Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 6:33:38 PM EDT
Got pulled over today for speeding in a work zone.  I honestly did not know, because they extended the work zone since I was last through and put the 45MPH sign up but didn't add the orange sign that I usually see.  

Anyway, deputy was cool about it, my driving record is spotless so he let me off with a verbal warning.

I had a .38 in my glovebox, which is where my insurance card was (don't know why is wasn't with the registration) so I told him about it like I have told other cops before.  He asked if I had a CCW to which I responded I did not.  He then said he wouldn't cite me, but that it was illegal to have the gun concealed in the car.  He was wrong (it is legal in CO) and I told him my understanding, to which he responded that a gun can be in the car but it must not be concealed.  He said to leave it in the open but of course hide it when I go into the store or something.  I let it go since he said he wasn't going to cite me.

Observations:

- I appreciate him letting me off for speeding - he admitted it wasn't marked well, and I think he knows that I honestly didn't see it.  He was nice about it.

-  Even though he was misinformed about the law, he wasn't concerned about me having the pistol at all, and didn't ask anything stupid like "what do you need a gun for?"

- Even thinking he was correct about the CCW issue, he wasn't going to cite me even though I belive carrying concealed without a permit is a Class 2 Misdemeanor, and he thanked me for telling him.  He didn't do anything silly like make me unload the gun, etc.  The gun stayed in the glovebox, and he was cool with that.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Just put your dick on his cheek next time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How far over the limit were you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How far over the limit were you?

56MPH in a 45MPH zone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
No dog in the car = warning

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Edit:
I had a few points to bring up here, but what it really boils down to is: did his dick touch your cheek?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Where in CO was this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Print out a copy of the CO code and whip out your paper next time he "thinks" he knows the law and point it out.

While cool, he seemed to not be able to admit he was wrong about the law.  I've found this to be common among cops when they come across someone who knows it better than them on specifics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Where in CO was this?

Just south of Greeley.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is with the dick on the cheek?  I've been reading this a lot here.  Should I be trying this with my wife?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is with the dick on the cheek?  I've been reading this a lot here.  Should I be trying this with my wife?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
For those in other states...

18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms in private vehicles.
Statute text

-snip-

(2) (a) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that the carrying of weapons in private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction, is a matter of statewide concern and is not an offense.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sneak up behing her while she sitting down and put your woody right next to her ear, then tap her on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I was on day two of my R&R.  I was hauling ass 95+mph (Rental Car).....4th of July weekend.....unmarked pulls me over....wallet in hand with both hands on steering wheel when in cop walks up

Cop: "Where are you going in such a hurry!?"

Arbiter:  "I just got my R&R after 3 months, man!  I'm just rying to get home!  Here is my drivers            
                licence and my CCW I'm carring concealed with permit."

Cop: "Wher is it?"

Arbiter:  "I have IT on me"

Cop: "OK here's your CCW back I'm going to run your Drivers Licence".

He runs my Licence.  Walking back to me...

Cop: "Mister R&R I suggest you slow it down as I am not the only unmarked out here.  You have a good and safe 4th of July weekend.

That was it.  No big deal with this State Trooper.  Nice guy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Got pulled over today for speeding in a work zone.  I honestly did not know, because they extended the work zone since I was last through and put the 45MPH sign up but didn't add the orange sign that I usually see.  

Anyway, deputy was cool about it, my driving record is spotless so he let me off with a verbal warning.

I had a .38 in my glovebox, which is where my insurance card was (don't know why is wasn't with the registration) so I told him about it like I have told other cops before.  He asked if I had a CCW to which I responded I did not.  He then said he wouldn't cite me, but that it was illegal to have the gun concealed in the car.  He was wrong (it is legal in CO) and I told him my understanding, to which he responded that a gun can be in the car but it must not be concealed.  He said to leave it in the open but of course hide it when I go into the store or something.  I let it go since he said he wasn't going to cite me.

Observations:

- I appreciate him letting me off for speeding - he admitted it wasn't marked well, and I think he knows that I honestly didn't see it.  He was nice about it.

-  Even though he was misinformed about the law, he wasn't concerned about me having the pistol at all, and didn't ask anything stupid like "what do you need a gun for?"

- Even thinking he was correct about the CCW issue, he wasn't going to cite me even though I belive carrying concealed without a permit is a Class 2 Misdemeanor, and he thanked me for telling him.  He didn't do anything silly like make me unload the gun, etc.  The gun stayed in the glovebox, and he was cool with that.

You just better be glad you didn't have a dog with you!

You mean you don't have a CHL?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Some states specifically defined a "concealed weapon" as being "upon your person", that is, having it in a case or under the seat is not concealing it.  It is only an infraction to conceal it on your body.  

Best thing is to read the law in your state for yourself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to second guess you, but having your insurance card and a .38 together doesn’t sound like an especially good setup.

By having them separate you presumably wouldn’t even have needed to mention the revolver.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#18]
happened to me a few years ago in NC.  NC has an open carry law, no registration except for the city of Durham which I wasn't in, and permits for CCW.  

State HP asked me these questions:

SHP:  You have a permit for that?
Me:  No, don't need one, it's being carried openly
SHP: Is the gun registered?
Me: No, there's no registration requirements for NC except for city of Durham which I'm not in.

Had to laugh at him, trying to intimidate me with bullshit laws
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In NE a handgun in a non locked container within easy reach like your glove box would be concealed.  In South Dakota a handgun anywhere in the vehicle not locked container would be concealed. So if your glove box does not lock you might want to check the law again.

IN CO I can have it on me and it would still be legal, as long as I am in my car.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Since you told the officer up front about the .38 in the glove box, your honesty must have made his day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Since you told the officer up front about the .38 in the glove box, your honesty must have made his day.

It made a good decoy for the 60 pounds of cocaine in the trunk.

I probably would have forgotten to mention it, except my insurance card was in my glovebox instead of the little folding thing where it usually lives, along with my registration.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#22]

DAMN JBT'S!!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Lat time I got pulled over here in Oregon while carrying concealed I notified the officer.  He responded, and I quote "I don't care about that".  

He did give me an ass chewing and a half though.  

No ticket.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I believe it was "erect penis", cmon man get it right!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a 50/50 reaction when I got pulled over in CO.  3 cops did not even care and it stayed with me in the car when they returned to their car to run my plates.  3 others wanted to hold on to it while they did the traffic stop, then returned it to me when he was done.  These were all state troopers.  

To quote one that had no issue with me having it in the car, "I'm not worried about the ones that let me know they have a gun, it's the ones that don't that worry me."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Thats cool....see there are plenty of good guys out there, I think we sometimes forget that!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#27]
glad to see people using common sense.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#28]
In AZ, as I understand it...

You are fine with in in the glove box as long as it is in a holster.  I am not sure how it is in CO, but I wonder if it's similar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Why, oh why, did I ever click on this thread?....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top