Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 9:55:52 PM EDT
Those rural Democrats ain't all bad even though they are playing the hunting angle

SNIP

Local officials united against governor's assault weapons ban

Southern Illinois Republicans and Democrats united against one topic proposed during Gov. Rod Blagojevich's State of the State Address: reinstating the assault weapons ban in Illinois.

While there is heavy pressure from Chicago to crack down on gun violence, legislators at the opposite end of the state have another view.

"The weapons ban is one aspect that I totally disagree with," said State Rep. Brandon Phelps, D-Norris City. "That is a slippery slope. As it is written, there is a ban on .50-caliber weapons and ammunition - that is a shotgun slug. If they go after assault weapons, what is to stop them to go after our hunting guns or even get rid of our deer season?"

State Rep. Mike Bost, R-Murphysboro, questioned the governor's rationale and the context in which he proposed the ban.

"If you are saying in one part of your speech that crime is down in Illinois, and then in another part of your speech you say there is a need for an assault weapons ban, then what exactly are you saying?" Bost said. "The assault weapons ban failed in the federal government because it didn't do anything. The governor said that we shouldn't have gang bangers with more powerful weaponry than our police officers. Well, gang bangers already have illegal guns."

Similarly, state Sen. David Luechtefeld, R-Okawville, said, "Criminals don't shoot people and rob banks with guns that they have a FOID card for."

While State Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion, praised the governor's initiative to rehabilitate methamphetamine addicts while they are in prison, he said Blagojevich's plan to outlaw assault weapons was "interesting."

"I think that was one of the controversial issues that won't go over with the people of Southern Illinois," Bradley said.

But take out the gun issue - and the love fest between Republicans and Democrats comes to a screeching halt.

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2006/01/20/top/10003591.txt
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's Chicago and the collar counties that run the state, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Much like California being run by LA and SF residents - something people need to keep in mind when they bash the entire state. Most of it is conservative geographically, much like Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much like California being run by LA and SF residents - something people need to keep in mind when they bash the entire state. Most of it is conservative geographically, much like Illinois.

NY & NYC too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Cook County ought to become its own state and leave the rest of Illinois alone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I called John Bradleys office 2 times today about this issue. Letting him know exactly what i felt about it.

Seems i wasn't alone. The AWB lit up his phone lines the last couple of days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they can put a stop to this nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Democrats/liberals........... they hate the gov/police/military, yet they're always the first in line to give them a monopoly on the use of force in this country.  

Interestingly, the Dems stance on gun control (among other things) is one area where everyone's favorite Cajun (Carville) says they are fucking themselves for the future.  I tend to agree with that particular statement, stripped of all it's other meanings.  Gun control cost a lot of Dems their seats and positions of power over the last 10-15 years.

Maybe IL is the testbed?  (doubt it, though)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
It's the suburb RINO's that are the biggest threat.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of the gun-ban votes are from the Chicago area.
There's two centers of Democratic power in IL, Cook county (the big one) and St Clair county (Jerry Costello). There is a Olin Winchester brass plant in St Clair county, so state legislators from around there tend not to vote for gun bans, even though they are Democratic. The rest of the state is mild Republican.

And Gov. Rod Blagojevich is sinking fast.
His suggestion a couple days ago for creating legalized keno gambling fell flat in much of the state, and in both parties,,,,,, -and there's some doubt that the Gov. even has the right to legalize it on his own anyway. His proposed state budget is huge, and contains the classic liberal method of welfare-pimp payouts to everybody--but everybody knows there's no way to pay for it all without some huge new revenue stream.
~
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Blago even looks stupid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
When talking about rural states, or at least rural parts of states, Democrats don't always = gun control.  Southern IL folks are mostly as pro-gun as we here in KY so if a politician wants to stay in office, they'll tow the pro-gun line.  Same here in KY.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I sent emails to my representative yesterday and another one that I am in contact with alot.  I also sent a editiorial to the local paper, I will have to check and see if it got published.  The one I sent last year was published on this same topic. If you live in IL contact your representative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top