Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 7:13:11 AM EDT
I dont know if this has been brought up before im pretty sure it has.....But having a CCW is a good way for the Gov to know who has guns and who might train with guns....Its a loophole for gun registration...what says you???
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
so is the 4473, so is any time you get pulled over with a firearm and the cop runs the serial,
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I dont know if this has been brought up before im pretty sure it has.....But having a CCW is a good way for the Gov to know who has guns and who might train with guns....Its a loophole for gun registration...what says you???

the guns are not listed on any CCW forms.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so is the 4473, so is any time you get pulled over with a firearm and the cop runs the serial,

When I see a gun in a traffic stop if I have no reason ot belive its might be stolen I dont run it....but I know some cops that do...but ive never heard of a record bekept for a 29 check on a weapon...Not saying it isnt so just sayin...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the guns are not listed on any CCW forms.

I know no weapons are listed but they have a record of non-leo/non-military that own guns cause who is going to get a CCW and not own a firearm....kinda like a database map (that while not listing weapons) says on this street of houses numbered 1-10 houses 2,3,7, and 9 have residents with weapons????
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I see a gun in a traffic stop if I have no reason ot belive its might be stolen I dont run it....but I know some cops that do...but ive never heard of a record bekept for a 29 check on a weapon...Not saying it isnt so just sayin...

I'm also "registered" with the VA and the DOD has a copy of my DD214, so I'm kinda screwed anyway if "they" ever want to round up those with weapons training
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Not really - they can't really do anything with it because they don't know how many guns a CCW holder has - or if they even have any guns at all. And of course, a lot of people with guns never get CCWs.

If they went on confiscation trips to CCW holders, you could just say you sold all of your guns, or give them some worthless POS and say that's all that you had. They couldn't prove you wrong either way, and they couldn't get you for not having guns that you're supposed to have.

That's the trick with real gun registration, like with NFA weapons. It's registered to you, and if you move or sell it, you have to keep them up to date on what you've done with it, or else you're a criminal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not really - they can't really do anything with it because they don't know how many guns a CCW holder has - or if they even have any guns at all. And of course, a lot of people with guns never get CCWs.

If they went on confiscation trips to CCW holders, you could just say you sold all of your guns, or give them some worthless POS and say that's all that you had. They couldn't prove you wrong either way, and they couldn't get you for not having guns that you're supposed to have.

That's the trick with real gun registration, like with NFA weapons. It's registered to you, and if you move or sell it, you have to keep them up to date on what you've done with it, or else you're a criminal.

Ok but in a real world situation if it got that bad...they might not be after the guns but after you.....cause you like evil guns and wanted to be armed...a way for the government to weed out the non-sheeple who wont conform to the "NORMAL HEALTHY" way of thinking
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#8]
As Fourays2 stated "my guns are not listed on any CCW forms".
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
In Las Vegas (Clark County) Nevada, each carry gun IS listed on the CCW permit. This has made me hold back getting my CCW, although I may soon  relent and get a compact sidearm specifically for carry. Very conflicting feelings on this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
In NY, you have to have a permit to merely possess a pistol, and each pistol you may own/carry is listed by serial number on your permit. So, at least at the county level, they have a list of what you own.

I can't wait to leave, when I retire next year!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on ccw and 4473 form
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Here in Indiana we have no gun registration.  To get a license to carry you do not list any weapons you own.  The only records about what guns you own would be the ones filled out when it is purchased.  I prefer to have concealed carry licenses because it gives us one more charge to tack on to scumbags when they rob or shoot people.  

I know there are a lot of cop bashers on here but believe it or not there are many LEO's who do enforce the law with common sense.  I strongly encourage everyone here (non scumbags) to get a license and carry concealed.  I have given warnings to many people that I've found to be carrying without a license and I've given them instructions on how to get one.

If the bad guys know that most people are armed, they'll hesitate to do something ignorant which results in fewer victims of violent crime.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In NY, you have to have a permit to merely possess a pistol, and each pistol you may own/carry is listed by serial number on your permit. So, at least at the county level, they have a list of what you own.

Come on down to Florida...one more NY'er won't hurt!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

CCW can be an ASP. It does not maen its a guna nd they dont make you assign a gun to it.

Well here in the free States they dont.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Has nothing to do with the 4473. Only if the gun was ever called in stolen can they find out. Other than that its on paper at the dealer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on down to Florida...one more NY'er won't hurt!

Thanks for the offer!! Can I stay in your living room??  The guns take up more room than the kids or I do!  

j/k'ing!!

But, I've already made plans and have a home to return to in Washington State.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#17]
What happens to 4473s when a dealer goes out of business?  It's my understanding that all of those records are turned over to the ATF, but what do they do with them, just stick the box in a warehouse or do they go through them and catalog them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top