Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:46:37 PM EDT
Diamonds are nothing but compressed carbon that happens to be clear and rather hard.  You can make them industrially, and there are fakes that look every bit as real as the real thing.  The only difference is the cost.  Why is it sooo important to have a ring that cost your man $5000, when it does absolutly nothing except relieve you of cash?  Is it because it's not really about the rock, it's about your man gathering together a bunch of money, then spending it on you and not other things that might be more useful?  Is it because you want to have a more expensive ring than the next girl? Or is it because society has said that diamonds are expensive and therefore you should want one because you can't buy one on a daily basis unless you are Donald Trump or Bill Gates?  I have never understood this, and the only answer I could get is "Because it's a diamond."  Not a logical answer.  I want substance, not "because it's a diamond."
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Girls like shiny stuff.  Kinda like fishing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Just something to show off to her friends.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Find one that doesnt care about a $5k ring......
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Good marketing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
They are taught to want them, just like big expensive wedding dresses and elaborate weddings.  

One day this girl I used to work with came in to the office with a diamond engagement ring.  It was at least 1 carat but it looked like frozen milk.  She was so happy that she was about to bust.  I decided it wouldn't be nearly as funny if she knew her diamond might as well be a turd so I kept my mouth shut.    
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, while you're at it find some unicorns and the City of Atlantis.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Good marketing.

+1

DeBeers has been amazingly successful in creating demand for their product.

I remember seeing a documentary about 10 years ago, where they talk about Japan.  Apparently, about 20-30 years ago in Japan, the concept of a diamond engagement ring did not exist.  Then, DeBeers agressively started marketing diamonds in Japan, and with a couple of decades it has now become impossible for a Japanse man to propose without a sizable diamond engagement ring.  DeBeers managed to change the societal expectations and attitude, and are alughing all the way to the bank.

Think about it, now an entire highly populated country now demands a product that they had little interest in before.  Amazing marketing, and pure evil genius.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, while you're at it find some unicorns and the City of Atlantis.

As I posted in the other thread - I didn't want a ring.  I think diamonds are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but I never wanted one.  He got me a very nice ring.  We have since divorced.  If I ever remarry I hope the guy listens (and believes me) and doesn't get me a diamond ring.  A band is fine by me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a pretty good scheme if you ask me...

3rd world countrymen dig all day in the dirt to produce an ugly ass piece of glass that get's sent to a sweat shop to be faceted into a really pretty piece of bling so some guy can shell out an ass-load of cash in order to swoon his gal into marrying him.  Then he get's divorced, loses his job & ends up digging through trash to find aluminum to be sent to a recycling facility who ultimately sends the product back to a third world country to advance their way of life.  All the while the 3rd world countryman in a loincloth can boast about digging diamonds while a former well-to-do guy loses his mind on a park bench surrounded w/ garbage bags full of aluminum cans as he argues w/ a bloke strolling by in seclusion to work on his proposal speech.

In the end, it's always the gal with the diamond on her finger that get's ahead, she didn't do shit but lay back and enjoy life.  Hence, it's a sign of power and privelege.  Every gals wants one.

Man, even I have to admit that's pretty damn thin.

Sly
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
De Beers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

3rd world countrymen dig all day in the dirt to produce an ugly ass piece

Don't forget that unless they came from Canada or were artifically made, they probably have somebody's blood on 'em as well. Those diamonds from Africa are not clean.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
For some unknown reason,a LOT of women seem to equate love with diamonds.I think it might have to do with the marketing of diamonds,and bragging rights at work.

Personally,I don't get it.You can't get back what you paid for them.Yet they are marketed as an investment....IN WHAT???

Quoted:

3rd world countrymen dig all day in the dirt to produce an ugly ass piece of glass that get's sent to a sweat shop to be faceted into a really pretty piece of bling so some guy can shell out an ass-load of cash in order to swoon his gal into marrying him.  Then he get's divorced, loses his job & ends up digging through trash to find aluminum to be sent to a recycling facility who ultimately sends the product back to a third world country to advance their way of life.  All the while the 3rd world countryman in a loincloth can boast about digging diamonds while a former well-to-do guy loses his mind on a park bench surrounded w/ garbage bags full of aluminum cans as he argues w/ a bloke strolling by in seclusion to work on his proposal speech.

In the end, it's always the gal with the diamond on her finger that get's ahead, she didn't do shit but lay back and enjoy life.  Hence, it's a sign of power and privelege.  Every gals wants one.

Man, even I have to admit that's pretty damn thin.

Sly

Brilliant analysis!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]

What is it about diamonds that makes them so important for girls to get?

Becouse De Beers has driven that idea home for years.

Diamonds are not as rare as one would think, supply totally manipulated mostly
by De Beers.

