Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:56:51 AM EDT
The steel toe/shank Redwing boots that I've had for about a year and a half are starting to fall apart.

I need a saftey boot, 13 EEE in size that will put up with all the abuse that can be found in and around a Motorcycle shop (I'm currently going to school to become a HD tech)

Any suggestions for either a zipper/lace or engineer boot that will last for more than a year? I like Chippewa but they don't seem to come in my size.

TIA

Rob
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:59:35 AM EDT
HIVEMIND!!!!

AIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE­EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!­!!

*runs off and hides*

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:01:38 AM EDT
Sidi or Alpinestars.

Oh, don't know what you Harley riders wear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:04:20 AM EDT
Chippewa
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:06:38 AM EDT
You better run and hide Loki..... all that screaming just woke up the wife.... you now have a 6 ft blond valkyrie after yo azz
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:07:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 1:08:00 AM EDT by Mordwyn]

Originally Posted By STG77:
Chippewa

Dork
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:14:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mordwyn:

Chippewa

Dork

Here's my Chippewas, they are about 6 years old. Still holding up just fine. The sole is amazingly durable - much more so than any other boots I've ever worn. I can still read the "Chippewa" writing on the bottom.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:21:36 AM EDT
I have a pair of Chippewa motorcycle boots and I hate them. I broke them in riding my bike.

I wore them to Daytona and my feet felt like they were going to fall off. I stopped wearing them.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:33:11 AM EDT

Chippewa

Dork

Here's my Chippewas, they are about 6 years old. Still holding up just fine. The sole is amazingly durable - much more so than any other boots I've ever worn. I can still read the "Chippewa" writing on the bottom.

I'd love to get a pair of Chippewas but they don't come wide eneough....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:37:38 AM EDT

How about Wesco's? They're really expensive, but they might make a pair that would fit you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:48:06 AM EDT

How about Wesco's? They're really expensive, but they might make a pair that would fit you.

WOW expensive is right, and the web page only shows up to E in their stock boots. I didn't even look at custom, no way in hell could I afford that...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:58:42 AM EDT

WOW expensive is right, and the web page only shows up to E in their stock boots. I didn't even look at custom, no way in hell could I afford that...

Well I'm all out of suggestions then... Best of luck with your search.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:51:54 AM EDT
I spent a lot of time looking for a quality engineer-type boot a while back. Problem was that most of the offerings out there were usually pretty cheap (quality-wise) and seemingly designed more for fashion rather than riding.

The one engineer boot that came back as highly recommended was the Frey Daytona Urban. They are made in Germany and are not cheap.

You can see that the Urban is designed for cycling safety and not just looks. It features plastic inserts in the shin and ankle area to protect against injury. It also has an additional strap around the upper calf that helps in retaining the boot in the event of a crash and aids in removal of the boot. Very few "conventional" engineer-type boots have the latter feature, opting to take the cheaper route and leaving off the additional strap, which can result in a serious issue if your boot comes off your leg when you wreck.

Note that sizing is European. I wear a size 9 US shoe and my Urbans are Euro size 40. Check if they have EE sizes.

Yes they are expensive ... current list price is $429 but I bought mine years ago for $200-odd from Helimot (the only US-authorized importer/distributor of Frey Daytona products).
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:14:15 AM EDT
I was really happy with Sidi when I rode more than I do today. They were a little "squeaky." I felt safe in them....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:24:29 AM EDT
Alpinestars or Dainese.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:43:03 AM EDT
I wear a pair of GI desert boots. Yeah, I know that's not exactly proper, but it works great. The vulcanized rubber soles grip like crazy and the toe area is so narrow I can actually get it between the footpeg and the shifter. I have my shifter at a really strange angle that prevents most boots from fitting, I don't know why, I just like it there. Took a fall in them last season and they came through it great. Scraped the hell out of the left boot, but it survived and I'm still wearing them as a reminder not to do that again. MJD
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:49:44 AM EDT
Your a HD tech? Shouldn't you be wearing HD boots?

They sell some great ones, made in China, here in my town.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 7:44:52 AM EDT by Mordwyn]

Originally Posted By postpostban:
...Shouldn't you be wearing HD boots?

I'm not a HD tech yet, so by law I'm not allowed to wear their boots, also my HD instructors would never let me live it down. I also feel that the quality of any of the HD boots I've seen is no better than the Redwings that only lasted a year or so. I need a good safety boot that will last longer than that

made in China,...

now you're just being retorical...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:15 AM EDT
West Coast Shoe

Cry once

Customs ain't cheap, but putting on armor like this and having it be extremely comfortable right off the bat is quite an experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:58:14 AM EDT

The steel toe/shank Redwing boots that I've had for about a year and a half are starting to fall apart.

Rob

I have owned many a pair of red Wing boots and as spendy as they are if any of them "started to fall apart" after a year of use ..... they would be going back to the RW store for exchange or credit towards another purchase.

My current pair of riding boots for my FXSTD Harley is a pair of Redwings ( 5 yrs old & still look great ). No laces / slip ons - approx 8" high. Comfy , tough and look great ..... perfect boots IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:01:49 AM EDT
Might get some ideas here www.bootbay.com/
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 11:19:41 AM EDT by REDHORSE]
All depends on what your riding and how you ride. I have different boots for different motorcycle riding.

Dirt bike: Alpinestars Tech 8
Sportsbike: Alpinstars, Sidi (many models to choose from)
Cruiser: Oxtar "Matrix" <-- these boots are great in foul weather and are great for walking in too. When wearing jeans.. they don't scream "Power Ranger" and I sometimes wear them even when I'm not riding any of my motorcycles. I have approx 25K miles of riding on the set I'm currently wearing. Starting to look worn out, one of the zipper pull levers broke...but there is enough to grab to pull zipper shut.

I used to wear work boots and Sketchers...but now wear sport touring boots. Kinda like sportbiker boots that don't look like "power Ranger" boots with all the plastic crap. But, now I wear motocycle boots for the protection and support they provide.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:44:06 AM EDT
Just a few of the links (that had decent reviews) I found on a Cruiser forum...

www.stompersboots.com/

www.blacktalonboots.com/

www.cruiserworks.com/

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:36 PM EDT
I worked at a Kaw, Suzuki, Maico, Can Am and Hercules shop from 73 to 83 and I wore combat boots. Full leather in the winter and the Korean knock-off jungle boots in the summer. This was with a lot of dirt bike test riding and also most of the bikes were kickstart only. The full leather would last about 6 months and the jungle boots about 3.

Mechanicing is a rough environment for boots and 6mos to a yr is probably about it.

rj
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:56:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By REDHORSE:
Just a few of the links (that had decent reviews) I found on a Cruiser forum...

www.stompersboots.com/

www.blacktalonboots.com/

www.cruiserworks.com/

I bought my Chippewas from Stompers years ago, they were good to deal with. Nice to see they're still around.
Top Top