Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2006 6:47:42 AM EDT
Remember when someone stole a tank and was driving it down the highway in LA?

Well if a remember they reported on "Cops" that we were lucky he didnt fire a round from his main gun...but isnt it impossible to drive the tank and fire a round at the same time....by that I mean doesnt that take 2 people?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:48:56 AM EDT
Yeah.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:49:26 AM EDT
He could stop, change seats, and shoot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:50:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Epsilon:
Remember when someone stole a tank and was driving it down the highway in LA?

San Diego

Well if a remember they reported on "Cops" that we were lucky he didnt fire a round from his main gun...but isnt it impossible to drive the tank and fire a round at the same time....by that I mean doesnt that take 2 people?

He didn't have ammo, the gun was locked down and no, the driver alone can't fire the gun while driving.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:50:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 6:50:33 AM EDT by USGI_45]
did he even have ammo for the main gun?

ahhh 2 seconds slow
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:50:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 6:50:36 AM EDT by hardcorps1775]
yes, you have to stop the tank and switch positions (if you can even get to the loader/gunner position).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:50:44 AM EDT
Each tank has a crew, one Commander, loader, gunner and driver.

Im glad stuff like that don't happen in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:51:16 AM EDT
isnt it impossible to drive the tank and fire a round at the same time....by that I mean doesnt that take 2 people?

This is true, if the guy who stole it where in the drivers position there is no control of the turret or main gun from that spot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:51:49 AM EDT
SUkebe is right, it was San Diego. The guy stole it from a national guard armory, and went thru a neighbor hood I used to live in...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:53:55 AM EDT
We have all the fun in San Diego. First a loonatik steals an M60 for the Nat'l Guard base and drives it down I-15. Then a semi trailering an M1 jacknifes on an a major interchange...M1 stuck upside down blocking the road. Then, not even a month ago an LAV loses control on a highway convoy and pitches off a bridge. 2 Marines didn't come home from that one. Ejected and fell 100ft.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:56:09 AM EDT
Didn't you guys see Rambo 3?

Of course you can drive and shoot at the same time!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:02:04 AM EDT
It helps to have a russian autoloading cannon in that case
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:03:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 7:04:03 AM EDT by _DR]
I got news for you.

Tanks and AFVs in the motorpool are NOT loaded with ANY munition of AnY kind. There are no munitions anywhere nearby.

Not even secondary weapons. None. Nada.

The ONLY time an Army or Marine Tank or AFV, whether Active, Reserve or National Guard will ever have munitions is if:

A: They are on a live fire range on a Military base, rounds are issued from an ammo point.
B: They are in an active war zone/mission area outside CONUS
C: They are part of a security or police force (For example Air Force SP APCs guarding a top secret facility).

So talk of him actually firing the main gun is completely irrelevent.

The fact he got the thing hung up on the median shows he wasn't even a good driver.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:05:35 AM EDT
The real danger from this guy was that he was hitting cars and property on purpose. 60 tons of steel will cause a lot of damage to your vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:10:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
The real danger from this guy was that he was hitting cars and property on purpose. 60 tons of steel will cause a lot of damage to your vehicle.

It was kindof fun to see it drive through a modern RV. Granted it wouldn't have been fun if you owned it or were in it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:16:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
It was kindof fun to see it drive through a modern RV. Granted it wouldn't have been fun if you owned it or were in it.

You mean your insurance doesn't cover act of tank?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:17:36 AM EDT
San Diego, National Guard Armory in Linda Vista.

Tanks for the memories.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:28:15 AM EDT
He had no ammunition of any sort, the gun tube was in the travel lock and he threw a track when tried to drive over the concrete barrier separating the lanes. The cop who shot him should have stood trial for murder.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 7:55:18 AM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By TnSlim:
He had no ammunition of any sort, the gun tube was in the travel lock and he threw a track when tried to drive over the concrete barrier separating the lanes. The cop who shot him should have stood trial for murder.

What always baffled me was why he did not battle-lock the thing from the inside?
I was Mech puke and mostly had a PLT of M113s with maybe a M577 issued to me, but I rode with a buddy who was a tanker from time to time if our drill weekends did not coincide, so the inside of an M60 was familiar to me. IIRC you could battle-lock both the loader's hatch and the commander's cupola from the inside.

