Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2001 9:14:48 PM EDT
Due to the nature of my job I have to go to different locations in the Valley. I drive a pickup truck and have the tool bag in the back.
We have a site in the south-west where the COPS are very unfriendly. Have heard many stories from other guys about  being stoped for no reason and the truck searched or even the COPS would come inside the area and search the workers.
Today I had to go to this area and I was looking forward to a confruntation. Soon after I finished my work at the site I was in the truck with the engine running and writing my report. With the corner of my  right eye I saw the COP approaching my truck and he tapped the right fender with the night stick, then came arounf to my window.
After I gave him the "papers"  he asked me if I had a CCW or any weapons with me. (not against of asking but his tone was wrong). I looked in his eyes and said YES I DO. He almost turned white and told me to get out of the vehicle, turn around and place my hands on the hood. After he gave me a search and not finding the weapon he asked where is it and told him that it was in the cargo area of the truck.  I gave him the keys and after HE opened my cargo cover and looked inside he asked me again where was it. I told him in the tool bag and he looked again. This time annoyed he asked me again where is it and told him again it was in the tool bag. After searching again and not finding any weapon he brought the tool bag to me and asked me to show it to him. I have pulled out the hammer, box knife, screwdriver and the rope. He gave me the stupid look and asked what are those. I said weapons !  Have explained to him that  CCW stands for weapons and not firearms and those are weapons and can/have been used in crimes. The weapons were hidden therefore a violation of the CCW  and have asked him to arrest me. He was scratchig his head. Have asked him to call his superior, After waiting about an hour for his superior to arrive I have explained again the weapons violations.  Have told both of them that they have to arrest me on weapons violations if not I will write a letter to the City Council to report them. They were so dumbfonded that I had to give tham my address and told them to research the law and call me later.
It felt good to play with their minds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, do you have a lot of free time?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
and i thought all the cops in AZ were pro-gun and CCW -- silly me
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
When I started reading your post I was thinking what an idiot for letting the shit get that far; but as I finished I believe you're a genius keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You should have been arrested for BLATANT obstruction of justice and psychological assault upon a police officer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, obviously the people in that area are tired of the cops F-ing with them for no reason!!  So I applaud your actions since they are wasting time harrassing honest working people instead of spending their time going after real criminals.

And you are correct about those tools being dangerous.  I can't tell you how many times I have hit my thumb with a hammer or cut fingers with those damn box cutters!!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... With the corner of my  right eye I saw the COP approaching my truck and he tapped the right fender with the night stick, then came around to my window.
After I gave him the "papers"  he asked me if I had a CCW or any weapons with me. (not against of asking but his tone was wrong). I looked in his eyes and said YES I DO. He almost turned white and told me to get out of the vehicle, turn around and place my hands on the hood. After he gave me a search...
View Quote

This part always pisses me off.

You were treated like a criminal for being an honest person.

What the hell goes through their minds!?!?

You've got big iron ones.  I'll give ya that.  "That's a Stanley 3 pound framing hammer, it can pop your skull in little pieces with just one swing.  I don't have a shoulder holster, I just keep it in my toolbox.  Sometimes I wear it on my belt".

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a flame but... maybe you should read the post about hiring a hooker.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
ROFLMAO!!!!!That's some funny shit...ahem, oh waitaminute I'm a cop too!!! I SAID TURN AROUND BASTARD!!!! Ah, much better.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#11]
The only idiots were the cops for letting you take it that far. Call a supervisor for you? Are you kidding? I would have told YOU to call who ever you want and complain all you want and let you make an ass out of yourself, not the other way around. I would have laughed to myself as I drove away with you still there stamping your feet making ridiculous demands trying to prove some asinine point. You really think you got over on someone!?! Really!?! Man, that's the best you can do? Amateur.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Good work Dacon.  I thought I was the only person who did stuff like that.

As much of a joke as we're making of this incident, it might have been a good thing.  If the cops don't include hammers, tools, etc. in their mental list of things that can hurt them, then that might come back to haunt them.  So, they see a guy with a knife, they'll take appropriate action.  Since they didn't think of a screwdriver or a hammer as a weapon, they might not take the appropriate actions to keep themselves out of harm's way.  I once saw a local coroner report that showed the tools typically used in stabbings.  Small (less than 2" blade) bladed folding knives and screwdrivers were near the top of the list.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather be shot at with a 22 than have some guy swing a framing hammer at my head.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Do any other LEO/former LEOs ever "wait" to ID themselves when in another area and stopped by the locals?

Anyone ever had some fun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top