Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
While there is no replacement for displacement, a small-block can do some wild shit.  It revs faster therefore getting to its "power band" faster, and is more readily kept there.

As good as this may "sound", it's total nonsense. Big Blocks don't have a "powerband".
They make tire roasting power from a dead idle to max RPM.
Small blocks need RPM to make horsepower.

The difference in weight between BBC & SBC is about 140lbs if using iron heads.
Aluminum heads on a BBC are good for 70lbs in weight savings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How would you like a bullet proof big block with the displacement of a small block but the torque of a 454?

Look for a 366 truck engine.  They have taller decks than normal BB's, but they have the stoke of a SB 400 and a real slim bore.  These engines were true brutes.

This has to be the worst engine advice I've ever seen...

366 engines are for dump trucks and school buses. Max RPM is probably no more than 4500RPM.
The tall deck means the rods are .400" longer...  This combined with a short stroke, small/heavy three+1 ring pistons means horrible performance.

The 366 uses a 427 crank and small bore. Come to think of it, about the ONLY thing in a 366 thats worth a crap is the 3.76" stroke crankshaft.
With a 4.250" bore 454 block, you will have a 427.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I vote for any straight 6. Ha! Seriously though, I'd go for the 350.

+1 for the old skool stovebolt Chevy L6.  Either the old style (235, 261, 302GMC) or the later (230, 250, 292) with multi carbs, headers with dual exhaust, 4 speed, etc.  I've even seen them with GMC blowers on them......
Wouldn't really fit with a modern pastel colored, smooth billet hot rod but would be perfect for a retro-rod.  A 348/409 W motor would work for a retro-rod also but $$$$$$$.

A Cadillac 472 or 500 might be an option.  Tons of torque, lighter than a BB Chevy IIRC & speed parts are available.  Less demand ($$$$$) since you won't be fighting with every BillyBob & Jethro who want them for their Chevelle/Camaro/4x4 PU like the BB Chevy.  Same thing for Olds/Pontiac/Buick big blocks.  Dare to be different.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy a totaled Z06.... Use the power train out of that.  Good mods available, good HP, good gas mileage, Good fun!!

and good luck.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Big Block

There is no substitute for Cubic Inches!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is no replacement for substitutes.

Wait, thats not it.........

There is no substitute for gas.

Damnit, thats not either.....

What is it again.........

Nothing beats cubic inches.

Incorrect.

"There's no replacement for displacment."

Is what he is looking for.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This has to be the worst engine advice I've ever seen...

Well then you ain't seen much engine advice.  The tall deck 366/427 truck engines were built better than almost any short deck BB that ever left Detroit.  I didn't say to drop it in "stock" with no mods.  It's the block, heads and crank that offer the true "bullet proof" potential.  You would obviously need to switch the cam, pistons, rods, intake & exhaust, and perform some head work.  But what stock engine would you not do that too that wouldn't break the bank?

366 engines are for dump trucks and school buses. Max RPM is probably no more than 4500RPM.
No, those are the vehicles that they left Detroit in, if you build them properly they are for any purpose you see fit.  Did you read what the thread originator was going to use it for?  A hot rod, not a Drag Racer, not a Sprint car.  You might also pay attention where he wrote: "...I dont want to rebuild it after everytime I drive it." That translates into: He wants something very reliable that won't break down every time it gets redlined, and the "redline" shouldn't be drawn at 7,000.

The tall deck means the rods are .400" longer...  This combined with a short stroke, small/heavy three+1 ring pistons means horrible performance.
Horrible performance for someone who wants to rev it to 7,000 rpm maybe.  Do you expect this guy to use a 3,000 rpm stall torque converter or something?  The taller deck allows the use of longer rods with a 2-ring piston.  Longer rods generate more torque than shorter ones, making it easier to smoke the tires at low rpms.  That's why the high dollar 383 kits come with specially made pistons that use the 350 rods instead of the 400 rods. I guess you were absent the day that was covered in class.

The 366 uses a 427 crank and small bore. Come to think of it, about the ONLY thing in a 366 thats worth a crap is the 3.76" stroke crankshaft.
A 366 does not use a 427's crank, nor does the 427 use the 366's.  They shared the same stoke.  All of the Mark IV engines, 366, 396, 402, and 427, had the same stroke except for the 454.  Some had iron, some had steel.

With a 4.250" bore 454 block, you will have a 427.
Well, look on the bright side, at least your math doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Anything but a fucking Ch*vy motor.  Stick something oddball into it, something that will turn heads rather than just make people think "Oh, another SBC powered smallblock.  Big fucking deal."
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]

There is no replacement for displacement. You will regret not getting the larger block to expand on later.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#11]
For the old rods, go BIG, this is a 46 mercury I'm building with a 502 crate with Dart Pro II heads
On a Art Morrison chassis.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
350 as you stated are cheaper, and you would be suprised how much HP you can crank out if its done right.

454 is a great engine mind you.

Though I am biased towards the 427.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Behold the 572 chevy crate motor.  That plus merlin heads and 1000hp is not far away, ON PUMP GAS
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
v6 or small block with a turbo or two hanging off of it

That would make for an exciting engine......If your a 16 year old GIRL.

yeah those grand nationals are sooooo slow
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
v6 or small block with a turbo or two hanging off of it

That would make for an exciting engine......If your a 16 year old GIRL.

yeah those grand nationals are sooooo slow

Grandnationals are badass.  Chevy has a 1000hp capable 4 banger. I have a 300 hp V-6.  Just because it doesn't have 8 cylinders doesn't mean it's not bad ass.  Only 3 mods I have left though are Nitrous a supercharger, and a new computer.  That's the limitation on 6's.  No aftermarket.  Same as a Viper, with 10 cylinders there is only so much you can get out of it because of the lack of aftermarket.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
If money is not a problem do the world products 454 small block it puts out the horses without the weight and the conversations that you will have will blow people away
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If you really want to be different, think about something like a 409.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
To be totally honest from the line of work I was in, which was building performance engines for racing, you have to ask yourself the question. What do you really want?

I understand for a street rod you want it to be nasty and what not. But I would actually suggest the LS2 idea. Great gas mileage and 400 HP. It will rev up into the 6K rpm range stock and it doesnt take a whole lot to make more power with these engines as well. Painless Wiring makes a harness for it as well so you dont have to worry about makin a cobbled up mess. A friend of mine used the harness they make for the LT1s and it was a easy instal.

But balls to the wall small block is actually the Dart Little Cheif.

You can make a 490 ci small block BUT it has cylinder heads on it that have combustion chambers and ports like the pro stock BB cylinder heads. You could prolly make 1000 HP with no boost or bottle and run it on plain race gas if you know what you are doin.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top