Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 11:36:10 AM EDT

The interesting part is at the end  Just more evidence that our CCW rights are essential.

Newspaper distributor robbed, shot in arm
A Birmingham News distributor was robbed and shot early today in East Lake while delivering papers on his route.

Sam Harper, 46, was walking back to his van in the parking lot of a convenience store in the 7700 block of First Avenue North when he was accosted by a gunman about 1:20 a.m., according to a Birmingham police report.

The report said the man beat Harper on the head with his fist and took his wallet, before shooting him. He was taken to UAB Hospital and was undergoing surgery for a wound to his left arm.

Harper has delivered papers nearly 25 years.

There was a scuffle in which the robber chased Harper behind the convenience store before he was shot in the left arm. Violence is no stranger to the newspaper distributor. Harper has reported hearing shots fired along his route in the past.

And in the predawn hours of Oct. 7, 2002, Harper was filling newspaper racks at the Chevron at 8730 First Ave. North, when chaos erupted.

He saw a man put on a wig and storm into the convenience store, screaming and pointing a shotgun at the clerk. Harper grabbed his own gun, went inside and fired three shots at the gunman.

“He ran toward me, and I shot him twice more,” Harper said in an interview at the time.”

The gunman was pronounced dead on the scene

link
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Where's my two dollars?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Where's my two dollars?

for what?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that's a reference to the movie better off dead. Funny as hell,haven't thought about that in a long time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think that's a reference to the movie better off dead.

Yep. Don't screw with a paperboy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think that's a reference to the movie better off dead. Funny as hell,haven't thought about that in a long time.

missed that one
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

missed that one

Go rent it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn the perp is an illegal alien.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Two dollars!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
[booger] He's skiing K-12 on one ski!!! [/booger]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Two dollars!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ricky speaks the international language of love.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
in eastlake it will an urban youth with a meth/crack problem. robbery gone bad i almost promise you. this is exactly the reason i carry EVERY afterhours call i make. we have lost 2 techs in the last 10 years to this same shit.

I grew up in East Lake and had a paper route in the early sixties.  What a difference 40 years makes.

I was nice and quiet back then.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ricky speaks the international language of love.

He keeps putting his testicles all over me.

You know, like octopus? Testicles?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top