Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT

Police dog used to obtain warrant

A BART police bomb dog helped police confirm an anonymous tip and then get a search warrant for a Walnut Creek home where they found a cache of illegal weapons and explosives.

The dog, Andy,, and his handler, BART Officer Jason Ledford walked along the sidewalk of the Countrywood neighborhood several times, said Walnut Creek Lt. Steve Skinner.
"Their dogs are trained to alert on certain chemicals and he hit on the house almost immediately, giving the citizen's tip some validity," Skinner said.

Police received the anonymous tip last week that explosives and assault weapons were being stored at a Countrywood Court home, Skinner said. "We can't write a search warrant based on an anonymous tip, so we needed some confirmation," he said.

With Andy's positive detection, near the home's garage door, police obtained a search warrant and served it Friday.

Walnut Creek investigators asked BART for help because BART began cross training the agency's dogs to sniff for explosives after the March 2004 bombings of two passenger trains in Madrid, Spain.

Inside the home, investigators recovered 15 rifles, including a Colt AR-15 and two AK-47s that were illegally modified to be fully automatic, and 10 handguns, including some fitted with illegal extended magazines.

In the garage, detectives found four hand-held explosives filled with gunpowder and lead shot. "It was a fragmentation grenade," Skinner said. "It wouldn't blow up a building, but it would definitely do damage to a person."

Police arrested the homeowner, Ivan Gutzalenko, on suspicion of possession of destructive devices, illegal assault weapons and machine guns, according to a news release. He is being held on $3 million bail at County Jail in Martinez.

Gutzalenko's wife was questioned and released. No children were living in the home, police said.
Skinner said there is no indication that Gutzalenko is affiliated with any foreign or domestic terrorist group. "He has a history of survivalist type of stuff, he thrives on this sort of thing, but there's nothing to suggest he planned to use it," Skinner said.

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/cctimes/news/transportation/13660926.htm?source=rss&channel=cctimes_transportation
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Police dog used to obtain warrant

A BART police bomb dog helped police confirm an anonymous tip and then get a search warrant for a Walnut Creek home where they found a cache of illegal weapons and explosives.

The dog, Andy,, and his handler, BART Officer Jason Ledford walked along the sidewalk of the Countrywood neighborhood several times, said Walnut Creek Lt. Steve Skinner.
"Their dogs are trained to alert on certain chemicals and he hit on the house almost immediately, giving the citizen's tip some validity," Skinner said.

Police received the anonymous tip last week that explosives and assault weapons were being stored at a Countrywood Court home, Skinner said. "We can't write a search warrant based on an anonymous tip, so we needed some confirmation," he said.

With Andy's positive detection, near the home's garage door, police obtained a search warrant and served it Friday.

Walnut Creek investigators asked BART for help because BART began cross training the agency's dogs to sniff for explosives after the March 2004 bombings of two passenger trains in Madrid, Spain.

Inside the home, investigators recovered 15 rifles, including a Colt AR-15 and two AK-47s that were illegally modified to be fully automatic, and 10 handguns, including some fitted with illegal extended magazines.

In the garage, detectives found four hand-held explosives filled with gunpowder and lead shot. "It was a fragmentation grenade," Skinner said. "It wouldn't blow up a building, but it would definitely do damage to a person."

Police arrested the homeowner, Ivan Gutzalenko, on suspicion of possession of destructive devices, illegal assault weapons and machine guns, according to a news release. He is being held on $3 million bail at County Jail in Martinez.

Gutzalenko's wife was questioned and released. No children were living in the home, police said.
Skinner said there is no indication that Gutzalenko is affiliated with any foreign or domestic terrorist group. "He has a history of survivalist type of stuff, he thrives on this sort of thing, but there's nothing to suggest he planned to use it," Skinner said.

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/cctimes/news/transportation/13660926.htm?source=rss&channel=cctimes_transportation

AKs i can believe, but an AR 'illegally' modified for full auto? highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
He probably had a few loose shoe strings stored in the same area as the AK47 clones.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
including some fitted with illegal extended magazines.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Where was this?

ETA -

Contra Costa Times??? Isn't this near San Fran? Questions answered. I believe that this is a dupe as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoe laces in the gunsafe?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shoe laces in the gunsafe?

yep...wait you mean you DONT have shoe strings in YOUR case? Pssh...every cool person has them in theirs. Its cool to have shoe laces in your gun safe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<SNIP>
AKs i can believe, but an AR 'illegally' modified for full auto? highly doubt it.

Damn dude, learn how to snip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I told you guys that professionals prefer Colt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
it is easier to modify an ar than an ak. on an ak you have to drill a hole and cut out part of the lower rail and install parts. vrs an ar besides parts its just a hole, but eithe can be done ine 20 with the right parts and equipment
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]

What was this guys screenname?

Department of pre-crime strikes again.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I told you guys that professionals criminals prefer Colt. drink the Colt kool-aid

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the illegal magazine charge...Kalifornia...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like Dudley Dooright neighbor just fucked over someone who never harmed anyone.  Hooray.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I bet the police report all illegally imported FA guns as illegally modified too
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Police train dog to bark and get a warant... yay
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Police train dog to bark and get a warant... yay

Yeah, you like that, too?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
it is easier to modify an ar than an ak. on an ak you have to drill a hole and cut out part of the lower rail and install parts. vrs an ar besides parts its just a hole, but eithe can be done ine 20 with the right parts and equipment

Nah, all you have to do is file the firing pin
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#18]
So...I guess me and the rest of the SF regulars better be careful.
Apparently being prepared is now probable cause.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not at all. Goading the dog into barking is PC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
It's all about "intent" and how they interpet "intent"

And at the end of the day this guy is fucked
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#21]
IIRC the USSC said that persons have no reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to odors that emanate from their residence or vehicle. Thus it allows the use of a police detection dog in order to establish probable cause for the search warrant. The neighbor gave the police the "reasonable suspicion" in the form of the tip that enabled the use of the dog.

I dont like it at all but it is what the USSC has ruled and until it gets overturned it is caselaw which can be considered "precedent setting".
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone with 10 minutes and a clue can make a semi-auto AR run fully automatic. The only problem is that you run the risk of it firing out of battery, though the risk is relatively small.

And yes, it is easier to make an AR full-auto than an AK, as a previous poster stated.

Personally if the guy was violating laws by making homemade pipe bombs with fragmentation inside, as well as storing several illegal F/A rifles, he shoudl go to jail. I can see homemade bombs for the 4th of july, but this was more than that.

Another moron giving law abiding gun owners a bad name.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all. Goading the dog into barking is PC.

My mistake.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Anyone with 10 minutes and a clue can make a semi-auto AR run fully automatic. The only problem is that you run the risk of it firing out of battery, though the risk is relatively small.

And yes, it is easier to make an AR full-auto than an AK, as a previous poster stated.

Personally if the guy was violating laws by making homemade pipe bombs with fragmentation inside, as well as storing several illegal F/A rifles, he shoudl go to jail. I can see homemade bombs for the 4th of july, but this was more than that.

Another moron giving law abiding gun owners a bad name.

- rem

All you need is a rubber band and a paperclip to alter an AKs use, in all seriousness. Yall are talking about "proper" ways. and the ar i would think would be a lot easier to mess up, and blow the reciever when it fires out of sink.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend of mine made his AK fire full auto with a pair of TWEEZERS.  He could only fire full mags at a time, but it was full auto.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top