BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 1:04:57 PM EDT
----------------------------------------------------------

Residents hand over dozens of guns before amnesty begins  
Last updated Jan 20 2006 04:45 PM EST
CBC News

Ottawa city's gun amnesty hasn't even begun, but police have already raked in dozens of firearms.

Firearms collected by police since the beginning of January

So far, police have collected 43 guns since the city announced plans to host the amnesty on Jan. 5 as part of a larger strategy to reduce gun crime in the city.

FROM JAN. 6, 2006: City announces plan to fight gun violence
Police showed off part of their haul to media Friday morning.

One-third of the guns collected were missing essential working parts, and most were several decades old.(How many boating accidents happend?)

Staff Sgt. Mike Callaghan displayed a few of the more interesting finds, such as the only semi-automatic pistol in the haul, an 80-year-old German Walther .380, a rusty antique breechloader from the 19th century, and two old-style revolvers of the "Saturday night special" design.

They also raked in a number of shotguns, hunting rifles and BB guns.

While Staff Sgt. Mike Callaghan says police were never under the illusion that criminals would hand over their high-powered weapons, but says it's still useful to collect the unwanted guns.

"It provides the opportunity for the community to turn in these unwanted firearms, reducing the potential of a break-and-enter occurring and these firearms being stolen." ()

All guns will be checked by forensics at a police evidence facility in the city's south end to determine whether they were used in any known crimes.

Any firearms with historical value will be offered to museums, and the rest destroyed.

The gun amnesty program officially begins next Wednesday, Jan. 25.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If people don't want guns, or don't want to know how to use them, they should know better than to have them.  Leave that to the rest of us.  I don't really care.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
While Staff Sgt. Mike Callaghan says police were never under the illusion that criminals would hand over their high-powered weapons, but says it's still useful to collect the unwanted guns.

High power huh? The guns in those pictures are way more powerful than a tec-9 or .223 rifle, fucking retard Canadians.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]

All guns will be checked by forensics at a police evidence facility in the city's south end to determine whether they were used in any known crimes.

What a waste of money.  What dumb-ass would turn a gun into the police that was used in a criminal act?  Better check that breech loader and the bb guns, too
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand.  What amnesty?  Are guns completely banned in Ottowa?  Whats the backstory to this?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]

bb guns???
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't understand.  What amnesty?  Are guns completely banned in Ottowa?  Whats the backstory to this?

I'm not certain if the turn in is connected, but there have been a couple of high profile firearms thefts from Canadian gun collectors and the Canadian Prime Minister is calling for a nationwide handgun ban.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not certain if the turn in is connected, but there have been a couple of high profile firearms thefts from Canadian gun collectors and the Canadian Prime Minister is calling for a nationwide handgun ban.

Of course!
If a criminal steals something - just ban it!
Wha-la; no more crimes of that nature.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
So, the criminals won't disarm, the police know it, but find it useful to disarm the good folk?  What an @$$hole!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That's exactly the kind of firearms they would get from me if they came knocking on my door for confiscation.  The rest would be in a secure location.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh wait I must be the first, Bans work to get the criminal to hand in their guns.

Or let me add their ideas are total                      
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The Sheep of the great white north bow down and lick the boots of tyranny once again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Let them disarm themselves.  They will be easier to assimilate when the time comes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
STUPID BASTARDS

Their grandchildren will curse the mention of their name
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Canadians better grow a pair and tell your leaders:
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's exactly the kind of firearms they would get from me if they came knocking on my door for confiscation.  The rest would be in a secure location.

Riiiiight.
You would have your kittens stomped, your dogs shot, your wife would miscarry, and your house would be burned down around your ears if it came to confiscation, and you were stupid enough to be in your house when they came knocking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]
If you think that retarded shit like this can't happen in the U.S.A., think again.

Reason #36 to join the NRA right now, no matter how much you think that the NRA sucks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Canadians better grow a pair and tell your leaders:
www.forumspile.com/Stupid-Dogbert.jpg

Wow I haven't seen that in awhile.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

bb guns???

"If it saves just one child's life, then the loss of our civil liberties will be worth it."

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
----------------------------------------------------------

After they are done, even the Phrench could take Canada.

* I Hereby propose that Canada's name be officially changed to "Whimpia" *

What an embarrassment for a neighbor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

bb guns???

if i'm not mistaken, most bb guns are considered firearms in canada.  if it can launch a projectile at more then 400fps(i think), it's connsidered a firearm and it must be registered.

at least that's what a candian citizen on another gun board said...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If you think that retarded shit like this can't happen in the U.S.A., think again.

Reason #36 to join the NRA right now, no matter how much you think that the NRA sucks.

It's just a matter of time. When the right circumstances present themselves, we will see the same thing.  Funny, people will not write a letter make a phone call go to the capitol or even join the NRA, GOA etc when we are winning. Then we are supposed to believe they are going to fight to the death for their gun rights. For the most part we aren't any better here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
These amnestys and buybacks happen in most major cities in North America

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Next time a car is stolen and used in a crime we should propose a car buy back program. Turn in your cars and get a free ticket to the carnival.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top