Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:56:04 PM EDT
Ok, I've been seeing this commerical a lot while watching the football games.  Now, I should preface this by saying I'm a bit of a computer geek, but this advertising has be baffled.

They say that the Intel chip has been trapped inside the PC, and it will do so much more in a Mac.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPU is pretty much the centerpiece of the computer.  Granted, a lot of a computers functionality is also memory and video card based.  Sooo, wouldn't the chip be doing the same thing whether or not it was in a PC or a MAC?

And... if Apple thought their machines were superior, why did they go to a chipmaker that made chips for PCs?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
don't question the MAC koolaid...just drink it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  It's Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate macs.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok, I've been seeing this commerical a lot while watching the football games.  Now, I should preface this by saying I'm a bit of a computer geek, but this advertising has be baffled.

They say that the Intel chip has been trapped inside the PC, and it will do so much more in a Mac.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPU is pretty much the centerpiece of the computer.  Granted, a lot of a computers functionality is also memory and video card based.  Sooo, wouldn't the chip be doing the same thing whether or not it was in a PC or a MAC?

And... if Apple thought their machines were superior, why did they go to a chipmaker that made chips for PCs?

They are superior because of OSX.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Because IBM couldn't make a chip that was both fast enough and runs cool enough, esp in the laptop arena.  That, and IBM sold their soul to Sony and MS for the Cell processor for PS3 and Xbox.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Mostly price I would immagine.
Only outher thing I can add is this,
mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawarisan/imac_intel/imac_intel01.html

Guts of A intel I-Mac.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
don't question the MAC koolaid...just drink it.

Not a koolaid man I'm afraid to say.  I actually prefer Tang... both kinds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
All a CPU does is add and subtract ... it is the OS that is the soul of the computer.  An Intel CPU based Mac will not be able to be distinquished from a PowerPC based Mac unless you pop the cover.

Intel technology has surpassed IBM's in the terms of processor performance so Apple has done the right thing ..

FYI ... Microsoft dumped Intel chips in their XBOX 360 for PowerPC chips ... go figure ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
mmmm cinnabon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
All a CPU does is add and subtract ... it is the OS that is the soul of the computer.  An Intel CPU based Mac will not be able to be distinquished from a PowerPC based Mac unless you pop the cover.

Intel technology has surpassed IBM's in the terms of processor performance so Apple has done the right thing ..

Ok, so not to sound stupid, but comparing the Intel chips in a Mac, and the Intel chips in a PC, would be like comparing apples and oranges?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone remember the Apple commercials with the Intel logo on the back of a snail? About how sloooooooow an Intel chip was? Hope Intel is getting them back in the pricing arena.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Because IBM couldn't make a chip that was both fast enough and runs cool enough, esp in the laptop arena.  That, and IBM sold their soul to Sony and MS for the Cell processor for PS3 and Xbox.

bingo... i hear the new macs will be WAY faster than the older ones... might actually catch up to pc's lol.

macs are fine, just not my cup of tea.  maybe if they let someone other than apple build parts, a la pc, it would be a different ballgame.

that, and the attitude of a lot of mac owners.  not all, but enough.  mac is a status symbol, like driving a maybach.  they're simply better people than you for the only reason that they own a mac.  they may be a closet rapist, but they're better than you because of the fruit under their desk.

i was seriously considering a mac mini, just to have one to mess around on.  it's small, so it doesn't take up any space, and i can fart around with os x.  but, it's $500 i could spend on my existing computer, or firearms, or whatever, and i simply just don't have a use for it.

ETA: oh yeah, and now mac users can FINALLY look at a windows screen without groaning, win vista will have an anti-aliased screen.  who gives a crap, it's an operating system?? sheesh
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, so not to sound stupid, but comparing the Intel chips in a Mac, and the Intel chips in a PC, would be like comparing apples and oranges?

like apples to apples, just at a higher price for the MAC apples.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wonder why Mac users are almost cult like if not completely. I can understand being a fan of a product but holy Jim Jones koolaid BAtman, some get extreme. (just watch the responses to this and make your judgement)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just wonder why MacGlock users are almost cult like if not completely. I can understand being a fan of a product but holy Jim Jones koolaid BAtman, some get extreme. (just watch the responses to this and make your judgement)

Fixed.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They are superior because of OSX Unix.  Nuff said.

