Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
I have a stray cat, outside my house, its all screwed up mouth hanging open drool pouring out, one eye is all torqued up.  Anyways its screaming its damn head off  sounds like it is inside even though the windows are closed.  I can not shoot it because of where I live.  We already called the cops and told them it looked like it had rabbies, they directed us to animal control which is closed.  Next Option?  Oh yeah and this is cat night for me one of the wifes cats puked in my shoe right before this one showed up outside.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
.22 colibri
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Baseball bat.  Swing for the cheap seats.  If it gets over that, it'll be a hell of a mouser.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I had heard that Colibris were 22s with no pwder just the primer, but I just tried to make one and it wasnt enough power to do anything but barely push the bullet out of the case
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife called the SD they told her to call animal control, animal control said they would rent us a trap and then accept the animal at an additional fee.  My wife informed them that the cat appeared to have rabies, the lady on the other end said she highly doubted it did.  My wife informed her it was not our cat and that it appeared to have rabies, we were not going to take any chances and that we would shoot it.  the woman informed my wife that it was not legal to shoot a LIVE animal.  My wife chuckled and asked if it was ok to shoot a dead one, the lady said she did not know and hung up.
The next call was to the CDC.  Wife asked similiar question and upon giving the description of the animal the person on the end said that it was most likely to have rabies and that we should contact animal control or the local police.  My wife informed  the person that we had already called both and had  been given the run around and that animal control basically wanted to charge us 85 dollars to remove the cat.  The person on the other line advised her to take down his number and name, then to call Animal Control again and ask to speak to a supervisor and give them his number if they had any questions about the possibility of the cat being infected with rabies.  

Wife calls Animal Control again and gets put on hold for quite awhile after asking to speak to a supervisor who finally picked up the phone.  My wife told the super that she believed a stray cat hanging around our house had rabies.  The supervisors immediate response was that is highly unlikely.  My wife asked why and was basically told that it JUST IS.  So she relayed the info from the CDC person to the supervisor, who promptly said ok we will go set a trap.

When I got home there  was a live trap setting in my back yard and a note on the door to call if an animal is spotted in the trap.  By the number of stray cats around here I am thinking they will get no less than 5 cats before they give up on getting the one that is the problem, by that time I figure the thing will have died from whatever is ailing it.

what a bunch of BS to go through to get rid of a cat that might have rabies.  I would think they would take something like this a little more seriously.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]

.22LR, it's not unlawful if you are protecting yourself from a potentional health hazard
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#7]
go buy a pellet gun

or just shoot the damn thing and tell the cops your car backfired
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
My understanding is that "they" need an intact brain to test for rabies, so don't use a headshot to kill it.  Also, dump some chlorine bleach around wherever it's been drooling or bleeding.

Not sure how long rabies virii can last in the environment.  And if the cat has been around for a few days, it might have spread the disease to other feral cats.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the woman informed my wife that it was not legal to shoot a LIVE animal.  My wife chuckled and asked if it was ok to shoot a dead one, the lady said she did not know and hung up.

Damn that was funny!
Yup she is a keeper for sure!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Well they caught the first one last night, not the problem cat, but a stray I have never seen.  I am surprised it tooks 2 days.  They were notified first thing this morning, but they still have not come to get the cat out.  I am starting to think these peoplpe are running a sub par show.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]
sling shot - a must have around the house in my opinion

will evaporate all remaining lives said mouser has which doesn't sound like many.

ammo options:

Marble (standard)
Ball Bearing (armor piercing)
candy fire ball (tracer round)
marshmellow (less than lethal)

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Cat got bit by  Hummingbird

lebrew
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]

I shoot at least one ferril cat per quarter. Know one will know unless you tell them or they see you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Cats are very attracted to anti-freeze.  They cannot resist it.  Plus, it is toxic.  Just don't let any other cats near it, or they are all dead.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
THE ZOMBIE ATTACK IS BEGINNING!!!!!!!! FIRST CATS, THEN DOGS AND THEN HUMANS!!!!!!!!!!! GOTTA GO GET MORE AMMO AND CRAWL UP ON MY ROOF
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you in city limits?  If so, .22LR to the head.

Otherwise, 12 guage it.

When I was 12 or so I was at the preachers house and his wife had a real sick cat.  He wasn't around and she wanted to put it out of its misery so she told me to do it.  She wouldn't let me use a gun so I had to use an axe.  It was dull and I was only 12 years old so... needless to say it wasn't pretty.

Do the humane thing and shoot it in the head.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
sling shot - a must have around the house in my opinion

will evaporate all remaining lives said mouser has which doesn't sound like many.

ammo options:

Marble (standard)
Ball Bearing (armor piercing)
candy fire ball (tracer round)
marshmellow (less than lethal)

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]
the glycol bonds to the hemoglobin more readily than the O2, so they sufficate while breathing. the only way to save an animal from this after they have drank it it alcohol. it bonds before the glycol, and lets O2 come with it.

or so i am told............
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cats are very attracted to anti-freeze.  They cannot resist it.  Plus, it is toxic.  Just don't let any other cats near it, or they are all dead.

and so are dogs, squirles, birds and most other animlas. It's a VERY bad slow painful death for them. VERY stupid idea.

Isnt Antifreeze now "pet safe"  I thought they changed the stuff about 5 years ago or more.

They came to take the detainee,  the Animal Control officer got tagged at least 3 times by the cat in the trap.  He got it once on the ass while bent down fiddling with the holding cage and got to close to the trap.  That was funny.  

They will rebait and try round two on monday I guess they dont have anybody working the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Not that I like killing animals because they are a nuisance
but If I had to deal with your problem I would trap it in a box .
then use my vehicles exhaust to dispatch it .

The newer the vehicle the better , because the exhaust will be
mostly CO2 which is said to be painless . It will also leave the
brain intact for rabbies testing .
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I cant kill the cat with out being seen,  I have alot of neighbors no fence and everything is well lit.  I will not do anything to risk rubbing the local PD/SD the wrong way.  All I need is some PETA person seeing me dispatch the cat and me showing up on the local news.   "Another disturbing tale of animal brutality tonight in South West Florida"  Trust me if this cat was around me in any other location than here.  It would have already been SSS'ed.  I have no qualms about killing animals especially ones that annoy me or pose a threat.  I do not truly believe this cat has rabies I think it has something stuck in the roof of its mouth.  

Our version of SSS'ed is called balogna sandwiching, you dig a hole throw a bologna sandwhich in it, wait for the unwanted animal to jump in the hole after it and BLAM!   22 bullets only cost 2.1 cents.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
There was a ver large racoon stealing the bait out of the trap tonight , to big to fit in the trap or to smart to go in.  tried to stick him with the bow but he sensed my evil intentions and hid before I came outside.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#27]
This is why everyone should own a .22 can.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
just look on the bright side, now you can justify buying a pellet gun.  Just pop that fucker in the head at 20 yards, no more worying about diaseased kitty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top