Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 2:00:49 PM EDT
Went to Baltimore's inner harbor today since I'm in the area for a while. Visited the National Aquarium - awesome exhibit including its new Australian exhibit upstairs. Would have had pics but with all the glassed in areas I had a constant problem with flash.

Also saw the USS Constellation (last all-sail Navy ship commissioned), USS Torsk (WWII submarine). Lightship #116 Chesapeake, and USCG Cutter Taney (Warship 37) which saw combat action during WWII.

Here are some pics from today.

USS Constellation used during the Civil War to ward off Slave Traders and protect US commercial traffic on the high seas.

Helm of the USS Constellation. Assuming this wood is restored.

Cannons Below Deck

Arms Locker

Pantry in Officers Mess on the USS Constellation

Period food that would have been eaten on a Navy ship during the mid-1800's

Lightship #116 Chesapeake used to mark the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay for over 29 years

CGC Tanney which fought in WWII (CG Warship 37)and also participated in Vietnam (note 5 inch gun on bow)

Ammunition Handling Area for 5 Inch Gun on Cutter Tanney

CGC Tanney Armory

USS Torsk, Commissioned on Dec. 16th, 1944 it was the last American naval vessel to sink an enemy warship in WWII

MK27 Torpedo........Very Bling Looking...

Enlisted Berthing

Torpedo Tube on USS Torsk

Galley Kitchen on USS Torsk - yet another example of confined quarters on a submarine

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Galley Kitchen on USS Torsk - yet another example of confined quarters on a submarine
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/m4556mm/000_03471.jpg

Danish butter cookies were WWII USN issue? I learn something new every day!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I either read or overheard on the history channel that the guys on submarines were taken care of a little more in the food aspect of millitary life.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea - I was going to steal 'em and eat them but I figured there had to be hidden cameras somewhere........besides I'm not sure when shortbread goes "bad"..........
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
delete
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
delete
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
delete
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
stop already.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow!  A quadruple tap!

Excellent pics BTW!!  I work right there in that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The pics are nice , but it doesn't do the shi pjustice . It realy is one of those things you have to see in person to truely apreciate .

Does the harbor still smell like a festering shit hole down that way?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The pics are nice , but it doesn't do the shi pjustice . It realy is one of those things you have to see in person to truely apreciate .

I didn't notice any particular smell today. I'm TAD/TDY here and made it a point to visit some of the sights worth actually seeing. Aside from that, I'll probably spend the rest of my time here on the water or sleeping when off duty. Just came from Philadelphia where I saw a bunch of neat stuff there. Neither city is one I'd call my home though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't notice any particular smell today. I'm TAD/TDY here and made it a point to visit some of the sights worth actually seeing. Aside from that, I'll probably spend the rest of my time here on the water or sleeping when off duty. Just came from Philadelphia where I saw a bunch of neat stuff there. Neither city is one I'd call my home though.

Kewl . When I went there the harbor stuck to high heavon . A local said something about a red tide comeing thru so that might of been part of it . Still a lot of "Alternative lifestyle " types in the area?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm TAD/TDY here and made it a point to visit some of the sights worth actually seeing.

If you like trains, you should also see the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum:

www.borail.org/index.shtml

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the pics!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top