BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
........... and no, the driver alone can't fire the gun while driving.

Whadya mean? Can't he just press the red button on the steering wheel?

Real life aint BF 1942
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
After seeing those pics of the tank interior, I would have no idea how to drive a tank.

How did the guy know how to drive,   was he ex-military or what?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He had no ammunition of any sort, the gun tube was in the travel lock and he threw a track when tried to drive over the concrete barrier separating the lanes.  The cop who shot him should have stood trial for murder.

He was in the process of trying to nock down the overpass when he got it stuck. He was trying to  get it unstuck when he was shot. That cop should have been commended for having the balls to climb onto a moving tank with a psychopath in the driver's seat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He had no ammunition of any sort, the gun tube was in the travel lock and he threw a track when tried to drive over the concrete barrier separating the lanes.  The cop who shot him should have stood trial for murder.

We need the image of Haley Joel Osment saying he sees stupid people, and they post here...............
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have no idea why anyone who saw the footage of the chase wouldnt want the guy capped. It was just luck he was stopped when he was. He already crush many cars and even tried to drop a interstate overpass. Im guessing you saw it since you know he was stuck on the barrier.
You also saw why he was on the barrier, because He was trying FULL throttle to drive into the on coming traffic. The guy was nuts.

Why did you think the cop should be tried for murder ?

true, he was nuts. But very original, I mean when's the last time yousawsomebody steal a tank?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The real danger from this guy was that he was hitting cars and property on purpose.  60 tons of steel will cause a lot of damage to your vehicle.

A cop opened the hatch (should have been dogged) and fired more than a few rounds into the open hatch killing the guy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite part was when he went through the motorhome/camper whatever... that rocked.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why didnt something cool like an apache just blow up he tank when it was on the freeway? That could have been some good target practice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The real danger from this guy was that he was hitting cars and property on purpose.  60 tons of steel will cause a lot of damage to your vehicle.

A cop opened the hatch (should have been dogged) and fired more than a few rounds into the open hatch killing the guy.

The police brought bolt cutters with them when they boarded the tank and were able to force the hatch open.

IIRC, they tried to talk the guy out, and he responded by trying to rock the tank loose. When they thought he might be close to getting the tank off the median barrier, 1 round was fired.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
For one thing, he had the guy. The tank was stuck. The hatch was open. The dude was unarmed and drunk as I recall. If the Officer had a TASER I'd say use it! But he did not. All he had was his sidearm. If there was time and the scene was stable they could have called for OC gas. There wasn't. The tank was rocking off the K Rail and could have come free to continue  the rampage at any moment. It was a very tough call, but public safety is paramount. The driver had to go. At the time I was very pissed at them having to shoot him. Now in hindsight I agree, somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived there when that happened... Driving to work.... Saw alot of it as it happened..Wierdest damn thing....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I Know if that was in my neck of the woods i would hope the cops would shoot him. Given another minute maybe he could have rocked the tank off of there. If your a asshat and steal a fucking tank, destroying everything you possible can, guess what, your gonna get shot. Boo-fucking hoo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The officer who climbed on the tank was a former tanker. He used bolt cutters to access the turret, but I'll leave it to the experts to comment on if that is enought to access a turret that is in "battle lock". They yelled at him to come out and he tried to get it off the center divider and into oncoming traffic. Sounds like a deadly force situation to me.

Remember this was a few years back, way before the modern tazer and maybe even before widespread use of OC, though CS gas might have been carried by the officers. But are you going to trust a spray, that may or may not work, while on top of a tank that is trying to run into oncoming traffic? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Congratulations! You're retarded!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
But what is typically the reason for units not having a cannister of CS/CN or OC on hand as S.O.P., would not take up much room in a cruiser, and it has innumerable practical uses. Not that expensive, probably less controversial than tazers.  

The only drawback I could see was that when we had them they were frquently subject to prank use.

Cost, especially for larger agencies. Multiply the cost per canister times the number of cars. Then you have to get into some sort of security considerations; will the canister, for instance, have to be removed every time the car goes in for service as with the shotguns( typically every 2 weeks or so around here). And really, there aren't that many uses for a canister of OC for your average patrol officer. Belt-carried stream OC Mk III units are a bit different than a canister fog dispenser of OC. You start getting into that and you'll have to think about equipping every patrol officer with a pro mask, having routine fit tests and mask canister replacement, that sort of thing.For something that MIGHT be deployed by any given officer once in a  20 year career?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in the process of trying to nock down the overpass when he got it stuck. He was trying to  get it unstuck when he was shot. That cop should have been commended for having the balls to climb onto a moving tank with a psychopath in the driver's seat.

