Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:16:08 PM EDT
I must be behind the times. When did they start wearing the Hockey/LaCrosse helmets?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Shortly after they started wearing flak jackets.

If someone had shown up at our buck-outs with that gear, he'd have been laughed out of the arena.

Of course, we'd have been laughing at him with fewer teeth than God originally gave us...........
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It's part of the seatbelt law. If you can get footage from the locker room, you'll see that they're all wearing condoms, too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
yee haw
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Rodeo

I'm not going to ask how you found that site.
ETA: Gay or not they are braver than I for riding a bull
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yee haw

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Only a couple of them wear the helmets and they are usually the younger guys that are athletically skilled and ride bulls for the money and bucklebunnies.  You show up with one at most rodeos and you'll get laughed out.  As far as the vests go, Many riders, including Lane Frost, would still be alive if they'd been made mandatory sooner.  When I quit bulldoggin and roping they weren't mandatory at the local rodeos but everybody wore them that rode bulls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
They don't all wear the hockey lid and mask. I know one guy was wearing one because he had recieved some serious facial injuries.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Bull riding=a sport where your opponent actually wants to fucking kill you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know, the helmet may become a trend.
Remember the bad old days when no one in the NHL wore a helmet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Kind of like this guy.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Only a couple of them wear the helmets and they are usually the younger guys that are athletically skilled and ride bulls for the money and bucklebunnies.  You show up with one at most rodeos and you'll get laughed out.  As far as the vests go, Many riders, including Lane Frost, would still be alive if they'd been made mandatory sooner.  When I quit bulldoggin and roping they weren't mandatory at the local rodeos but everybody wore them that rode bulls.

You have led quite an interesting life.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have led quite an interesting life.

You writing a book on it? Bull doggin an ropin are nuthin to be braggin about.  Basically it's for those of us that wanted the pie associated with rodeo but were to damn big to ride bulls lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
To be honest, I have no idea how the hell I found that site...some friend of mine pointed it out to me a long time ago.

Once you find a gay rodeo site, it's pretty tough to forget about it.  Kinda like a bad ABBA song.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rodeo

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
To be honest, I have no idea how the hell I found that site...some friend of mine pointed it out to me a long time ago.

Once you find a gay rodeo site, it's pretty tough to forget about it.  Kinda like a bad ABBA song.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rodeo

That implies there were good ABBA songs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Basically it's for those of us that wanted the pie associated with rodeo but were to damn big to ride bulls lol.

Amen my brother....amen!

Money getting big enough for some of the BPR guys that they will do anything that will help them get on another bull. Facial fractures and broken jaws or concussions don't slow these guys down much anymore but it should.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like this guy.  

nhl.speedera.net/image-upload/howe_gordie_det.jpg

I remember when only a few goalies wore  face masks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like this guy.  

I sure do remember the days.  If Keith Magnuson wasn't spitting teeth, it meant that he broke his jaw and had it wired shut.   My tribute to Keith.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I think they started wearing stuff like that when "Bodacious"started stomping the guts out of everyone with the balls to get on his back.  That bull was evil incarnate, sure miss watchin him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like this guy.  

I can't remember any goalies without a facemask!!! Holy crap
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah...
I'm going to have to keep quiet regarding that one.

I don't need to get ass kicked by some old fart.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like this guy.  

Here ya go, Ole Terry Sawchuk "Scarface".  That big scar IIRC,  is from taking a Bobby Hull slapshot off the face.   For those who don't know, Bobby Hull's slapshot was clocked at 117 mph.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually, helmets in bull riding are becoming alot more popular. I've seen guys using helmets at all the rodeos I have been to in the last year.  Alot of the younger guys are wearing them, I think in part because High School rodeo requires it and as guys move up the line they keep their helmets. I think it has a lot to due with person preferance. I don't use one but the two guys I travel with do. My decision came to down to two reasons. 1. I'm old school and I like cowboy hats.
2. I always thought that looking out of a helmet would make me think about getting hurt and thus hurt my mental game which is a huge part of bull riding. I'll also be the first to admit that I am a total idiot for not wearing one.

Frankly, I have never seen a bull rider make fun of another bull rider for wearing a helmet - that comes from the arm chair quarterbacks that never set foot in the arena. The riders I have spoken to all agree that anything that helps the protect the rider (within reason) is a good idea. Every time you climb into the chute you are flirting with disaster and busting your face isn't all that much fun, wearing a helmet doesn't make you any less of a man. It makes you a touch smarter than the rest of us.
Matt
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Basically it's for those of us that wanted the pie associated with rodeo but were to damn big to ride bulls lol.

Amen my brother....amen!

Money getting big enough for some of the BPR guys that they will do anything that will help them get on another bull. Facial fractures and broken jaws or concussions don't slow these guys down much anymore but it should.

Yeah people don't realize how bad fucked up a lot of those guys are.  Tuff Hedeman pretty much has skin stretched over steel and titanium on his face, and Rob Smets (bullfighter, don't call him a clown, he'll beat you) can't turn his damn head he has to turn his entire body.  The list goes on and on and on The PBR website has a ticker that lists all the riding injuries and it just keeps going and going and going before you ever see the first guy again.  It's more dangerous than most think, and most think it's pretty damn dangerous.  To me, Love for your sport is shown no where else like it is in Rodeo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top