Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/20/2006 8:18:43 PM EDT
Blog type rant. So my 21st is coming up and for most people a pretty big deal. I had a few things I really wanted to do. Huge semi annual gun show this weekend. Was saving cash up for that. Then I wanted to have a party with a bunch of friends that I haven't seen in a while. Everything was going to be great. First blow came when I lost my phone a little over a week ago. Been searching ever since but to no avail. Now I only know a couple friend's numbers by heart and am unable to contact 90% of the people I wanted to hang out with. Unfortunately I have a couple different groups of friends and the ones I do know the numbers for don't know of people's numbers. I also rarely ever see some of my friends that I really wanted to come.

Then another hit comes when I can't get the weekend off from work. Only Sunday. So now I have the option of waking up early and driving 4 hours round trip to the gunshow, coming back before work and doing that til midnight, then head to a small party my g/f is gonna have for me, hopefully still functional.

Then tonight the g/f comes home all excited about possibly going to Seattle this spring. Apparently her friend said he was going up and invited us. Now she's the type to get excited about everything and is willing to do anything at the drop of the hat if she likes it. I'm more realistic and explain to her that staying there for 1.5 weeks is gonna break the bank and may conflict with summer classes. So now she's depressed which just makes me more depressed and made me come post all this crap.

So now my plans consist of waking up tomorrow and going to some farmers market with the g/f and her friend who apparently just found out he's bisexual (why cound't it be a 'she' instead of a 'he') and then drinking with some buddies while watching football on Sunday.

Happy birthday to me
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:50 PM EDT
Cheer up Skippy!

Its all downhill from 21.

Happy Birthday!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:23:39 PM EDT
Listen young one, no one can make yhou happy except yourself.

Tell your right hand this, so it will be a good lover.

I don't even remember my 21st Bday. You will not miss much

I do regret being told I was grinding with two hot blonds that night but I don't remember banging either

Go buy a pistol b/c you can. Apply for your CCW. Ignore your GF, 99% chance you will not keep her for marriage so young.

If you don't know friends numbers then they are not real friends.

90% of the time you go to a bar ALONE you will score more than if you go in a pack. Try it.

Happy Bday. Remained focused on building your own assets (eduction and money) because now you are a MAN, act like it. If in school go to class, do what it takes to get A's and save your money. No bitch is worth wasting your cash. Neither is any gun unless you can afford it
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:26:12 PM EDT
Suck it up kid. I stopped making a big deal out of my birthday when I was 11.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:26:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drewucf:
Blog type rant. So my 21st is coming up and for most people a pretty big deal. I had a few things I really wanted to do. Huge semi annual gun show this weekend. Was saving cash up for that. Then I wanted to have a party with a bunch of friends that I haven't seen in a while. Everything was going to be great. First blow came when I lost my phone a little over a week ago. Been searching ever since but to no avail. Now I only know a couple friend's numbers by heart and am unable to contact 90% of the people I wanted to hang out with. Unfortunately I have a couple different groups of friends and the ones I do know the numbers for don't know of people's numbers. I also rarely ever see some of my friends that I really wanted to come.

Then another hit comes when I can't get the weekend off from work. Only Sunday. So now I have the option of waking up early and driving 4 hours round trip to the gunshow, coming back before work and doing that til midnight, then head to a small party my g/f is gonna have for me, hopefully still functional.

Then tonight the g/f comes home all excited about possibly going to Seattle this spring. Apparently her friend said he was going up and invited us. Now she's the type to get excited about everything and is willing to do anything at the drop of the hat if she likes it. I'm more realistic and explain to her that staying there for 1.5 weeks is gonna break the bank and may conflict with summer classes. So now she's depressed which just makes me more depressed and made me come post all this crap.

So now my plans consist of waking up tomorrow and going to some farmers market with the g/f and her friend who apparently just found out he's bisexual (why cound't it be a 'she' instead of a 'he') and then drinking with some buddies while watching football on Sunday.