There ya go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
None. It was all a lie. JFK is hanging out with Elvis and Jin Morrison on a beach in Aruba.

Someone is in the wrong thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just wonder why MacGlock users are almost cult like if not completely. I can understand being a fan of a product but holy Jim Jones koolaid BAtman, some get extreme. (just watch the responses to this and make your judgement)

Fixed.  

They drink the same koolaid as 1911 owners, just a different flavor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]
What a stupid commercial.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just wonder why Mac users are almost cult like if not completely. I can understand being a fan of a product but holy Jim Jones koolaid BAtman, some get extreme. (just watch the responses to this and make your judgement)

It seems the anti-MAC people are the same way, if not more. They want to beat you down and tell you how stupid you are for wanting to use one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed.  

They drink the same koolaid as 1911 owners, just a different flavor.

Correct.  1911 Kool-aid is cherry flavored.

Mac is grape -

and Glock kool-aid tastes similar to raw sewage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems the anti-MAC people are the same way, if not more. They want to beat you down and tell you how stupid you are for wanting to use one.

Those folks are just as nuts. Seems both sides have folks with superiority comlexes though. I just see it in Mac users more.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bingo... i hear the new macs will be WAY faster than the older ones... might actually catch up to pc's lol. Back in the day, the PowerPC was way faster in terms of cycles per MHz than the Intel chipsets. The PowerPC was faster per MHz than intel.

macs are fine, just not my cup of tea.  maybe if they let someone other than apple build parts, a la pc, it would be a different ballgame.The reason that Macs don't have driver issues is becaus Apple has stringent guidlines. Can't pop a $29 video card from an unknown supplier and not expect to not have problems

that, and the attitude of a lot of mac owners.  not all, but enough.  mac is a status symbol, like driving a maybach.  they're simply better people than you for the only reason that they own a mac.  they may be a closet rapist, but they're better than you because of the fruit under their desk.The Mac has always been a more user friendly OS than Windows. When NEC reversed engineered the OS for Microsoft, they screwed things up, and it has stayed screwed up.

i was seriously considering a mac mini, just to have one to mess around on.  it's small, so it doesn't take up any space, and i can fart around with os x.  but, it's $500 i could spend on my existing computer, or firearms, or whatever, and i simply just don't have a use for it.

ETA: oh yeah, and now mac users can FINALLY look at a windows screen without groaning, win vista will have an anti-aliased screen.  who gives a crap, it's an operating system?? sheesh Visual appeal is important to most computer users who use a GUI. A CLI user has no need for the fraphics, but those are few and far between now.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+10000   3 people I work with are obsessed with their mac, every day they all talk about their macs
Infact, I still have an IM open from one of them......

friend: this new iWeb is amazing
friend: it's for making web stuff
friend: u can get like groups of photos in iPhoto and make an instant photo album
friend: or a blog
friend: or a basic info page
friend: it's crazy
myself: awsome
friend: dynamically changes ur links and shit
friend: as u drag/drop
friend: heh b4
friend: i held the play button on the remote
friend: to see what it'd do
friend: my mac shut off
friend: hahaha
friend: pressed play again
friend: and it turned back on
myself: uhh  is it supposed to do that?
friend: yeah
friend: so u can turn it on/off
friend: like an appliance
myself: oh
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Comparing Macs to Windows based machines is like comparing a SIG P210 to a fucking Hi-Point. Sure, the Hi-Point is cheaper and you can buy them in every pawn shop in the country, but you never know when it will blow up in your face.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Comparing Macs to Windows based machines is like comparing a SIG P210 to a fucking Hi-Point. Sure, the Hi-Point is cheaper and you can buy them in every pawn shop in the country, but you never know when it will blow up in your face.