<Ron White> "Diamonds are for ever" "Diamonds, it will take her breath away"  be truthful
"Diamonds, that'll shut her up... for a little while" <Ron White>

ETA: I prefer my diamonds on tools and cutters where they do some good. Same goes for gold,
       instead of this tacky bling crap, use it for electical contacts and swiches for better quality.

GM
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say all 3...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Ron White said it best:
Diamonds; that'lll shut her up!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
De Beers.

Totally,

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Girls like shiny stuff. Kinda like fishing.

Yep.

Just something to show off to her friends.

Yep.

They are taught to want them, just like big expensive wedding dresses and elaborate weddings.

Yep.  

And it is a sign to them they can make you  work your butt off just for them.

Women also view expensive jewelry as "running money" in case they ever decide to leave your sorry @$$.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in a duscussion about this in Chemistry lab today (we were learning about crystal structures).  Diamonds are not rare in the slightest.  De Beers has a lock on nearly the entire market.  I have heard they have small mountains of them at the mines, but only release them slowly to the market to keep the prices up.  They are an official monopoly, and thus, they cannot directly sell to the US.  Just like Japan, before the marketing campaign in the US, diamonds were not commonly used as engagement rings.

I offered this bit of wisdom up:  "You know what I consider a great woman?  If I present her a small box with a $20,000 diamond ring in it, she should slap me and telll me what a waste of money it was.  That I should buy a cheaper ring and use the money to buy a new car or something useful."  The teacher (a woman) was not too amused by that.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Diamonds usually come to represent all that is ugly in a relationship.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I started this thread because my wife pesters me about getting her a bigger ring (her diamond was given to us by a good family friend, and I had it set in a ring for her).  I am NOT buying another ring.  I will be divorced before I spend one cent on a diamond.  I think they are completely worthless.  They have no value, except that people say that they have value, and that is NOT enough for me.  For an item to have value, it has to have a legitimate use.  I can make the wife happy with a $10 bouquet of roses.  I was just curious if I was the only one who felt this way.  I also get mad everytime this girl at work says she won't get married unless she gets at least 2 carats.  Well, I'm sorry, but a ring that big is gunna cost a bunch.  I asked her which she would like more, a diamond, or a car or a house?  She picked the ring.  Good thing I'm not with her, or I woulda slapped her right there and called her a effing idiot.  Glad to see that there are other logical minds at work.  

Also, notice that few, if any females responded to this post.  I dare someone to post a dupe in the women shooter's thread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Cubic Zirconia: Because she can't tell the freaking difference anyways.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I blame Marilyn Monroe...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yup.  Except she'd probably not believe me, because she know's my hatred of stupid price inflated rocks, so she would demand to see the recipt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  Except she'd probably not believe me, because she know's my hatred of stupid price inflated rocks, so she would demand to see the recipt.

Give her the choice of spending the money on a rock or on a vacation with you to europe.  her answer will show her true priorities.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol.  I don't even have enough $ to go on a road trip to the next town.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
The mark up on jewelry as a whole is HUGE, no make that HUGE.  It's a big scam for the most part.  IIRC some of the people from DeBeers' if they ever set foot on US soil have prison cells waiting for them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My guess: Very valuable, very portable.
only valuable because of Marketing, Monopoly, and Manipulation.  Easily lost.

Really it's all about being able to have a tangible exemplar of your love for her that she can show to her friends.
Her friends are impressed because she can dupe her man into spending tons of his hard earned cash on something that is essentially worthless unless ground into fine dust and used to coat the blades of manufacturing equipment.

Here's a concept.  Man now has the technology to create a diamond which is structurally identical to that found in nature, but without any trace of flaws.  These can be made for significantly less than natural diamonds cost at current market rate.  Which is better,  A natural diamond with flaws that costs thousands, or a perfect one created by the genius and ingenuity of man for a fraction of that?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked at Zales Jewlers for two years while going to college.  I have learned to equate a womans lust for diamonds in particular and jewlery in general to a man's lust for firearms.  They, like we, love to go into the shop, look, hold, purchase, and collect.

Like many aspects of the opposite sex, our's is not to try to understand it, only accept it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Just had a "heated" debate on this topic.  Came down to "im going to get a fucking diamond."  Her only rational for this was "because I like them."  I brought up many points which were good, and her only reason was "I like them."  I even brought up the manufactured diamond, and CZ and that nobody could tell the diff, and she just repeated that I don't care, I want the real thing and won't be happy with anything less.  She even had the audacity to compaire my desire to acquire firearms to her desire to have diamonds.  One diamond costs TEN times what one handgun (about $500) does....and the cost actually reflects the benifit of buying one (and they can save your life).  Anyhow...I feel this coming to a head sometime in the future, because I am not buying any damn diamonds.  I'll buy a manufactured and tell her it's real.  I wont pay $5000 for something that if perfect costs one tenth of that.

