Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 8:00:42 AM EDT
from:www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~7248~3210216,00.html

UAF outguns Navy

By BOB ELEY

The University of Alaska Fairbanks rifle team continued its hot shooting as it closed out a four-match road trip with a big win over the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.

After posting their best score of the season (4,728) in a win over Army on Thursday at West Point New York, the Nanooks came back to post a 4,716 to 4,650 win over Navy on Friday.

"Things went really well in both matches," UAF coach Dan Jordan said in an e-mail to the News-Miner on Friday evening. "The team shot some great scores and everyone had good things happen. There were a lot of personal bests and world class scores being put up"

The Nanooks registered a score of 2,348 in smallbore and 2,368 in air rifle en route to a dominating victory.

Senior All-American Jamie Beyerle led UAF's smallbore squad on Friday with a 590 out of a possible 600, while junior All-American Matt Rawlings and freshman Matthias Dierolf posted scores of 587. Freshman Christian Lejon notched a 584.  

Junior Ryan Baum and senior Cassie Pinkel shot non-counting scores of 576 and 573.

Dierolf was UAF's top air rifle shooter with a score of 597. while Beyerle and Rawlings notched 592 marks and Lejon registered a 587.

Pinkel registered a 574 and Burma had a 564.

"I thought we shot really well today considering the circumstances--little sleep and a 5-hour drive last night (Thursday)," Jordan said.

Navy had team scores of 2,306 in smallbore and 2,344 in air rifle. Chris Schneider led the Midshipmen in smallbore with a 583, while Sarah Bergman and Lisa Kunzelman both posted 592 scores in air rifle

In Thursday's win over Army, Rawlings led the smallbore team with a 593, followed by Beyerle and Lejon at 590 and Dierolf at 585. Beyerle, Rawlings and Dierolf all had 596 scores in the air rifle match and Lejon registered a 582.

Baum and Pinkel both had 574 scores in the smallbore event, while Pinkel had a 578 and Baum a 577 in smallbore.

"Both days, we shot some great air gun scores," Jordan said. "In smallbore, they have really been working on kneeling and standing and it's starting to pay off."

Sports Editor Bob Eley can be reached at [email protected] , [email protected] or 459-7581.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#1]
hen
cya
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I am shooting a lot of air rifle lately and that is some freaking hard ass stuff.  I shot highpower almost exclusively until this fall when i bought an Anschutz air rifle; the fundamentals apply just the same, but it is a whole different game when a pellet must touch something the size of the dot at the end of this sentence to count as a 10. <---      A 597 is just unbelievable!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats to the UAF team.  My son wants to compete at Perry this year in the small bore competition.  He's going to do that, and I'm going to give either the Garand match or the military bolt-action match a try, haven't decided yet.

Just out of curiosity, does the military or law enforcement try to recruit the guys that post top scores like that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's nice when it's your home team!

cya

How about those Alaskans huh?  
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya tend to get good when you only have one shot before you are bear chow .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top