Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Also, it strikes me as strange that we could go on a spending and design frenzy in a world with virtually no computer technology and develop a craft to put people on the moon...and bring them back alive, yet with all the technological advances since then, putting people any further away than 1/22,000th of the distance is "too expensive and dangerous.".

Politicians directed engineers to develop a craft to take men to the moon and back. They developed the Apollo. In the second case, politicians directed the NASA engineers to build the Space Shuttle, not to develop a craft to take men to and from earth orbit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My reponse to this and similar conspiracy theories is simple:

Subscribing to the notion that this is one HUGE coverup, would acknowledge a well organized and competent government - the same government that can't keep a blowjob quiet.

Ouch!  That'll leave a mark.  

Too many people involved to keep it a secret.  Yet some fringe flat-earth types have uncovered the grand conspiracy.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I researched a site that examined all the theories about a fake lunar landing and the one theory they agreed with was that many of the lunar photos were indeed faked.

Other than that, they said the lunar landing was genuine.

dport's undeniable truth of life #2:
Conspiracy theories -on the scale of the 9/11, moon landing, JFK, etc, conspiracies- are believed by and perpetuated by people who have feelings of intellectual inadequacy and feel the need to somehow assert their intellectual superiority.

Not saying our buddy W-G falls into that category, because he says he's up in the air, just want you to know what type of company you'll be keeping if you do fall into the trap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dport's undeniable truth of life #2:
Conspiracy theories -on the scale of the 9/11, moon landing, JFK, etc, conspiracies- are believed by and perpetuated by people who have feelings of intellectual inadequacy and feel the need to somehow assert their intellectual superiority.

Not saying our buddy W-G falls into that category, because he says he's up in the air, just want you to know what type of company you'll be keeping if you do fall into the trap.

That much is true: I don't care either way, really. I tend to play devil's advocate in these matters, that's all.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As for trusting him implicitly, I'd rethink that as well.

Funny, coming from a guy who thinks he's a pirate.

I take it you're not into Jimmy Buffet? Otherwise, you'd get the reference.

P.S. I have boarded and confiscated vessels, crews and treasures before. The only difference is I didn't do it under a Jolly Roger; I did it under the National Ensign.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Beat him senseless, its the only way to be sure.

He believes we didn't land on the moon. A beating at this point would be redundant.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I take it you're not into Jimmy Buffet? Otherwise, you'd get the reference.

P.S. I have boarded and confiscated vessels, crews and treasures before. The only difference is I didn't do it under a Jolly Roger; I did it under the National Ensign.

Ohhhhh.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The shuttle is an orbital craft.

Different craft, different missions.

Also, it strikes me as strange that we could go on a spending and design frenzy in a world with virtually no computer technology and develop a craft to put people on the moon...and bring them back alive, yet with all the technological advances since then, putting people any further away than 1/22,000th of the distance is "too expensive and dangerous."

Ooooooohkayyyyyyy.

Ever think it's funny how we fought a war against two massive, industrialized empires at the same time, and occupied the better part of Europe, plus Japan and surrounding islands, all back in the 40s, yet now lots of people, even some on this board, claim we can't possibly afford to occupy two tiny little piss-ant countries?

The point is, Liberals and bureaucrats have a way of making simple things impossible.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I think your "friend" should see this site to relieve his warped mind of its uncontrollable internal turmoil of voices chattering loudly to the tune of O'Fortuna.  (see this link w/ sound)

Fox is full of $hit ! See here !
Moon Hoax Show on Fox B.S.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think your "friend" should see this site to relieve his warped mind of its uncontrollable internal turmoil of voices chattering loudly to the tune of O'Fortuna.  (see this link w/ sound)

Fox is full of $hit ! See here !
Moon Hoax Show on Fox B.S.

DPMSniped is a good friend of mine.    He's a co-worker, a shooting buddy, and a poker buddy.

I know him well.

I trust him implicitly.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry.

Your friend is nuts.

Watch him closely next time you go shooting...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
We haven't had a good "the moon landings are fake" thread in a while.

But then, we haven't had a moon landing in a while either, have we. Hmmm.....

That's because we're so busy exploring the earth's atmosphere at 120,000 feet with space shuttles developed ten years after we supposedly landed on the moon.

Which is 225,000 miles away.

