Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 5:37:30 PM EDT
I have had a hard on for Xterras for the longest time. I recently started looking for real and plan on selling my z28 for one this summer. So my question to my AR bretheran is how good are they? Especially in the reliability realm. I want a good performer as well but I need something more long term this time since I trade cars every year or so. So let me have it whats the good and bad about these sexy machines......
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
roomie has one military tough I guess have brought it out to a few ranges on ft rich and the roads and conditions are shitty.  But it makes it up there just fine.  He hasn't had a hiccup outa it yet so Im guessing it will continue holding on.  Be careful when you buy.  There prices go up and down by a couple thousand.  I was looking at frontiers and noticed that right after christmas there prices went back up about 3 or 4 thousand bucks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I am sure they are excellent trucks. Nissan makes some of the best trucks next to Toyota. My Pathfinder is perhaps the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Xterra is pretty much a Pathfinder/Frontier. At least they used to be.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am sure they are excellent trucks. Nissan makes some of the best trucks next to Toyota. My Pathfinder is perhaps the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Xterra is pretty much a Pathfinder/Frontier. At least they used to be.

That was my other option. Pathfinders are damn nice too but I like the looks of the Xterra with its curves. How long have you had your pathfinder/miles?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to check the Liberty versus Xterra thread

My friend has an '06 Xterra. I am pretty impressed. He also likes it a lot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
nissan = French
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Might want to check the Liberty versus Xterra thread

My friend has an '06 Xterra. I am pretty impressed. He also likes it a lot.

Thanks for the link. That was another option but I hear they need alot of maintenance. And they seem smaller also.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a brand new 2005 Off-Road 4x4 with a 6 speed in September.

14 states, 28,800 miles later not a hitch.  ~500 miles of that is off pavement.  Built like a tank.

I've had one punctured tire (it patched just fine).  Other than that it's been oil changes and put gas in it.

If something happened to it today, I'd be back at the Nissan dealer tomorrow with insurance check in hand to buy another one.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice xterra.  Well I have yet to hear anything bad about them then. I will defenitely be looking to get one. Has anybody had experience with the 2000-2003 models? I am on a strict budget and dont know if I can afford a new one.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I've put 130,000 miles on mine with no problems.  That includes a lot of off-road/hunting driving.  Trust me, this thing hasn't been a hanger queen and it works.  My only complaint is that the (in the 2002 which I have) you can't shut the back door and lay flat in the back.  I'm 6"1' and it's about 4 inches too short.  Other than that it's the best off-road driver I've had.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bought a brand new 2005 Off-Road 4x4 with a 6 speed in September.

14 states, 28,800 miles later not a hitch.  ~500 miles of that is off pavement.  Built like a tank.

I've had one punctured tire (it patched just fine).  Other than that it's been oil changes and put gas in it.

If something happened to it today, I'd be back at the Nissan dealer tomorrow with insurance check in hand to buy another one.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/DSC09758a.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/DSC00796a.jpg

that is nice.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife got one about a year ago -- a 2002 model with V6 and 2WD.  I have to admit it has been pretty damn good.  I'm tall and a little cramped on long trips (but a Honda Accord is no problem -- go figure).  A wee bit more leg room for the driver would be nice.

Since you're in SD and I'm now in CT and can speak from experience, get the 4WD.

Now if only I could get one with a Cummins engine!  

ETA re: Pathfinders -- my uncle had an early 90's Pathfinder and drove it until the engine just couldn't go any more.  Almost 300,000 miles, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not getting another one (got an '03). Mainly because its french. But also the interior gets dirty too easily, there's no botton I can push that'll keep me from leaving garbage all over the place. Damn shame.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Very nice xterra.  Well I have yet to hear anything bad about them then. I will defenitely be looking to get one. Has anybody had experience with the 2000-2003 models? I am on a strict budget and dont know if I can afford a new one.  

