Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/23/2006 11:05:32 AM EDT

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060120/ap_on_fe_st/japan_hamster_and_snake_1;_ylt=AhnrqhaLR36g97SCuH0Foq3lWMcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

Hamster, Snake Best Friends at Tokyo Zoo

Thu Jan 19, 8:03 PM ET

TOKYO - Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a 3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a four-foot rat snake. Zookeepers at Tokyo's Mutsugoro Okoku zoo presented the hamster — whose name means "meal" in Japanese — to Aochan as a tasty morsel in October, after the snake refused to eat frozen mice.

But instead of indulging, Aochan decided to make friends with the furry rodent, according to keeper Kazuya Yamamoto. The pair have shared a cage since.

"I've never seen anything like it. Gohan sometimes even climbs onto Aochan to take a nap on his back," Yamamoto said.

Aochan, a 2-year-old male Japanese rat snake, eventually developed an appetite for frozen rodents but has so far shown no signs of gobbling up Gohan — despite her name.

"We named her Gohan as a joke," Yamamoto chuckled. "But I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much."

The Tokyo zoo also keeps a range of mostly livestock animals, and promotes "cross-breed interaction," according to Yamamoto.

But Gohan and Aochan's case was "was a complete accident," Yamamoto said.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:09:28 AM EDT
i wonder what will happen if they forget to feed the snake a few times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:11:30 AM EDT
Snakes don't make friends.

That hamster is like an MRE for hard times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 11:14:54 AM EDT by ASUsax]
I guess his mother never told him not to play with his food.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:14:43 AM EDT
A hamster and a rat snake, its only a matter of time, kinda like father joe and young boys
Top Top