arbitrary.  It's not like the kid is some emo cross-dresser that demands special treatment or anything.  Sounds like a stunt an arfcommer might pull.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top