Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 9:57:19 AM EDT
We have a weapon that has been neglected in a safe and actually rusted enough to form small pitts in the upper.  I applied blue and rust remover but it only removed some rust and all the blue.  The owner does not want to take it to a gunsmith b/c he does not really care to keep/ speed money on the gun.  I am attempting to repair  the upper as a project.  

So how do I remove these pitts?  Does anyone have any suggestions?  

I was thinking of pulling out my dremel tool?  I am just trying to learn something here so any advice or recomendations are appreciated.  

If there is a better forum for this I apologize.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that is what I used, with the steel wool.  It did work well.  

The pitts....Exactly, the pitts are what I do not know what to do.  Should I attempt to "buff" or "sand" it out??
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, that is what I used, with the steel wool.  It did work well.  

The pitts....Exactly, the pitts are what I do not know what to do.  Should I attempt to "buff" or "sand" it out??

YOu have little options with pitting on a gun.
1. YOu can clean the pits up and remove ALL the rust and then reblue. This will leave you with the pits but blue and protected from further damage due to rust.
2. Clean the same way but refinish with somthing like Norells. This will often time fill the pits if they are small.

In an extreme case you can fill with a tig welder and then mill the area back down. This requires a very steady hand and control of your welder as well as a good mill. I have seen a p38 frame that was repaired this way and it looked beautiful.

My advice, number 1. Clean and reblue ot prevent further damage.
CH

ETA: Buffing out or sanding down is a bad idea. It WILL look arose then when you started.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the info.  I guess I will use some Norells and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is small amounts of rust, try some Flitz, that is stuff has a real fine abrasive, and some rust-proofiing built in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have removed all the rust from hte pits, you can fill with Durafill and then refinish with Duracoat or Norrels.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the great info, I cannot wait to get home and get back to work on it.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You could always sandblast and park it. No it's not blue but it will knock some of the edge off of your pits without removing to much metal. And a properly parked gun looks real nice.

Just my 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of gun are we talking about here anyway?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W Chiefs Special 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top