You are thinking of a glock,  not a hi-point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Apple is just an en vogue fashion thing.  It's a one-stop-shop for overpriced gadgetry that can all get plugged in together and match.  I have nothing against Apple I think OS X is actually a really good product but 9/10 people choose Apple to be different and 'stylish'.  I am more interested in the Darwin core and things like that personally, but I cannot justify spending that much on a computer just because of eye candy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#32]
The marketing is stupid, just like their dumbassed "switch" commercials.

Then again, ALL marketing is stupid.  Just put out a farking whitepaper with all the damned specs and let the consumer do their own damned research without all the bullshit hype.

That said, my next laptop will be a MacBook Pro because a) OSX is unix and b) the hardware virtualization is a damned nice feature, letting you run windows in a window at the native speed of the CPU.  So I can have windows when I need it, and unix for everything else.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Then again, ALL marketing is stupid.  Just put out a farking whitepaper with all the damned specs and let the consumer do their own damned research without all the bullshit hype.

That said, my next laptop will be a MacBook Pro because a) OSX is unix and b) the hardware virtualization is a damned nice feature, letting you run windows in a window at the native speed of the CPU.  So I can have windows when I need it, and unix for everything else.  

Could you not do the same thing with VMware?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you not do the same thing with VMware?

Not nearly as well.  Not even close.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bingo... i hear the new macs will be WAY faster than the older ones... might actually catch up to pc's lol. Back in the day, the PowerPC was way faster in terms of cycles per MHz than the Intel chipsets. The PowerPC was faster per MHz than intel.

macs are fine, just not my cup of tea.  maybe if they let someone other than apple build parts, a la pc, it would be a different ballgame.The reason that Macs don't have driver issues is becaus Apple has stringent guidlines. Can't pop a $29 video card from an unknown supplier and not expect to not have problems

that, and the attitude of a lot of mac owners.  not all, but enough.  mac is a status symbol, like driving a maybach.  they're simply better people than you for the only reason that they own a mac.  they may be a closet rapist, but they're better than you because of the fruit under their desk.The Mac has always been a more user friendly OS than Windows. When NEC reversed engineered the OS for Microsoft, they screwed things up, and it has stayed screwed up.

ETA: oh yeah, and now mac users can FINALLY look at a windows screen without groaning, win vista will have an anti-aliased screen.  who gives a crap, it's an operating system?? sheesh Visual appeal is important to most computer users who use a GUI. A CLI user has no need for the fraphics, but those are few and far between now.

yes, the powerpc WAS a great processor initially.  but, i think apple held onto it way too long, by the time i was using it in school, the p133 pc's were smoking it.  maybe it was outdated hardware, but these were in brand new computer labs i set up.  either way, it's just a technology shuffle.  but generally speaking i tend to wait less when working on a pc.  i can't compare that fairly though, i haven't done routine work on macs for quite some time.

i do see the point of the hardware issue, and it works great.  but i think it also hurts business that you can only buy the ultra-high-end mac stuff.  a lot of people scoff at pc's unreliability, but ultimately they are comparing apples to oranges.  if you get high quality pc hardware, it works, just like the mac.  being proprietary (if you call it that) circumvents these pc problems.  as always, you get what you pay for.

up until win xp, i would agree that the mac operating system was easier to use, and more reliable (leaving out the unices).  while mac still has some minor issues that appear to be easier-to-use, i think both OSes are on a fairly even playing field at this time.  neither is easier, just _different_.

