BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
$39 bucks
The $1800 I spent on a fireplace insert is really paying off.  Half the time it is way to hot in our house.  Sometimes 83+ in the front room.
Insert + hedge = priceless.

Hedge?  As in bushes?  How does that help?

I have all electric.  1800 sq ft that are climate controlled.  My electric bill was about $135 last month.  We keep the thermostat at around 66 and the water tank at 145.  The month before it was about $85.

I've been looking into fireplace inserts.  I keep forgetting to measure my fireplace to see what size I need.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
$233 in Atlanta.
It looks like the Ga Gang is getting ass raped when temps have been in the 50's and 60's most of the time.

ARH

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
$100.

This is pure supply and demand.  The energy companies are not the culprits.  The economy is booking in the US and Asia.  Demand for NG is high and supply can barely keep up with demand.

God bless the oil and gas comanies and the people who own and run them!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
We are on the payment plan that gives you a set amount every month with a catch-up month every 6 months. Our monthly bill for gas and electric combined is $300.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
$93.00 1600 sq ft. house, insulation is fair. Temps have been very mild in South Alabama. We keep the thermostat from 58 to 65. Furnance and water heater are gas.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Phat - This is a new house.  I paid triple for some fancy foam insulation.  I use Rinnai on demand water heaters.  I have 3 furnaces but two of them rarely run and the one that heats the main part of the house is rarely set above 63.  I am hot natured.  For some reason - probably the chocolate FN city- Atlanta is really getting hosed this year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, supply and demand does'nt apply where I live !!! The gas company is wanting to increase the cost of gas to consumers in my area by 60% for................get this....................LOWER THAN ANTICIPATED GAS USAGE..................B.S. !! I'm guessing that the gas company has a futures type contract with their supplier, and it has bit them in the a$$, seeing how it's been unseasonably warm around here, and they still have to pay for their contact. Man, that fumes me. BTW, thermo is set on 58, and gas bill last month was $250.00 (should be around $175 for this time of year, even if its snowy, icy and cold, and the thermo is set on 68).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
$$334.36,  5700sq ft house,  wife and kids home 2 weeks for Christmas vaction so heat on the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
In Kansas we call hedge what most people saw osage orange.  You can see by the burn chart below that it burns really hot.

Wood Burning Stuff

I get my wood for free and it is the warmest warm you can get.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
around $300.

2600+ sq ft (new construction) in Wisconsin
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I pulled the wire to run my gas furnace off the thermostat about a month ago so that only the heat pump will run.  For the 2 weeks before I pulled the wire I had used $150 in gas for the two weeks after $0 in gas and the temperature was similar.  The thermostat was always kicking the gas furnace on any time the temp in the house even started to drop a partial degree.  By going to the heat pump only sure it might not be staying at the exact thermost setting but it's very close.  I'm only going to run into a problem if it drops below 20 degrees as the heat pump is set to turn off.  Any temp under 30 and my heat pump can't keep up and the house loses 1/2 a degree per hour...but when that happens I just turn on my electric heaters.  My electric bill went up $10 by doing this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
67 bucks last month.  get a wood stove.  make 2-3 trips to the country cut old downed oak wood, stoker 'er full and turn on the catalytic converter in the stove.

wood stoves beat furnaces and fireplaces all to hell.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Living in Tulsa, Ok. we have ONG and my gas bill for Oct. $39., Nov. $74., Dec. $138. & Jan $196.

Called them to find out why because we turned the thermostat down to 60 degrees last month. They said we had a few cold days, no crap, but we also had lots of very warm weather.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]
For those of you with fireplace inserts, I know that decent ones are ~$1800, but I have two questions.

Burning white or red oak, how much wood would you use during a cold week?

Second, how difficult is the install and or how much does an installation by a pro cost?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#16]
My GA gas bill was 210 this time. My house is 2000 sf and I use gas to cook and heat hot water. It wasn't this bad before the deregulation. I use SCANA. I also freaked out when I got my last bill.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
8000 sq ft
2 furnaces
 very efficient modern construction

Dec. bill was $227

Jan bill is $447 !!! ouch

8000 sqft!! Sounds like a fukin' mansion!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:14:19 AM EDT
[#18]
For those of you with fireplace inserts, I know that decent ones are ~$1800, but I have two questions.

Burning white or red oak, how much wood would you use during a cold week?

Second, how difficult is the install and or how much does an installation by a pro cost?

Depending on the weather a pickup load of hardwood can last me from 2 weeks to a month. If it just gets in the 30's at night or the upper 20's it will last close to a month.  But when it gets in the teens or closer to 0 I can use a pickup load in as little as two weeks.

Installation is not complicated but it is hard because my insert was close to 400 pounds.  You can basically mesure your fireplace and figure out what size you can get.  You might want to pay a few hundred to have some one install it for you.

The new ones are quite good, mine has a catalytic converter and when you punch that down and turn down the air going in things can get really hot and it almost runs us out of the front room.   Make sure you get one with a blower, we seldom have to turn the blower on medium, low is almost alway warm enough.

The insert is more than enough heat for the main level 1500 sq feet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#19]
$110
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm on the budget plan, so my bills are padded in the summer, and reduced in the winter.  My mother is not on the budget plan, and her gas bill was over $700 last month! (Philadelphia)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#21]
220 for gas and electric.

Gas stove
Gas Fireplace
Gas water heater
Gas Furnace
Gas Grill

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:04:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
We have propane. Average cost is about $500 a year. I own my own tank (buried in back yard) so I can play all of the providers against each other. I've filled it 3 times since I had the house built. Cheapest was about $.97 a gallon, the last fill was around $1.20.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn, looks like the gas companies will have PLENTY of money to go explore and drill new sites after this winter........

So I am going to replace my 18 year old water heater this weekend... has anyone done similar?  Old water heater  to new?  any obvious benefits?

I am going to go with a 50 gal, which is the most efficient one that Home Depot sells, MORE efficient then a 40..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Damn, looks like the gas companies will have PLENTY of money to go explore and drill new sites after this winter........

So I am going to replace my 18 year old water heater this weekend... has anyone done similar?  Old water heater  to new?  any obvious benefits?

I am going to go with a 50 gal, which is the most efficient one that Home Depot sells, MORE efficient then a 40..

Just get something with an energy factor of at least .80 and you can get up to a $300 tax credit (yes, that's credit and not just a deduction):

www.energy.gov/taxbreaks.htm
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#26]
3100 sqft house.  New construction in 2003/Five Star rated.

Propane fired hot water furnance for radiant floor heat (circ water is 92 degrees).  Propane fired dryer, cooktop, and firplace (which we have not operated in a month).

Summer's refill bill for a 500 gallon tank was $450.

Last fill up was $600+ hts,
Luckily our winter has been mild along the coast.  On the other side of the Cascades it's the usual winter temps.  They gotta be hurting more.

-P
Washington State
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top