IIRC the whole supposed reason he was caught up on the median in the first place was that he was trying to bust across to oncoming traffic.  The fuckstick was ready, willing and just short of able to kill.  Thank God he was shot and killed before he could do so.  This is a dog that needed putting down and removal from the gene pool.  I'm glad the bullet got to him before the courts did.

Incidentally, I'm not too sure Tasers were in use yet with the SDPD when this happened.  I'm pretty positive they were not in wide use if at all available at this time.

Big_Bear-
Yeah, I didn't hear about that until after I'd posted.  A recycling truck smacked into an overhead sign that spanned the entire (i believe) southbound (4 or 5 lanes) of the 805.  Blocked off all lanes.  What a nightmare.  I was in the area at the time but I, thankfully, had decided to take a differant freeway this morn.  I think it may have been relatively close to where TnSlim's hero was put out of our misery.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SUkebe is right, it was San Diego. The guy stole it from a national guard armory, and went thru a neighbor hood I used to live in...

Marine Reserve not Nat G.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
After seeing those pics of the tank interior, I would have no idea how to drive a tank.

How did the guy know how to drive,   was he ex-military or what?

Former Tank Mechanic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.musicman.com/00pic/2892.jpg

I liked that movie.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why didnt something cool like an apache just blow up he tank when it was on the freeway? That could have been some good target practice.

The police asked the USMC to take out the tank and they declined. Said it was a civie LE problem not a DOD problem. Even though it was a DOD tank.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The police asked the USMC to take out the tank and they declined. Said it was a civie LE problem not a DOD problem. Even though it was a DOD tank.

yea, imagine what a bunch of gruntsfrom pendleton would have wanted to do. Wise of the Marine CO to decline, that would be a lot of potential collateral on that one
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
........... and no, the driver alone can't fire the gun while driving.

Whadya mean? Can't he just press the red button on the steering wheel?

Exactly, I could do this in Battlezone no problem!

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in a TANK for the Christ Sake.

In the cops defense, he had no way of knowing the perp was not armed. Entering the confines of an armored vehicle would make him (The cop) a perfect target for the perp if he had been armed.

I think CS gas grenade thrown in the tank would have been a much better way to handle it, but the cop would likely have been found justified by a court had he stood trial. (just a guess).

Cops are empowered to use deadly force to affect an arrest, and are not required to retreat. If you or I had done it, yes, it would have been murder (legally). We can only legally use deadly force in defense of our lives, to prevent serious injury or sexual assault.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Article: crossword.uniontrib.com/news/nation/19950518-167-stolen57.html

Four officers -- including a reservist familiar with tanks -- then jumped atop the tank and used bolt cutters to open its hatch, which was in "combat lockdown," as police and media helicopters circled overhead in the gathering dusk.

"San Diego Police and the California Highway Patrol chase a stolen military tank down Interstate 805. The tank was stolen from the National Guard Armory by Shawn T. Nelson, who led police through the streets of Linda Vista before entering the freeway. Nelson finally crashed the tank into the center divider of Southbound Highway 163 and was shot dead by San Diego Police."

Shawn Timothy Nelson, 35, a divorced, alcoholic, drug-taking plumber, had been watching his life crumble around him. He lost his job, his girlfriend left him, he broke his neck in an accident, and he had recently been evicted from his house. So He stole a 57-ton U.S. Military M-60 tank.

On May 17, 1995, in San Diego, Nelson entered a National Guard Armory, started up the heavily armed tank, and headed out for the highway. Barreling through six miles of residential roads and with 20 police cruisers trailing helplessly behind, Nelson mashed 20 cars, flattened vans, knocked over telephone poles, and squashed a telephone booth and a bus bench. The power lines that were knocked down left 5,000 homes without electricity

Fortunately the tank's weapons -- a 105 mm cannon, 7.62 mm machine gun, and a 12.7 mm anti-aircraft gun -- were not loaded.

Leaving behind a trail of destroyed vehicles, spouting hydrants, sideswiped bridges, and nail-biting insurance agents, Nelson's rampage finally came to a halt when his tank became immobilized astride a concrete highway divider. At that point, four police officers leaped onto the tank, opened the hatch with bolt cutters, and shot Nelson to death.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is/was one tank which is fully combat capable with a single crewman who can drive, aim, and fire at multiple targets without having to leave his seat.

The San Diego M60 was not this tank.

NTM

which one?

Ooops.. Forgot to say. It's the Strv-103. Autoloader takes care of throwing the main gun rounds in, the driver is also the gunner. TC commands the tank, third crewman faces backwards for reverse driving ops (And manning the radio)

NTM
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]
tag...   fo' lata.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Shawn Nelson was a well-known tweaker and had told his friends that he was going to steal the tank, flatten everything he could, and not be taken alive.  He was a low-life scumbag and got what he deserved.