He should have been able to do a "Cheech" marin and say "you can keep on knockin' but you can't come in" to the heat.

Or am I wrong about the battle-lock?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:37:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 7:42:39 AM EDT by XDBACKUPGUN]

He was in a TANK for the Christ Sake.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:40:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:40:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kk7sm:

Originally Posted By Mauser101:

You mean your insurance doesn't cover act of tank?

I think uninsured motorist coverage should handle that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:46:56 AM EDT
Personnally I think the ANG should have had some live fire practice with a Hell fire Missile, That would have made a staement, and been invaluable training.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:47:35 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:47:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:49:03 AM EDT
I agree that the shooting was justified. He drove through residencial neighborhoods and it was very very lucky that innocent kids or by-standers weren't run over. He and the taxpayers both deserved the quick end that was delivered. I'd almost be happy if that end were SOP for car thieves AFAIC.

I've also always wondered why the hatch wasn't locked? Can anybody comment on that?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:50:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

Ha ha, that's the first thing that popped into my head.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:52:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 7:53:02 AM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:

He was in a TANK for the Christ Sake.

In the cops defense, he had no way of knowing the perp was not armed. Entering the confines of an armored vehicle would make him (The cop) a perfect target for the perp if he had been armed.

I think CS gas grenade thrown in the tank would have been a much better way to handle it, but the cop would likely have been found justified by a court had he stood trial. (just a guess).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 8:07:32 AM EDT by SheepDog_556]
Tank-shmank.

All the cops had to do was make a headshot.

As to the whole "....should have stood trial for murder." An agency south of me recently popped a kid who was going on a rampage in an earth scraper. Typical hue and cry ensued....."just shoot the tires out..." etc.

Sure it would have been nice to have CS/CN or OC cannister to drop in the hatch, the bang it closed and wait for the guy to gag-out. Unforetunately, none of said items was on hand, the guy was attemtping to run-down civillians and was in the process of trying to get the tank of the concrete barrier. As far as I am concerned, it was a good shoot. If you are stupid enough to steal a tank and trying to run down folks, expect to get shot.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:07:29 AM EDT
There is/was one tank which is fully combat capable with a single crewman who can drive, aim, and fire at multiple targets without having to leave his seat.

The San Diego M60 was not this tank.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:16:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:
I got news for you.

Tanks and AFVs in the motorpool are NOT loaded with ANY munition of AnY kind. There are no munitions anywhere nearby.

Not even secondary weapons. None. Nada.

The ONLY time an Army or Marine Tank or AFV, whether Active, Reserve or National Guard will ever have munitions is if:

A: They are on a live fire range on a Military base, rounds are issued from an ammo point.
B: They are in an active war zone/mission area outside CONUS
C: They are part of a security or police force (For example Air Force SP APCs guarding a top secret facility).

So talk of him actually firing the main gun is completely irrelevent.

The fact he got the thing hung up on the median shows he wasn't even a good driver.

Amen brotha!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:17:05 AM EDT
Anyone have a link to the tank video?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:17:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:
There is/was one tank which is fully combat capable with a single crewman who can drive, aim, and fire at multiple targets without having to leave his seat.

The San Diego M60 was not this tank.

NTM

which one?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:17:37 AM EDT
So if this guy wasn't military, how did he drive the tank? What sort of controls are they using these days? Do they still use the two sticks to control the seperate treads (like a bulldozer) or do they use a steering yoke and pedals?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:20:57 AM EDT
Hoooah!! 2-185Ar !!! hahahaahahaha
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:22:07 AM EDT
he didnt throw a track, he high centered it trying to break threw the center wall to go into oncoming trafic... the shoot was good..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:58:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SheepDog_556:
Tank-shmank.

All the cops had to do was make a headshot.

As to the whole "....should have stood trial for murder." An agency south of me recently popped a kid who was going on a rampage in an earth scraper. Typical hue and cry ensued....."just shoot the tires out..." etc.

Sure it would have been nice to have CS/CN or OC cannister to drop in the hatch, the bang it closed and wait for the guy to gag-out. Unforetunately, none of said items was on hand, the guy was attemtping to run-down civillians and was in the process of trying to get the tank of the concrete barrier. As far as I am concerned, it was a good shoot. If you are stupid enough to steal a tank and trying to run down folks, expect to get shot.

Sheep

Agreed.

