Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:35:44 AM EDT
Father of Suicide Bombing Victim Deplores Award for "Paradise Now"

Yossi Zur, whose 16-year-son Asaf was killed by a suicide bomber in Haifa on March 5, 2003, wrote the following piece after learning that the Palestinian movie “Paradise Now” was awarded the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association Monday.

An Award for Terror

By Yossi Zur

This week the Hollywood Foreign Press Association awarded the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film to the Palestinian movie "Paradise Now." The film follows the path taken by two young Palestinians from their decision to become suicide bombers, until the moment they board a Tel Aviv bus crowded with children.

"Paradise Now" is a very professional production, created with great care for detail. It is also an extremely dangerous piece of work, not only for Israel and the Middle East, but the whole world.

My son Asaf was almost 17 years old, an eleventh-grader studying computer sciences, when one day after school he boarded a bus in Israel to return home. On the way, a suicide bomber from Hebron, 21 years old and himself a computer sciences student in the Hebron Polytechnic, also boarded the bus and blew himself up. Of the 17 people killed, nine were schoolchildren aged 18 or younger. Asaf was killed on the spot.

I went to see "Paradise Now" to try to understand what message it was trying to convey. Was it that the murderer is human and is as deserving of sympathy as his victims? He is not. Was it that he has doubts? He has none. After all, he is so sure of his mission that he is willing to kill himself along with his human targets.

Or maybe, I wondered, the film was trying to give the message that it is the Israelis who are to blame for this horrific act, for the phenomenon of suicide bombing. In that case, are the Israelis also to blame for the similar terrorist attacks on New York City's World Trade Center, the Bali nightclub, the Amman hotels, the shop in Turkey, the restaurant in Morocco the underground stations in London, the trains in Spain and so many others?

What exactly makes "Paradise Now" worthy of such a prestigious award? Would the entertainment writers who chose to honor this movie have given the same accolades if the film had been been about the young men from Saudi Arabia who moved to the U.S., took flying lessons and then underwent Islamic ritual preparations for their holy mission to crash airplanes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? Would they have dared to give such a version of "Paradise Now" a similar award? {Actually... yes!}

This movie attempts to deliver the message that suicide bombings are a legitimate tactic for those who feel they've exhausted all other means of resistance. But a suicide-murderer who boards a bus and snuffs out the lives of 15 or 20 innocent people, or who walks into a city carrying a biological, chemical or nuclear weapon and kills 10,000, or even 100,000 people, is that still a legitimate tactic? Where does one draw the line?

The world should draw the line at one person. My son was almost 17; he loved surfing, he loved pop music. He is now gone because a suicide bomber decided that blowing himself up on a crowded bus filled with children was somehow a legitimate act.

Awarding a movie such as "Paradise Now" only implicates the Hollywood Foreign Press Association in the evil chain of terror that attempts to justify these horrific acts, whether the number of victims is 17 or 17,000.

EDITED FOR CORRECTIONS:

Utterly indefensible. Not even the threadbare chant of "free speech" could be used with any shred of rationality to defend the sympathatic advocacy (and that's exactly what it is) of terrorism and suicide bombing.

Sad thing is, such a movie is absolutely no different than the bile that was put out by CNN immediately after 9/11 who aired exactly the same kind of "documentaries" - they also followed and filmed young soon-to-be suicide bombers and gave them a platform for airing their murderous reasons and "ideals".
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Bomb-back Mountain?

They were probably gay suicide bombers.  That would have made it irresistable to the Hollywierds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
man, i saw a clip to this and it wasn't exactly "sympathetic" to the bombers. from what little i've read about this flick, it was directed by a pal but there are also israeli and euros involved in the making. it supposedly shows two regular pals, car mechanics, who're called upon to make the sacrifice for jihad and what they go through. they weren't exactly willing. i think it's more critical than laudatory. but it's not critical enough to get the director killed by hamas.

the bits i saw showed the guy at an izzy bus stop. the izzies are just staring at him and when the bus stops, they get on and the pal just stands there. the driver looks at him like "you gonna get on?" and then a little girl walks up to the front of the bus and the guy waves the bus off. it was a pretty intense scene. later on, his hamas handlers want to track him down and kill him but his friend talks them out of it and he goes off to find out what's going on.

so, i dunno. this definitely didn't strike me as a propaganda piece.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
F^&K hollywood!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The filmmakers KNEW these kids were planning on murdering - and yet the just LET them get on that bus!????

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE ARREST WARRANTS AND FIRING SQUADS FOR THESE TERRORIST-SUPPORTING FILMMAKERS!???

THEY ARE ACCOMPLICES TO MURDER!!!!!!

I just don't understand why we haven't recruited Professor Xavier and the X-men to fight for us in Iraq.  With Xavier's telepathic powers, we could root out the terrorists in no time!

You do understand that this was a movie, right?  It involved actors, not two guys who got on a bus and blew themselves up...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]
A white  guy walks onto a bus , with a dynomite belt  on a bus full of mexicans.

That would fly in filmdom like a Led Zep.      

People need to get their heads out of their asses, and  wake up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A white  guy walks onto a bus , with a dynomite belt  on a bus full of mexicans.

That would fly in filmdom like a Led Zep.      

People need to get their heads out of their asses, and  wake up.

+.9bar
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You do understand that this was a movie, right?  It involved actors, not two guys who got on a bus and blew themselves up...

Ahh... I get it.

I was getting this one confused with the documentaries that are aired on CNN - in those they followed REAL terrorists up until they REALLY did massacre a bus load of kids.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top