2005 is where they changed A LOT.  Before that you had the wimp 4cyl and the anemic 6.  The 05's and above are a totally different beast with 265hp (285 lb/ft) V6's only.  The gear range on the the older models wasn't too good either since it all was tilted toward the low end to deal with the underpowered engine.  Freeway speeds and you'll be pushing RPM's.  My 2005 runs around 2200 RPM (redline is over 6k) at 75 in 6th and on the other end in 4LOW the it's around 40:1 for creeping.  Rosie O' Doughnuts hogtied and inchworming on the ground could out run me in 4LOW.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The new ones are far better than the old.  Nissan has come a long way the past few years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love a new one but just cant afford it or the insurance since Im still a young pup. I will definately be getting the 4wd. The 265hp is the supercharged new one correct? That would be awesome but insuance would be through the roof. What about mileage? are they pretty good or not? kinda concerned with the whole iran thing.......
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I looked at one this past weekend.  The thing that shied me away was all the damn plastic on the outside, especially in front.  I know, it is an "off-road" vehicle.  However, the first thing I thought was, "Well, you could never, ever wax it."  Sure enough I saw one an hour later in the Target parking lot.  Looked like someone ran it through the wax cycle at the car wash.  '05-'06 XTerra looked like it was 150 years old.  I mean, that damn plastic was ruined.  That IS a consideration if you ever plan to sell it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Motor Trend's SUV of the year.
www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news051025_suvoty/

Yeah, Motor Trend awards still mean something...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I just read off a sticker at the dealer on a 2003 6 cyl 4X4 that it gets 15CMP and 19HMP. Thats pretty shitty mileage
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would love a new one but just cant afford it or the insurance since Im still a young pup. I will definately be getting the 4wd. The 265hp is the supercharged new one correct? That would be awesome but insuance would be through the roof. What about mileage? are they pretty good or not? kinda concerned with the whole iran thing.......

Nope, the new 265hp/4.0 ltr is normally aspirated.

Only engine they offer now.  

Best mileage I've gotten on mine was 23.8.  That was in the high mts of Colorado.

Normal "long distance cruise" freeway, 70-75 runs between 19'ish and 21.

City driving I'll see 15-17mpg.  Maybe a tad lower if I'm hotdogging it a bit.  (the engine/transmission is a very "sporty" combo - couple that with a very quick rack and pinion steering system and you'll sometimes forget it's a real truck)

My insurance (I'm 48, it's registered SoCal, haven't had an accident in years) is about $1,200 a year ($400 more than the 1997 Chrysler minivan I traded in on it).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#22]
The smurf-mobile hath returned

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 2000 XE, automatic.  Good vehicle.  Like any SUV, sloppy in the snow in 2WD.  Paint (silver) has held up well.  Stadium rear seats offer good view, but getting in and out the back door is a little cramped.  Gas mileage is not great.  15-17 city and 19-21 highway, as high as 22.5 in prolonged 55mph cruise.  Underpowered at 170hp.   Plenty of cargo room.  Tiedowns are nice.  I have the waterproof seat covers which after 6 years of parking outside, mostly in southern VA, are showing some wear, but the seats are like new as no ass has touched them directly since January 2000.  

I don't do much off-road, just a drive on the beach every once in a while, but I did make it through a New England winter just fine.  I am happy with mine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The smurf-mobile hath returned

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/RyanJR/IMG_2047.jpg

I just ran accross one that color this morning. Kinda sharp Plus nobody has it

Ill have to get an insurance quote. I would love to get a brand new one and seeing how reliable they seem to be I could keep if for quite awhile. Im 20 with no speeding tickets or other tickets and am an honor roll student in college which also takes it down.  I have however been in 2 claims. One was when my car got keyed and the other I was hit by an uninsured motorist(also a good friend). Otherwise Im clean.

Would you shell out the cash for a new model(would prefer not to get a brand new one since most people say it depreciates a couple thousand right off the lot) or get a used new one or an older model(preferably 03=>)

Also whats the best way to finance it? Through the dealership or a good ol fashin loan from my hometown bank? I have very good credit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top