Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 3:21:21 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to buy an extension ladder for my house (a two story).  What's the best overall length to get that is the most handy, not too tall to transport, not too short to use on most jobs?

Any recommendations on the best place to buy one, and the best model?

Thanks!

Michael
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
th 24' are the easiest to move, obviously cause they are the smallest.  Ideally, you want at least 3 feet above the roof if you plan on climbing up there
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
   I work from ladders frequently, and carry  6, 8, 12' ladders. I also have a 24' extension ladder, that collapses down to a little over 12'. It is fiberglass with a weight load of 300lbs. I like fiberglass over aluminum. I also have a 16' articulating ladder and a 20' ladder like the "little giant" ladder seen in infomercials. A-frame ladders are so much safer than extension ladders, but you just can't get up high enough with them. Most of the big box stores carry Werner ladders and you can go to ladder web sites. You can buy stabalizers that attach to the top of your ladder for next to nothing....they can provide you with a lot of confidence. Don't cheap out when buying. A good ladder will last you a life time. Above all, just be careful.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
ttt for the day crew
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind that your working length will be far less than what the extended ladder is advertised as you generally need 5 rungs above your roof line when heeled at the proper angle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
24' type III fiberglass extension ladder. Can be purchased brand new for approx $239

Buy a lower grade ladder or an aluminum one and extend it to approx 80% ( 16-20' ) and then shag your 200lb + ass up it.........

I rest my case
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top