Happy birthday to me

Yea, man.
You have major problems.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:27:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:

I do regret being told I was grinding with two hot blonds that night but I don't remember banging either

Go buy a pistol b/c you can. Apply for your CCW. Ignore your GF, 99% chance you will not keep her for marriage so young.

90% of the time you go to a bar ALONE you will score more than if you go in a pack. Try it.

Happy Bday. Remained focused on building your own assets (eduction and money) because now you are a MAN, act like it. If in school go to class, do what it takes to get A's and save your money. No bitch is worth wasting your cash. Neither is any gun unless you can afford it

What words of wisdom. I shall take them to heart. Except for the friends part. I barely remember my mother's number if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:06 PM EDT
I had a neighbor that was in a german prison camp in WWII. When he was liberated by the Americans, he had only the clothes on his back, a blanket from the GI's, and a little bit of money for train fare to get back to his family in a different country. The cost of train tickets kept rising along the way and he ran out of money. He only made it back because other passengers stepped in to help him.

Now why is your life so terrible again?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:30:03 PM EDT
+1. sounds like you need to man up. Not a kid anymore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:30:49 PM EDT
HANDGUNS.

CCW.

NFA STUFF.

QUIT COMPLAINING.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:31:00 PM EDT
Wait till you get to your 51st birthday, like I did last year.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:31:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
+1. sounds like you need to man up. Not a kid anymore.

Manning up means you are the Alpha male.

Chicks dig the alpha male
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:32:11 PM EDT

What words of wisdom. I shall take them to heart. Except for the friends part. I barely remember my mother's number if that tells you anything.

there's plenty of online phonebooks you can use, unless all your friends only have cell phones and not landlines...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 8:34:42 PM EDT by www-glock19-com]
Drama
got get handgun and a CCW you'll feel better
keep the booze to as minimum its just gets ya stuck on stupid with serious repercussions
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:34:05 PM EDT
my 21st was kinda lame too, its ok, life isnt about getting to ride the pony and being the special boy. Make time to do things you care about anyways, you'll make a way to compromise between your obligations and desires. Missing the big gun show probably is going to be ok, they usually turn out dissappointing anyways. Girls come and go, even if you don't believe me now, you'll understand eventually. She'll take care of herself, and you'll take care of you. Take the advice of the preceeding posts, get yourself a permit and a gun, enjoy a quiet night out with the friends you can get ahold of, and be thankful you're alive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:35:34 PM EDT
oh yea, ditch the bitch for giving you a guilt trip.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:36:56 PM EDT
Heh I knew I was gonna catch a bunch of crap saying to man up and comparing me to others worse off. I didn't say my life sucks, just mentioned how my plans went to shit and it sucks. The way I figure it is if I can survive after opening up or complain about stuff in the GD, then I've got nothing to fear and can handle anything
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:38:03 PM EDT
is this serious?

if so,

life is what you make of it, so stfu
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 8:41:46 PM EDT by LonePathfinder]

Heh I knew I was gonna catch a bunch of crap saying to man up and comparing me to others worse off. I didn't say my life sucks, just mentioned how my plans went to shit and it sucks. The way I figure it is if I can survive after opening up or complain about stuff in the GD, then I've got nothing to fear and can handle anything

Go buy some whiskey, buy your fav music CD (Johnny cash seems cool) light a fire outside. Sit by the fire and drink the whiskey and listen to the music.

Good times I find.

Fuck people, you are THE man. People are below you. Once you have the attitude you are better than everyone else, you will succeed.

What was that line from HBO's Rome?

"It’s only Hubris if we fail Cato"

Don't fail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:40:58 PM EDT
Dont feel bad, I ended up in the drunk tank on mine. Its funny now but 20 plus years ago it was not a fun day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:44:13 PM EDT
Screw the gunshow. You don't want to go see overpriced pre-bans and beanie babies anyway.

Apply for CCW.

Spend a couple hours on the EE here and at other boards. Much better chance of getting a good deal than a gun show. Smaller crowd too.