i think one of the big difference between mac and pc users ultimately do come down to aesthetics.  apple has pc's beat hands down on case engineering and OS prettyness.  that's probably the biggest complaint i hear about pcs, is how blah they look.  and, mac doesn't have the INCREDIBLY ghey 3rd party cases that are popular now.  their laptop case designs are phenomenal.  i think they spend all their money making it look pretty, but sometimes fall short of the internals (not necessarily apple's fault).  and, i could give a crap if my operating system is anti-aliasing.  yes, it looks nice, but requires more overhead, something i truly don't desire.  my screen is good enough, and end results with productivity is just as good as the mac screen.  who cares if my program icons look breathtaking, i'd rather have functionality.  however, vista solves this issue (hooray ).

i really considered switching to a mac for my work, i debated it for months.  in the end, it turns out i'll still have to have a pc on my desk, and ultimately i gain nothing from switching machines.  nothing wrong with the format, it works fine.  as with weapons, it's just a tool.  sometimes there just happens to be a tool behind the keyboard
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I have 3 PC's, and one 17" powerbook for personal use. If i didn't have to have the PC's to run my vinyl cutting machines, I'd throw them in the trash. There's is no comparring a PC to a Mac, the mac is just plain better in every aspect except gaming. Simple, to the point, never crashes,  100 times better for music and video editing, twice as fast, and bulletproof. PC's, imho, are flaming piles of shit..........well, at least the Window's operating system is. Anyone that knocks a mac, is someone who's never used a decent one, or someone who can't afford one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have 3 PC's, and one 17" powerbook for personal use. If i didn't have to have the PC's to run my vinyl cutting machines, I'd throw them in the trash. There's is no comparring a PC to a Mac, the mac is just plain better in every aspect except gaming. Simple, to the point, never crashes,  100 times better for music and video editing, twice as fast, and bulletproof. PC's, imho, are flaming piles of shit..........well, at least the Window's operating system is. Anyone that knocks a mac, is someone who's never used a decent one, or someone who can't afford one.

Be a man and move to Linux.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Oops, there is that elite factor that was just being discussed...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, there is that elite factor that was just being discussed...

Yeah no shit.... symbol of pride that you can "afford" a Mac?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I just like using macs, I grew up using them.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
www.tomasbecklin.com/hello/2/894/1024/iProduct.jpg

I love that pic.

[homer]"It's funny because it's true!"[/homer]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I dont get it either.  I have never fallen for the Apple line.  "Thrice the price!  Check out the fancy casing!"

I also remember Apple's ads explaining how the slower CPU rates of Apples were actually faster than PC CPU rates.  But now Intel chips are supposed to be something huge and momentous.

Whatever.  Go on paying 3x for the same shit and somehow feeling superior.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I work with three Mac users and from watching them with their Macs it certainly seems a substandard product. They always seem to be having problem with their machines, now admittedly these people know nothing about technology to begin with (which is why they bought Macs). Also anyone who says PCs aren't stable either has no clue how to work a PC or hasn't used one since before XP came out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Anyone remember the Apple commercials with the Intel logo on the back of a snail? About how sloooooooow an Intel chip was? Hope Intel is getting them back in the pricing arena.

Yeah because everything is static state.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
admittedly these people know nothing about technology to begin with (which is why they bought Macs). Also anyone who says PCs aren't stable either has no clue how to work a PC or hasn't used one since before XP came out.

Yeah, those condescending Unix users like me don't know anything about technology, or the cesspit of viri and spyware that Windows has become.

The MacBook Pro looks like a very good value for the money. I'll probably pick one up at work once they've been out for a month or two.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Intel chips are substandard until Apple decides to use them. Now Apple says Intel is the shiznit

The Apple cult wont bat a fucking eye.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, they switched from a platform that every mac zealot argued for years was superior, to one that is now actually demonstrably second tier (compared to AMD chips).
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I dont care. Its another source of revenue for my company. Now if they could just do something about AMD.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I dont care. Its another source of revenue for my company. Now if they could just do something about AMD.

Come out with a decent gaming processor.  Then you can do something about AMD.  I would gladly change back to intel if they had a product that would compete in that market.  I am an intel fanboy at heart.

You ought to speed up your silicon laser tech and release it allready  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top