Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:34:07 AM EDT
I need one of those cheap laser pointers. Preferably one that is fairly short, uses common batteries (AA or AAA), and is inexpensive.

Application: I want to chuck it up in my drill press, tape the switch down, and use the beam to align what I want to drill. Once aligned, I can clamp everything down, replace the pen with a bit and viola! Easy and accurate drilling!

I'm looking for something in the 10 to 20 dollar range so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:36:08 AM EDT
walmart would probably have one, I see cheapies sold at convienience stores pretty regularly
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:36:38 AM EDT
Radio Shack has several models for less than $20. And you buy online just go to their site.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:48:03 AM EDT
Go to Wal-Mart and spend $20 for one of their "air pistol" lasers--it's got a on-off switch (pressure-pad screws in place of the on-off switch) a base with screw holes you can mount it with and it's already got X-Y adjustment built in it too...
~
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:57:02 AM EDT
Why not just lower the bit down gently to see where it's going to hit?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:03:52 AM EDT
I have one of the Radio Shack jobs that I use to play with my cats. I just measured the barrel and it is 0.495". Be sure your chuck is big enough before you buy one. Also, I'd be very carefull when chucking the laser, it is very thin aluminum and it won't take much to screw it up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:08:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:
Why not just lower the bit down gently to see where it's going to hit?

Hard to see where it touches if you're drilling in a deep mortis. Like the shoulder on a PG...
Top Top