If you still need the musty smell and SEAL Team 6 stories then drop by your local gun or surplus store.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:44:33 PM EDT
You will only have one 21st B-day. It signifies the end of the only part of your life really worth living. Most everything ahead is just suckness. The last day of the best time of your life, and you are going to spend it working and looking at vegetables with some queerio, instead of livin' it up with those friends that were with you during these best years and being surrounded by firearms with a newfound ability to buy anything you want. I'd be a bit depressed too.

Helpful, ain't I?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:48:20 PM EDT
It's because you've hit another milestone on the long road to death.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:48:32 PM EDT
Alright keep them coming. Heading out for the night so don't say anything too bad since I can't defend myself. Gonna go get me some pie...

and then maybe get laid too
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:51:21 PM EDT
Hey, you could be spending your 21st b day on a weeks worth of post guard duty in Ft Carson Colorado like I got stuck doing. That kinda ruined my plans too at the time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:02:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:
It's because you've hit another milestone on the long road to death.

70.86.201.113/imageserv2/temporary/PBF048BCTodayismyBirthday.jpg

LOL love that cartoonist. Ive seen his site before - has some great stuff.

To the poster...

Im sorry, all I saw when I read your post was "wah wah wah wah". And I dont speak wah.

Christ - work sucks, you lost your phone, and your woman wants to spend your money. That, sir, is life. If you let little shit like that bug you, then you are in for a rough life.

On the uptick, you are 21, so now you can go wallow in your own dispair with a good Scotch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:35:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 6:37:33 AM EDT by warhorse]
Alot of good advise here. Its up to you to use it wisely. After I turned 21 it seemed everything sped up two fold. Friends get married, have babies, then you never see them. I'm 34 now with two kids, wish I would have listened to all the advise I got. Now I find myself telling my two sons the same things my Pop was trying to tell me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:42:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:42:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 6:50:03 AM EDT by pv74]
Dude, you are only 21 years old....

Cheer the hell up...

Stay in school and keep the GPA up...

Enjoy your youth while it lasts...

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:50:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warhorse:
Alot of good advise here. Its up to you to use it wisely. After I turned 21 it seemed everything sped up two fold. Friends get married, have babies, then you never see them. I'm 34 now with two kids, wish I would have listened to all the advise I got. Now I find myself telling my two sons the same things my Pop was trying to tell me.

What he said!
Stop whining.Life is what YOU make of it.And enjoy it now.It goes by too damn fast.Dave
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:53:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Noname:
Yep you got it rough kid...

+1

You have more opportunities right now than 90% of the world...

Think of the people who would die to come to the USA for the chance at an opportunity for a good life.

You owe it to them...seriously...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:27:21 AM EDT
I'm going to the funeral of a 23 year old employee of mine that escaped from a treatment facility, got a hotel room and opened her carotid artery. Yes, your 21st birthday is shaping up to be a mundane affair, but try to keep things in perspective here. Every previous post offers the best of advice to you and my only addition would be for you to temper your expectations about such things as birthdays- some will be good, some will be bad and some will be ugly. At 21 years old, the world really is your oyster- anything and everything is possible! Enjoy!

Harp
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:33:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:

After awhile it's just another day. Celebrating your annual orbital position in the earth's passage around the sun aways struck me as odd. Just like we oddly celebrate other odd things like numbers with zeros in them and how we measure things way too much with time rather than ability and accomplishment.

Celebrate 21 years traveling around the sun whenever you feel like it.

+1!!!

i've been saying the same thing for years - so good to hear someone else preachin' the truth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:51:13 PM EDT

I don't know any of my friends' numbers by heart.

Hell, I don't even know my parents' number by heart.

Dang, I can't even remember my OWN number sometimes.

Could be worse. I spent my 21st birthday in Saudi Arabia. In a metal guard tower. For 12 hours. In the summer. Looking at a lot of nothing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:53:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mister44:
LOL love that cartoonist. Ive seen his site before - has some great stuff.

What cartoonist is that?
Top Top