But what is typically the reason for units not having a cannister of CS/CN or OC on hand as S.O.P., would not take up much room in a cruiser, and it has innumerable practical uses. Not that expensive, probably less controversial than tazers.

The only drawback I could see was that when we had them they were frquently subject to prank use.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:03:47 AM EDT

What always baffled me was why he did not battle-lock the thing from the inside?
I was Mech puke and mostly had a PLT of M113s with maybe a M577 issued to me, but I rode with a buddy who was a tanker from time to time if our drill weekends did not coincide, so the inside of an M60 was familiar to me. IIRC you could battle-lock both the loader's hatch and the commander's cupola from the inside.

He should have been able to do a "Cheech" marin and say "you can keep on knockin' but you can't come in" to the heat.

Or am I wrong about the battle-lock?

I never worked a whole lot with M 60's, but I imagine so if there isa crawl space from the driver's seat to the turret, sort of like the M-1's...and if that were the case there would be no getting that guy out, just waiting or blowing him out
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:07:57 AM EDT
I was an 0352 NOT a Tanker but I dont think you can get from the drivers compartment to the turret without climbing on the deck and into the turret from the top on an M-60
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:08:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/4_sale/police02.jpg

Wow that is more cops than OJ .
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:13:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 9:13:53 AM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By rick458:
I was an 0352 NOT a Tanker but I dont think you can get from the drivers compartment to the turret without climbing on the deck and into the turret from the top on an M-60

I seem to remember an opening, but the turret had to be rotated the right way. Long time ago though.

Where are our resident Tread Heads?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:14:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 9:14:24 AM EDT by rickdawggg]

I think so too, I have never been in an armored vehicle where the driver could not get to the main compartment or turret of a vehicle by at least a crawlspace. M1's have to traverse their turrets to the rear so the driver can get out, and the driver's hatch cannot be closed from the outside of the vehicle...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:14:43 AM EDT
In Hindsight I think if you took a old soon to be decommisioned patrol car and place the bumper right in front of the track over the rear drive wheel you could burst the king pin and de track it
but you would need excellent aim and Audy Murphy's Balls and quite a bit of luck

Bear in mind the whole Hindsight thing
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT by _DR]
YES! I remembered correctly.

here is a pic of the driver's compartment as seen from the turret, looking down.
You could crawl through, but it was a tight fit. I remember having to remove LBE to do it now.

But it can be done.

HI-RES IMAGE of above

ETA - GOD HELP YOU if you were caught doing this when someone decided to rotate the turret.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:31:08 AM EDT

YES! I remembered correctly.

here is a pic of the driver's compartment as seen from the turret, looking down.
You could crawl through, but it was a tight fit. I remember having to remove LBE to do it now.

But it can be done.

i1.tinypic.com/mhrh2q.jpg

HI-RES IMAGE of above

As I figured, I have never even set foot inside a running M60, all the ones we have out here are decorations of the base hehehe
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:31:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 9:45:47 AM EDT by _DR]
More M60 MBT interior pics

Driver's seat

Hi-Res

Commander's Cupola (seen from above)

Hi-RES

Gunner's station to right of breech. The loader would hang out to the left and behind the breech while loading. It helped to be right-handed if you were a loader. Unlike the AR15, no ambidextrous model of the M60 tank was ever made.

HI-RES
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:33:24 AM EDT

In Hindsight I think if you took a old soon to be decommisioned patrol car and place the bumper right in front of the track over the rear drive wheel you could burst the king pin and de track it
but you would need excellent aim and Audy Murphy's Balls and quite a bit of luck

Bear in mind the whole Hindsight thing

Audy Murphy's Balls are quite hard to come by!

I just about fell out of my chair when reading this...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:41:45 AM EDT

What???????????????
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:46:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
........... and no, the driver alone can't fire the gun while driving.

Whadya mean? Can't he just press the red button on the steering wheel?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:48:12 AM EDT

I have no idea why anyone who saw the footage of the chase wouldnt want the guy capped. It was just luck he was stopped when he was. He already crush many cars and even tried to drop a interstate overpass. Im guessing you saw it since you know he was stuck on the barrier.
You also saw why he was on the barrier, because He was trying FULL throttle to drive into the on coming traffic. The guy was nuts.

Why did you think the cop should be tried for murder ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top