Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 6:35:31 PM EDT
Alright here we go.
27 years old. Masters degree in MIS
2 years with large company doing IT/consulting work then left to join my bro in the growing family business. That only lasted a year and half before I had to leave because of his refusal to get pysch help (seriously). Scared to return to corporate life b/c I hate the boredom of sitting in an office all day and your job stability is not necessarily dependent on your performance. Looked at Police officer but it seems so many people are leaving due to politics. Interviewed for pharm sales but so many of the companies are really shitty to interview with. IE I went through 4 interviews only to be told they have no open positions but may in 4 months. Looked at real estate as it would be comparable to self employed.but my god there are tons of agents here. Could raise capital up to 300k to start a biz but in what?

Sorry if this seems like a ramble but I am running out of ideas and need to get a job.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You were willing to do pharmaceutical sales....have you thought about financial services like being a financial planner or being a NY Life agent?  Seems like pretty nice work after 2-3 years, but I dont have the schmoozing, outgoing personality needed for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
FBI
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
CIA
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask yourself what jobs are in every community -
police, firemen, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, heating and airconditioning installers/maintainers, welders, morticians, doctors, and a few others.

Even in relatively depressed regions, skilled trades can make a living.  This is probably going to be more and more important as the last of the manufacturing jobs leave.  Choose a job that gives you the most flexibility to move across country to the jobs when necessary.

My wife is a very experienced programmer analyst with SAP and gobs of MIS experience, and she is a top performer.  Her jobs pretty much run a year or so, at best, at a time now.

The .gov has pretty excellent retirement and ongoing training if you want to be a bureaucrat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Interested in the medical field?

You could either try something with direct patient contact, or you could wrangle your Masters in MIS to do something related to that directly in the medical field.

The medical field is becoming more and more 'wired' as the days go by.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Alright here we go.
27 years old. Masters degree in MIS
2 years with large company doing IT/consulting work then left to join my bro in the growing family business. That only lasted a year and half before I had to leave because of his refusal to get pysch help (seriously). Scared to return to corporate life b/c I hate the boredom of sitting in an office all day and your job stability is not necessarily dependent on your performance. Looked at Police officer but it seems so many people are leaving due to politics. Interviewed for pharm sales but so many of the companies are really shitty to interview with. IE I went through 4 interviews only to be told they have no open positions but may in 4 months. Looked at real estate as it would be comparable to self employed.but my god there are tons of agents here. Could raise capital up to 300k to start a biz but in what?

Sorry if this seems like a ramble but I am running out of ideas and need to get a job.

hmmmmmm.............Male prostitute? Just think, fun, exciting, good pay, get to pick your "clients."

On a serious note:
Real estate is a very rewarding field, IF you can break into it.  You have to find an established realtor to "Take you in" and introduce you to the right people.  Also, stay on the commercial side, it is much more rewarding financially and you have to deal with less idiots.  The other upside to real estate is that it will always be needed.  The downside is that it's corruptness is probably only second to politics.

Just my .02  If you would like me to expand, let me know.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FBI

Thought about it but I don't like guns

Actually as I understand it you have no choice in where you are stationed. I want to stay in Tampa.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Interested in the medical field?

You could either try something with direct patient contact, or you could wrangle your Masters in MIS to do something related to that directly in the medical field.

The medical field is becoming more and more 'wired' as the days go by.

Been definately trying that, unfortunately I do not know anyone that is in the field so i am applying online to the big databse in the sky.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ask yourself what jobs are in every community -
police, firemen, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, heating and airconditioning installers/maintainers, welders, morticians, doctors, and a few others.

Even in relatively depressed regions, skilled trades can make a living.  This is probably going to be more and more important as the last of the manufacturing jobs leave.  Choose a job that gives you the most flexibility to move across country to the jobs when necessary.

My wife is a very experienced programmer analyst with SAP and gobs of MIS experience, and she is a top performer.  Her jobs pretty much run a year or so, at best, at a time now.

The .gov has pretty excellent retirement and ongoing training if you want to be a bureaucrat.

Sadly regular old IT is long gone with outsourcing the people on the street have 10x my experience.

Tried  to get a job with Tampa or Hillsborough county but I think they advertise the positions because they are required to but fill them with people they already know. I have had no responses to jobs I am qualified for.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
With your degree you might want to look at IT project management.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If I had the money, I'd buy a CNC machine and start making gun parts and conversions ala Rhineland Arms.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You were willing to do pharmaceutical sales....have you thought about financial services like being a financial planner or being a NY Life agent?  Seems like pretty nice work after 2-3 years, but I dont have the schmoozing, outgoing personality needed for it.

Whoa!I did that for 14 mos NY Life.  Very challenging job.  If you can do it for over a year, you WILL be an excellent salesman in your future endeavors.  I got out and took my real estate exam, passed but leaning toward the lending side.  Signed up with a mortgage broker last week.  Still looking for a real estate broker that will also let me do loans as well.  I've been in the same boat for the past month.  Right now, as I'm waiting for my mortgage license, I'm temping as a show coordinator to have some income coming in.  I can't see myself doing the 8-5 thing unless I REALLY have to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alright here we go. ...

hmmmmmm.............Male prostitute? Just think, fun, exciting, good pay, get to pick your "clients."

Brian

Well now that you mention it I have been working out a lot now that I have been out of work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
ABC
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Septic tank sucker, there are lots of septic tanks out there
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If I had the money, I'd buy a CNC machine and start making gun parts and conversions ala Rhineland Arms.

If I had access to that type of equipment I would get into way to much trouble...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FBI

Actually as I understand it you have no choice in where you are stationed. I want to stay in Tampa.

If you are serious about getting a good job that you would enjoy, you need to search the whole country.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FBI

If you are serious about getting a good job that you would enjoy, you need to search the whole country.

Was going to move to Nevada but then they shot down the dude ranch Idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top