Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:47:00 PM EDT
So I sent my "The North Face" goretex shell/jacket down to the local The North Face store to see about getting it fixed. They gave me a card with the Warranty Dept info on it and told me to send it there. So I insured it and everything and off it went.

2 weeks later it just showed up today.. not fixed and with a message stating that it was a fake!

seems that it's becoming quite a problem and they've asked where I got it, a receipt and all that jazz.

buyer beware!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:48:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RED_5:
So I sent my "The North Face" goretex shell/jacket down to the local The North Face store to see about getting it fixed. They gave me a card with the Warranty Dept info on it and told me to send it there. So I insured it and everything and off it went.

2 weeks later it just showed up today.. not fixed and with a message stating that it was a fake!

seems that it's becoming quite a problem and they've asked where I got it, a receipt and all that jazz.

buyer beware!!!

So......where did you get it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:51:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RED_5:

buyer beware!!!

That sux dude, but did they tell you how they know it was a fake? That's what I'd be interested in knowing.

I'm not saying I think they shorted you or are trying to get out of warranty, but maybe the fakeness is something that can be spotted if you want to buy another.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:51:37 PM EDT
Yup! Take a look on e"liberal"Bay and it is full of NF knock offs. My friend bought one and paid $146. Once recieved he noted it was a fake. Searched for info on the seller, called a few and found him. Got his address and drove 90 miles to his house. Left with $150....

I am suprised you got your coat back. They could have kept it and persued action...probably too much of this crap going on to worry about us chumps getting hit...Hope you have recoures from your seller.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:52:20 PM EDT
If it was $19.95 at the local flea market, that should have been your first hint.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:58:40 PM EDT
North Face makes crappy products anyways. Take heart, though: The fake was probably made better than the original.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
eBay....figures. I cannot wait until that site goes under. I will never ever use that sight again. Anything I need on that site I can buy elsewhere and not worry about getting ripped off. Anything I don't need that I can buy there I can live without...obviously.

Besides, they're about as anti-gun as you can. I don't want to ever give them another cent of my money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:16:48 PM EDT
Dude, North Face jackets are like $400 bucks.

ANother good reason not to buy one...

efxguy
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coburn:
North Face makes crappy products anyways. Take heart, though: The fake was probably made better than the original.

What? I have NF gear that's 15 to 20 years old and it still functions as advertised, I've been everywhere from Nepal to Denali and just about anywhere in between. I had to send ONE item back to get it reseamed...the rest has been bulletproof. Granted, NF is a fashion statement now and there are lots of forgeries....but the real stuff is some good shit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:40:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nephilim:

What? I have NF gear that's 15 to 20 years old and it still functions as advertised, I've been everywhere from Nepal to Denali and just about anywhere in between. I had to send ONE item back to get it reseamed...the rest has been bulletproof. Granted, NF is a fashion statement now and there are lots of forgeries....but the real stuff is some good shit.

Well he does have a point -- kind of. Their manufacturing quality took a BIG hit in the late 90s as they over-expanded their company too quickly. I don't know if it ever recovered, as I've moved to other brands for my serious, may-save-my-life gear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:42:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jblachly:

Well he does have a point -- kind of. Their manufacturing quality took a BIG hit in the late 90s as they over-expanded their company too quickly. I don't know if it ever recovered, as I've moved to other brands for my serious, may-save-my-life gear.

I've got an ass-load of TNF gear and the only problem I ever had was that the DWR on my Mountain Light lasted about a month. Trip to TNF and back: Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:06:34 PM EDT
some local shop a while back... no, NF didn't tell how they recognized it or how I could recognize one in the future...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:09:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
On my trip to China I saw a five story bazaar in Beijing filled with fake North Face, Prada, Hermes, Seiko, Rolex, etc.

+1

And probably made by the same folks who made the "authentic" North Face stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:09:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

Originally Posted By jblachly:

I've got an ass-load of TNF gear and the only problem I ever had was that the DWR on my Mountain Light lasted about a month. Trip to TNF and back: Problem solved.

+1 Ive never had a problem with any of my stuff
Gotta watch out for that ebay shit. I got my G/F a pack off ebay and it was shit made. Gotta pay retail for it to be good or get it used from a reputable seller.
Top Top