Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 3:05:33 PM EDT
Found this

Too good to be true? $0.10/per song or $0.99/PER ALBUM. There has got to be a catch or something. Anybody have any experience with this site? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:08:26 PM EDT
at those prices, it's likely illegal / unlicensed.

So you'd be dealing with crooks. Are you going to be giving them your credit card number to pay?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 3:11:17 PM EDT by BIKECOP29]

Originally Posted By bastiat:

So you'd be dealing with crooks. Are you going to be giving them your credit card number to pay?

I believe they want payment in the form of a credit card.

ETA: You use our credit card to "charge" your account with them. As you download songs/albums, they deduct the difference from your account.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:15:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:

ETA: You use our credit card to "charge" your account with them. As you download songs/albums, they deduct the difference from your account.

Either way, they have your credit card info.

There's almost no way those prices are for legal downloads.

So you're likley giving your credit card number to an individual or a group of individuals who have already shown a willingness to break the law.

That should be a sign.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:17:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:

Either way, they have your credit card info.

There's almost no way those prices are for legal downloads.

So you're likley giving your credit card number to an individual or a group of individuals who have already shown a willingness to break the law.

That should be a sign.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Guess I'll stick with MusicMatch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:25:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:25:37 PM EDT
That's like another site I've gone to, mp3search.ru. It's just not legit, the record companies don't get their cut. I guess the sites aren't in the U.S., so they can't do anything. The mp3's are fine, though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:27:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:

It's based in Russia and there are no copyright laws there IIRC.

ANdy

Even more of a reason not to give them your CC info.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
I was thinking it might be legal until I read this on their site:

All materials on the MP3SUGAR.COM site are provided for distribution over the Internet in accordance with the license LS-3M-05-137 issued by the "Russian Organization on Collective Management of Rights of Authors and Other Rightholders in Multimedia, Digital Networks & Visual Arts" (ROMS). As stipulated by the license, "X-Media" makes due payments for all the materials covered by the the Russian Federal Act on Copyright and Related Rights. All the materials are provided for personal use only, their redistribution, sale, circulation over the radio, TV or cable networks being strictly prohibited.

All trademarks, brand names, corporate names, logos, slogans and other copyrighted materials appearing on the site remain property of their owners.. You are not allowed to copy, distribute and use them without written permission of their proprietors.

The site's administration is unable to control its users. It is the user, who is fully liable for the use and distribution of all the materials received from the MP3SUGAR.COM site according to the laws of the country where s/he resides.

Personally i wouldnt be in fear of credit card theft... the site doesn't look like a scam from what I can tell. Not to mention, you can easily call your credit card company and make sure a certain vendor does not over charge, etc. Just give them a heads-up. Dont use a bank-backed debit card or anything, just a standard CC.

It does seem though that they are pirating, selling songs and albums without actually paying for them.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:33:35 PM EDT
What, Limewire quit working?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:42:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 3:43:46 PM EDT by JB69]
Russian site...... Pretty much anything's 'legal' there.......

I'm guessing international copyright laws don't apply.

ETA: yeah..... What andy said
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:48:30 PM EDT
i've been using www.allofmp3.com/ for over a year without any problems. they have cd quality mp3s for about $.14.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:16:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By netwt12:
i've been using www.allofmp3.com/ for over a year without any problems. they have cd quality mp3s for about $.14.

I didn't read the fine print like you other guys did and didn't realize the site is based in Russia.
Netwt12, thanks for the link. Seems like your site is based in Russia too based on the privacy info. Guess copyright laws are non-existent over in Russia. Now, if they would give away AKs with downloads.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:22:18 PM EDT
allofmp3 user here as well.

Very good site, although they dont always have what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:27:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By netwt12:

+1, I've been using them for over a year as well. No problems other than their selections are kinda limited....I listed to some "not so common" stuff. Other than that, I think they're great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:29:25 AM EDT
I really think you'd all be better off taking the risks downloading free MP3's from the P2P sources like SoulSeek than doing this.

Firstly what these sites are selling isn't legal in many other countries, and the true copyright hlders aren't getting a dime. So as far as the RIAA is concerned, it's just as if you had pirated it any other way. You can mail-order wacky weed from Amsterdam, but if you're in the US you will still be liable for arrest for receiving it--the fact that it is legal to sell where it is "sold" doesn't protect you wherever YOU are.

Secondly....

a HUGE amount of credit-card theft gets traced into Russia and never resolved beyond that. If you have given your CC# to any of these companies and think that "they can't just put charges for nothing on it", you are quite misinformed. A lot of people there have gotten fairly wealthy by knowing how to do just that. It would be WISE to cancel your card now and get a new one, with a different number. My bet is that at some point, this music website will shut down, the people operating it will become unfindable and unauthorized charges for $9.99 will begin to appear on all the CC#'s they have managed to collect.
~
Top Top