In 2002, Garrett Scott made a documentary entitled "Cul de Sac: A Suburban War Story" that has never been released on video, but is shown on cable occasionally.  Watch it before making a decision about whether the cop was right about poppin' a cap in his dumb ass.  (Sorry, I've been watching "Pulp Fiction." )
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#28]
When the time the officer got on the tank and ordered the psycho to stop, he refused to do so, and the tank was about to move again, and officer had no choice. AFAIK, he shot him on the shoulder, but the bullet made its way into vital organs resulting in death.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I disagree.  I'd rather see more of these kind of endings to high speed IDIOT chases.  

Lose your brain...lead cops on high speed chase threatening the community = summary execution on roadside. exception if the chase ends in the hospital parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not joking when I say that I'm impressed with that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  I'd rather see more of these kind of endings to high speed IDIOT chases.  

Lose your brain...lead cops on high speed chase threatening the community = summary execution on roadside. exception if the chase ends in the hospital parking lot.

Once he hung up the tank, he could have been taken alive. Then again, I would probably have shot him myself.

They don't store tanks with ammo on board.

The "Cop" type shows lay it on rather thick. I wish they'd stick to the facts, rather than highlight their own predjudice. I don't feel comfortable about people with police powers broadcasting their distain for dealing with the public.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The police brought bolt cutters with them when they boarded the tank and were able to force the hatch open.

IIRC, they tried to talk the guy out, and he responded by trying to rock the tank loose. When they thought he might be close to getting the tank off the median barrier, 1 round was fired.

Former tanker here. Trainined on the M60's. You can open the loaders hatch with a ball peen hammer if you know what you are doing. Even if it is latched from the inside.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hoooah!! 2-185Ar !!! hahahaahahaha

I was in the 3-185thAr up in Vista.They must have gotten the 60's after I left,cause all we had were junk -48A5s.

Had this been a -48,he never would have made it outta the gate(unless he pulled it out with a 5-ton),the only ones we had that ran were either at Camp Elliot(Miramar)or Camp Roberts,or Ft.Irwin.(and they did'nt run too good either)

At our unit in Vista,we had one non-running -48A5.someone would hook up the duece(non-whistler),and it would be pulled into the gym,where there was a plywood setup with model tanks.This was used for practice gunnery,only saw this once. Some joker put some of the model tanks in various states of "tank intercourse" typical NG humor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I was in the 3-185thAr up in Vista.They must have gotten the 60's after I left,cause all we had were junk -48A5s.

Had this been a -48,he never would have made it outta the gate(unless he pulled it out with a 5-ton),the only ones we had that ran were either at Camp Elliot(Miramar)or Camp Roberts,or Ft.Irwin.(and they did'nt run too good either)

At our unit in Vista,we had one non-running -48A5.someone would hook up the duece(non-whistler),and it would be pulled into the gym,where there was a plywood setup with model tanks.This was used for practice gunnery,only saw this once. Some joker put some of the model tanks in various states of "tank intercourse" typical NG humor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea why anyone who saw the footage of the chase wouldnt want the guy capped. It was just luck he was stopped when he was. He already crush many cars and even tried to drop a interstate overpass. Im guessing you saw it since you know he was stuck on the barrier.
You also saw why he was on the barrier, because He was trying FULL throttle to drive into the on coming traffic. The guy was nuts.

Why did you think the cop should be tried for murder ?

I saw the footage live.  There was no way to know if the crushed vehicles were occupied, or how many people he had killed, or would kill.   He was clearly a threat.

Same here in Tucson when a kid stole an earth mover.  If either guy was heading toward your house, what would you want?  Monday morning quarterback as a pancake is a flaming bitch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Former tanker here. Trainined on the M60's. You can open the loaders hatch with a ball peen hammer if you know what you are doing. Even if it is latched from the inside.

Let's hope the hatches on the Abrams are more secure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#37]
He had no weapons and the tank was immobilized.  He'd broken one track and was high-sided on the concrete barrier.  It probably took half a dozen wreckers (or a couple of M-88s) to remove it.  He was no threat to anyone and what threat he'd presented two minutes previous is meaningless.

At that moment it wasn't a tank, it was a 125,000 lb. pillbox.  The cop got caught up in the heat of the moment and shot unarmed man.  It was a bad decision and a needless shooting and charges should have been brought against him.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I saw the footage live.  There was no way to know if the crushed vehicles were occupied, or how many people he had killed, or would kill.  

This is a very good point.
Don't forget, at this point the cops had NO WAY to know this guy wasn't packing.
And no reason to think that if he was, he would not use it.

