Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/20/2006 8:26:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 8:26:38 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
Gimli's main battle axe. Picture below.
I have a question about the following text:

Known primarily for their innate abilities to smith metal and stone, Dwarves are proud and strong-willed, ready for battle at a moment'ss notice. Like many Dwarves, Gimli, son of Gloin, favours the axe as his primary weapon. Accompanying his father to the Council of Elrond at Rivendell, Gimli is chosen to represent the Dwarves in the Fellowship of the Ring. After the Fellowship becomes separated, Gimli fights valiantly alongside Legolas and Aragorn from the Battle of Helms Deep to the Black Gates of Mordor. With his unshakable determination for success, he proves to be a valuable aid to the Fellowship. In Moria, after a cave-troll destroys the tomb of his forefather, Balin, Gimli is able to retrieve the mighty two-handed Battle Axe that had once belonged to the Dwarf-lord. From that point on, Gimli uses this Battle Axe for all close combat. Prepared for as many different situations as possible, he carries the Battle Axe with him, along with his Walking Axe, Bearded Axe, and two throwing axes. The massive head of this Battle Axe could be swung in both directions, making it a good choice for rapid moving combat.

Is that true? I don't remember that from the book. Thanks

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:43:41 AM EDT
I'm an LOTR junkie, and I can't think of any such reference. As far as I remember, Gimly uses the same axe from the moment he leaves Rivendel all the way to the end of the books.

Most of the good stuff in Moria had been looted several times over by the orcs long before the fellowship showed up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:48:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shane333:
I'm an LOTR junkie, and I can't think of any such reference. As far as I remember, Gimly uses the same axe from the moment he leaves Rivendel all the way to the end of the books.

Most of the good stuff in Moria had been looted several times over by the orcs long before the fellowship showed up.

Yeah. I will have to search the books later.
Website has the Axe on sale. I want it. but if it also belonged to Balin..it would be even sweeter.

The current collection:

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
SAME AXE THRU-OUT THE SAGA
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:50:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:03:00 AM EDT
Now what I'd like to see is the Balrog's personal collection of looted dwarf treasure. Oh yeah. Mithril out the wazoo. I'd love to raid that treasure hoard...mithril longswords, mithril shields, mithril suits of armor, etc....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:04:21 AM EDT
mjohn3006,

Nice collection. I like the design of Gandalf's longsword.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:04:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Website has the Axe on sale. I want it. but if it also belonged to Balin..it would be even sweeter.

I hate to break this to you, but none of the axes for sale actually belonged to Balin or Gimli.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:06:15 AM EDT
I thought he had two axes in the books.

Nice collection. Any have a real edge?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:08:34 AM EDT
I don't recall seeing him carrying that axe when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell. After watching the Moria fight several times, I think I can see him pick it when he is on the floor after the Cave-Troll destroys Balin's tomb. In the book however, nothing like that happens; he uses the same axe the whole time.

John
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:22:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

You would not want to use these swords for hitting anything.

First of all, they aren't tempered steel. They weigh about 10 pounds, not the 3 pounds a real longsword would weigh.

Second, they're brittle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:23:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

I hate to break this to you, but none of the axes for sale actually belonged to Balin or Gimli.

What! You mean this is not real history!

Next thing you will tell me that Santa is not real and that it is NOT Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:30:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 9:31:36 AM EDT by mjohn3006]

Originally Posted By Spade:

Sting is sharp enough to cut. I know because I got cut pretty bad by it.

But like was said..these are display pieces only. Would not want to hit anything with them. Except I did run them through some cardboard boxes.
Top Top