Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:22:47 PM EDT
For some reason my 48x12x48x CD-RW drive has begun to mistake blank CD-R discs for CD-RW discs. I noticed this because it will only burn at 12x- the maximum speed of a CD-RW burn session. Needless to say, this is highly annoying. It happens in Windows XP and in linux.

What the heck is causing this? I haven't made any BIOS or software changes. It just started happening tonight.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:23:59 PM EDT
Did you just change brands ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:04:51 PM EDT
Same thing happened to me, or I thought so.
It turned out that I had bought CD-RWs which were packaged in CD-R wrappings.

Maybe the same happened to you
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:30:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ATNT:
Same thing happened to me, or I thought so.
It turned out that I had bought CD-RWs which were packaged in CD-R wrappings.

Maybe the same happened to you

I didn't change brands, but I did buy a new spindle of Verbatim CD-R discs. They are labeled as CD-R discs on the spindle container and on the top of the discs. How am I to avoid mislabled discs? I bought these a long time ago, so taking them back is out of the question. This sucks.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:47:06 PM EDT
Update: I emailed Verbatim about the defective discs. They told me I had to send in the defective media to their testing lab in Charlotte, NC. I assume this means I won't have to send in the whole spindle. Doing so would probably cost almost as much as I paid for them.

What a pile of BS. One would think they know they have a massive load of defective CD-R discs floating around.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:24:42 PM EDT
Seems like if you wanted to see if they were actually RW you could try erasing and re-writing one and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:38:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 199:
Seems like if you wanted to see if they were actually RW you could try erasing and re-writing one and see what happens.

True. I overlooked that. I'll try it ASAP. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:09:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Galland:
Update: I emailed Verbatim about the defective discs. They told me I had to send in the defective media to their testing lab in Charlotte, NC. I assume this means I won't have to send in the whole spindle. Doing so would probably cost almost as much as I paid for them.

What a pile of BS. One would think they know they have a massive load of defective CD-R discs floating around.

Galland

It's obvious the company is not looking forward to having replace a bunch of CDs, and are replacing them only when people complain. They probably know that they mis-packaged/labeled a quantity of them.
Top Top