Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 3:57:01 PM EDT
Is it proper to address a long retired military officer by his rank?  What does the Military rule book say?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's all personal preferance.  My dad goes by,  Col. A.J.Citizen USAF(ret.)
Most of his buddies do the same, but some dont put anything at all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's proper.
Usually it is done with field-grades and higher (Major on up).
Another nice touch is to address them in the third person:

"Would the Colonel care for another scotch?"

"How is the Admiral feeling today?"

They earned it, and it makes YOU a gentleman, too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What can anyone do send you to the Peacecorpes.[rolleyes]   Let me add here.  Yes it is what I would do.  Who cares about the book!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What can anyone do send you to the Peacecorpes.[rolleyes]
View Quote

No, but it's a nice thing to do.  Like saying Ma'am and Sir.  It's not law, just proper.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Give the man his respect, it is a long standing tradition that retired Marines are addressed by their rank in any social setting unless your are so familiar with them that you call them by their name but they are introduced by their rank and it is a major faux pas to called them Mister.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Aunt who spent 30 years in the U.S. Army. Two tours in Vietnam. Retired as a Full Bull. You bet your ass I refer to her as "The Colonel"...!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Give the man his respect, it is a long standing tradition that retired Marines are addressed by their rank in any social setting unless your are so familiar with them that you call them by their name but they are introduced by their rank and it is a major faux pas to called them Mister.
View Quote

Hell, I had a professor in college who used to be a Sergeant Major in the United States Marine Corps.  After 4 years of duty and 8 years of being a lazy slob, I still felt obligated to call him Sergeant Major.  

It was one of the few classed I felt obliged to give it my all.  Pride has a way of sneaking back up on ya.  Those who gave it a lifetime, deserve no less then some respect when they retire.

Semper Fi
Stealth

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
The Master Sergeant I used to work for retired about a year before I EAS'd. When I got out, he got my resume where it needed to go for me to get hired with the same company he worked for. When I talk to him, I still call him Top. People look at me strange sometimes, but F 'em.

I also sent him a bottle of Gentleman Jack when I got the job.

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top