Space shuttle orbits are typically up to 250 miles, or 1,320,000 feet, not 120,000 feet.  120,000 feet is only three times higher than cruising altitude for a 737.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also no stars in the video or photos. I'll see about getting the pix... Its Called Google

Ahh yes!  A classic arguement, made by ignorant know-it-alls!  "You can see stars at night.  Therefore, if you take a picture on the moon, of course you'd see stars!"

WRONG.

Try this:  Tonight, if it's clear, go outside with a camera and take a snapshot of the sky.  Check the photograph.  Do you see any stars in the picture?

No.

Now take into account the fact that the moon's surface is very bright and the shutter speed had to be set even lower than normal.

Basically, the cameras had to be set so that they did not overexpose the moon's surface.  When you set it that way, you underexpose the stars.  If you were to set the camera to see the stars (a shutter speed of perhaps a half a second), everything else would be pure white.

You might very well see stars if you photograph the sky.  But not if you photograph *something* bright in *front* of the sky.  

Take a picture of the moon, or of a street lamp.  Now look at the background--the exposure needed to correctly expose the foreground will result in a black, featureless sky.

The exposure needed to take pics on the moon's surface in bright daylight (notice the gold foil solar shields on the astronauts' helmets) would wash out anything in the background except for the Sun or the Earth.

I'm sure this is all covered very well at the Badastronomy site someone posted earlier.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My reponse to this and similar conspiracy theories is simple:

Subscribing to the notion that this is one HUGE coverup, would acknowledge a well organized and competent government - the same government that can't keep a blowjob quiet.

Damn, now that just says it all.

That applies to the JFK assasination, too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Your friend is a moron.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, it was a hoax. They had about 100,000 engineers and others working on the plot. They are all in on it.

Or, wait, was the explanation that they had 100,000 engineers and others working on it, and had them all completely fooled about what they were doing?

I forget which explanation I believe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I think keeping those thousands of people quiet about such a cover-up is a much more difficult feat than sending people to the moon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It was a conspiracy to make the Russians think we were more technologically advanced than they were. There were prop rocks found in the photos marked with letters "C".

Penn and Teller, on their show Bullshit, featured the guy who started this theory. They showed the "C" rock and the guy claimed that movie prop people mark their props that way.

Then they went and asked their prop people if they marked props that way. The prop people said that was a ridiculous statement. They just didn't do that.

Then they went to the original photograph and found that the "C" was simply a piece of hair that had gotten into the process when the photo was reprinted.

Now, if you think they can fool 100,000 or so people working on the project, or that it could be kept a secret with 100,000 people in on it, then I have bridge you will definitely want to buy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#19]
My liberal sister says the same thing, right before she goes on her "Canada is better" rant....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't go to the moon, huh.......

Is this the same friend that is still amazed how they found midgets small enough to fit in that TV box??
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My liberal sister says the same thing, right before she goes on her "Canada is better" rant....

Ah, but the libs are the "enlightened" and "more educated" ones.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
You should smack your friend.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]
can a Saturn V rocket lift off of a conveyor belt?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#24]
tell you buddy to go to an observatory and look through the telescope and find the american flag on the moon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#25]
There's an older gentleman that works with me that used to work at NASA back in those days.  He turns a slight shade of red then laughs it off when I tell him I'm sure he faked the moon landing.

He's knows I'm joking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
We haven't had a good "the moon landings are fake" thread in a while.

But then, we haven't had a moon landing in a while either, have we. Hmmm.....

That's because we're so busy exploring the earth's atmosphere at 120,000 feet with space shuttles developed ten years after we supposedly landed on the moon.

Which is 225,000 miles away.

Absolutely the case.  The space shuttle is an absolutely fucking stupid spacecraft.  Imagine the tradeoffs required just so we can have wings for a glider landing.  And don't even try to tell me it's safer that way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#27]
According to the Apollo moonwalker I talked too......

We didn't, but he did

SRM
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, it strikes me as strange that we could go on a spending and design frenzy in a world with virtually no computer technology and develop a craft to put people on the moon...and bring them back alive, yet with all the technological advances since then, putting people any further away than 1/22,000th of the distance is "too expensive and dangerous."

Ooooooohkayyyyyyy.

Ooooooohkayyyyyyy.

Whole lot of bad knowledge of US space exploration history going on.

11 Apollo missions went in to space… result 3 bodies killed on the GROUND before they launched the first mission and a near catastrophe on Apollo 13. Apollo was very dangerous.

It is far far simpler to go into space using a simple disposable rocket system than a reusable aircraft… the comparison is laughable. The maneuvers involving the Lunar Lander were just simple vector physics in a vacuum it did not take any great processing power… and was not the first landing done under manual control. Reentry involves doing calculations of only speed and angle again it did not take any great processing power.