I don't blame the cop for shooting him in light of these facts. I'm sure he did not want to end his shift in a bodybag.  The tank thief was definitely a nominee for the Darwin award.

All he had to do was come out with his hands up after the joyride, and live.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea, imagine what a bunch of gruntsfrom pendleton would have wanted to do. Wise of the Marine CO to decline, that would be a lot of potential collateral on that one

yep , with the time concern with him moving it would have been nice lauching that much shrapnel around on a highway

still would have been hella cool to see
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the hipocracy of some here. You bitch about the militarization of the police when SWAT teams are formed but absolutly will not agree to the use of the military on domestic soil even when a friggin tank is rolling down main st.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He had no weapons and the tank was immobilized.  He'd broken one track and was high-sided on the concrete barrier.  It probably took half a dozen wreckers (or a couple of M-88s) to remove it.  He was no threat to anyone and what threat he'd presented two minutes previous is meaningless.

At that moment it wasn't a tank, it was a 125,000 lb. pillbox.  The cop got caught up in the heat of the moment and shot unarmed man.  It was a bad decision and a needless shooting and charges should have been brought against him.

He was actively trying to dislodge the tank from the barrier. The tank never threw a track. Maybe after everything was done and over with they discovered he would not have been able to get it unstuck by himself, but the cop did not know that at the time of the shooting all he knew was that he was attempting to dislodge it, and per the supreme court he cannot be held liable for information discovered after the fact.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The tank did not throw a track, it was only high centered, and he was trying to get it freed.... and quite likely could have given enough time.

When you watch the video you can clearly see both tracks still moving when the offcer climbs on to the tank.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the hipocracy of some here. You bitch about the militarization of the police when SWAT teams are formed but absolutly will not agree to the use of the military on domestic soil even when a friggin tank is rolling down main st.

Umm, thinking LE should not get too "militarized" and the real military should stay out of LE are in fact the same thing, not hypocritical.  It would be hypcritical to think the military should be free to do ti but LE should not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

1/185

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, thinking LE should not get too "militarized" and the real military should stay out of LE are in fact the same thing, not hypocritical.  It would be hypcritical to think the military should be free to do ti but LE should not.

Yes you're absolutly right I used the wrong words. but my point is that if you want to keep the police armed only with billy clubs and a whistles and then you want to keep the military from participating in even extreme situations like a friggin tank rolling down the street how do you expect us to stop him? Tianiman square style?

It seems the trend here is that everybody should have any weapon they like except if you wear a badge, then you might try to oppress us so here's your club and whistle.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone got a link to the video?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I remember hearing a story about Steve Mcqueen. Apparently he stole a tank from Camp Pendleton and drove it down hill street.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:07:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
...When you watch the video you can clearly see both tracks still moving when the offcer climbs on to the tank.

Quoted:
...The tank never threw a track....

Sorry fellas, you’re mistaken.

Near the end of the confrontation you clearly can see the right side drive sprocket spinning sans track.  The left side track is spinning because the tank is high centered nearer that side of the tub and the track pads are only barely contacting the ground.

He snapped the track that had been in firm contact with the ground by snatching it about, attempting to manhandle his tank off the top of that barrier.  Tanks are much more fragile than most folks think; skilled drivers operating M60s sensibly threw tracks all the time.  With a rampaging drunk at the controls, it was just an eventuality.

Quoted:
Congratulations! You're retarded!

Quoted:
...We need the image of Haley Joel Osment saying he sees stupid people, and they post here...............

Thanks, fellas, I appreciate the affirmation.  The onset of the ad hominem attacks typically means that I'm on the right path. ;-)

I sometimes agree with the police bypassing the court system and administering capitol punishment on the spot.  This wasn’t one of them.  This was tantamount to shooting a drunk driver who’d fled from the police after he’d wrapped his car around a telephone pole.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The officer who climbed on the tank was a former tanker. He used bolt cutters to access the turret, but I'll leave it to the experts to comment on if that is enought to access a turret that is in "battle lock".

Certainly not an expert, but I'm a former USMC 2531 and was stationed with 2nd Tank Battalion for 4 years.  In my period of service the USMC was still using the M60A1.  I remember being able to open many locked loaders hatches by striking the periscope hatch plate.  Sometimes just a couple of hards knocks with my fist would suffice and it would pop open.  Others required a hammer but the trick usually worked.  I could then reach inside and turn the hatch locking latch arm.  Could be they weren't "battle locked" though, I don't remember what that is exactly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
[I'm not joking when I say that I'm impressed with that.

Impressed by a move that most likely was motivated by a CYA attitude of "I'm not gonna go near THAT one with a 10 foot pole"?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top