The Space shuttle has failed not due to failures of technology but failures of design and bad decisions. First one lost because it was launched in cold conditions which caused a predicted O-ring failure. The second lost because it was launched with ice on the tanks which caused damage that caused break up on reentry. BOTH LOST BECAUSE OF BAD DECISIONS

The first space shuttle lost was lost 20 years ago… You don’t seem to understand the Space shuttle is NOT advanced technology it is a 1970s design which is more contemporary to the Apollo program than modern.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Wonderful.  Almost 15% think it was faked.  Sure, some people probably voted that way for amusement  That still leaves a scary number.

Just think when the next weapons ban hits the floor of the House and Pelosi or her equal holds up print outs of Arfcom GD or this thread and looks into the camera and exclaims, "My God, these fools have guns!"

Think it was Einstein that said "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Only people who don't know understand basic physics and science think we didn't land on the moon
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#31]
They're called Conspiracy Theorists.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I never got to go that year...I was sick..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I do believe that we went to the moon, I just question how we were able to do so with computers that have less processing power than a calculator watch.

Very smart men, with great big brass ones!
I remember someone once saying that they thought it was easier to send them to the moon than fake it.
I am lucky to have been born when I was. I have watched every space shot since Mercury. I watched the first moon landing live, and held my breath until Apollo 13 came home. I cried for the families of White, Grissom and Chaffee.
As for the conspiracy theorists I think it is easier to be stupid than learn something.

The Shuttle astronauts are brave, no doubt, but the first to go had no real idea what would happen. Noone had done it before and they did it anyway.

Like I said, big brass ones!
Jim
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#36]
it was done in a massive Simulation called the matrix
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do believe that we went to the moon, I just question how we were able to do so with computers that have less processing power than a calculator watch.

Well,.. I've got my doubts about the trip for other reasons but the slide rules of that era DID bring us the SR71....

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Why don't you have him ask Buzz Aldrin ?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#39]

How did those laser reflectors get there that we still fire a laser at? Why did the Soviets not jump on the propaganda opportunity?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Basically, if you weren't one of the astronauts or in on the program, you're taking it all on faith.

And Buzz was wrong, no matter how funny it was...  that's still assault.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#41]
My company had Buzz Aldrin as a guest speaker several years ago, if you had heard the talk he gave, it is clear he was there, he was still in anguish over having to watch from the capsule, instead of walk on the moon. He did not come out and say that , but you could tell it, great speaker, by the way.I got one of his paintings[poster]that he signed, i am keeping it in the tube for my daughter. He is a very good artist, on his subject.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#42]
He's right, they even had a documentary about it.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#43]
You know I have a friend just like that.  We now call him LUSER now.  Yes we went.  Jeff
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Find a new friend.
Anyone who doubts we went to the moon is one of three things:  1)stupid as shit, 2)crazy as a loon or 3)too intellectually lazy or gullible to find out the facts for themselves.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I entertain the possibility that it was faked.  That was defiantly a shady era.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Basically, if you weren't one of the astronauts or in on the program, you're taking it all on faith.

So they managed to completely fool 100,000 or so engineers and other people working on the project. All those people building, testing, and tracking the supposed spacecraft were complete idiots who couldn't tell what they were building or whether it worked.

Or is the story that there are 100,000 or so people keeping this secret from you?

Which is it?

Do you have any clue how dumb your statement is?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I entertain the possibility that it was faked.  That was defiantly a shady era.

So tell me, is the explanation that 100,000 or so people were in on the conspiracy and have been for the last forty years or so?

Or is the explanation that every aerospace engineer in the US is so stupid that they didn't know what they were working on and couldn't tell if it would work?

Which one do you think is correct?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I simply can't believe how ill-informed some of you people are!  

Amazing...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Wonderful.  Almost 15% think it was faked.  Sure, some people probably voted that way for amusement  That still leaves a scary number.

Just think when the next weapons ban hits the floor of the House and Pelosi or her equal holds up print outs of Arfcom GD or this thread and looks into the camera and exclaims, "My God, these fools have guns!"

Think it was Einstein that said "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

I thought it was something about the difference between madness and genius was measured by your level of success.

96Ag
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I entertain the possibility that it was faked.

No, it wasn't faked.  There is no possibility.  It would have required more time, money, anachronistic technology and expertise to fake it than to actually do it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top