Also, I'm not against jewelry, I'm just saying that the price of a diamond is wayyyy overinflated.  Make the cost of a Glock ten times what it's worth, and see how many schmucks buy that.  I won't buy a machinegun because it's worth way more than it really is (well, I might because it would be a good investment to sell at a later date, for much more, without doing any work).  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Portable wealth that can be sold when she decides to dump you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
because bitches are greedy

before i was married my wife and i came across a documentary on cable about the diamond trade. the cartels in antwerp and the diamond wars in africa. after that she was emphatic on not contributing to that. now she wears my great-great grandmothers ring. its not big by todays standards but it has sentimental value far above and beyond some gaudy bling-bling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Its all about competition to be the alpha female.  If a guy got a 10 carat perfect diamond for free, she wouldn't care, so its not about money.  It MAY be that their respective men can do better and thus pay for a bigger ring, but that's secondary to bragging rights.  

Ever see a girl show off her new rock?  Nuff said!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Portable wealth that can be sold when she decides to dump you.

You've never tried to sell a diamond, or knew anyone who tried to sell a diamond, have you?

Diamonds have (practically) NO resale value.

Part of the genius of the "diamonds are forever" slogan is the implied directive to never part with one.  For those who want to anyway, they quickly learn that the most they will get for their diamond is 15-25% of its appraised value.

Diamonds are a scam.

-Troy

Nope, never have so I really don't know. Just guessing and assuming.

Never owned any jewlery myself except a wedding ring that was bought inexpensively a long time ago when I didn't have a pot to piss in. Never owned a watch that cost more than $20 either.

Edited to add: Reading the article now. And I thought the demonrats were evil. The diamond people made them look like saints.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Go look up the James Bond novel Diamonds Are Forever.
Fleming has Bond being briefed about the differences between fake and genuine diamonds.  If I had the book nearby I’d quote some of the more colorful descriptions of diamonds and what makes them so valuable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#38]
[family_guy] "Diamonds; she'll pretty much have to..." [/family_guy]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Expensive + no functional utility = romantic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#40]
If she asks for a large diamond, demand a SIG 550 for a wedding gift
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#41]
DeBeers brainwashing +10,000

There are two compaines making them in labs now-one makes them so well, you cannot tell them apart from ones that are mined. Needless to say, he keeps his lab hidden for good reason.

My GF does not like diamonds and does not want them because it's all a sham. She would rather have a Emerald or Ruby as they are really rare.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Why buy her a diamond, she won't last forever!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Diamonds are pretty, and they sparkle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Just had a "heated" debate on this topic.  Came down to "im going to get a fucking diamond."  Her only rational for this was "because I like them."  I brought up many points which were good, and her only reason was "I like them."  I even brought up the manufactured diamond, and CZ and that nobody could tell the diff, and she just repeated that I don't care, I want the real thing and won't be happy with anything less.  She even had the audacity to compaire my desire to acquire firearms to her desire to have diamonds.  One diamond costs TEN times what one handgun (about $500) does....and the cost actually reflects the benifit of buying one (and they can save your life).  Anyhow...I feel this coming to a head sometime in the future, because I am not buying any damn diamonds.  I'll buy a manufactured and tell her it's real.  I wont pay $5000 for something that if perfect costs one tenth of that.

Also, I'm not against jewelry, I'm just saying that the price of a diamond is wayyyy overinflated.  Make the cost of a Glock ten times what it's worth, and see how many schmucks buy that.  I won't buy a machinegun because it's worth way more than it really is (well, I might because it would be a good investment to sell at a later date, for much more, without doing any work).  

We've had the exact same conversations at my house and I have bought costum jewelry that my GF could not tell was CZ until she took it in to have it appraised  Oh well, I couldn't afford her anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok, let's try to put this in "manspeak"
If you guys had the choice between a H1 or a Hyundai 3 door, which would you choose?
If you had the choice between a Colt or a rusty-constantly jamming .22 what would you choose?
Then think about what you would like your wife to have.  What does that say about your wife sporting around in a Hyundai with only a .22 to defend herself?  Now, if that's the best you can do, then atleast you're doing something so she can run to the store and buy your sammich fixings and can fend off Lootie.

I think rings, and diamonds symbolize your marriage and commitment to one another.  Now, if your buddy gets a full auto something or other, wouldn't you want one too?  Maybe an even bigger better one?
Now I'm not condoning buying a H1, or a colt, or the rock to end all rocks.  And I have nothing against Hyundai.  But I think that's alot of some of these girls think when they insist on a huge ring.

I think mine is a quarter carat, and cost $380.  And it's amost too big.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#46]
they like diamonds because it is a status indicator. The same reason guys like Ferarris.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#48]
THANK GOD, I married a woman that wants no part of the petty, shallow ritual of diamonding your woman as a sign of love.

I would give her one if it made her happy, but she doesn't like the diamond industry, and we're both happy breaking tradition. She knows how much I love her, without $3,000 of overpriced glass on her finger, which serves mostly to show her friends (who don't really give a shit anyway).
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Ok, let's try to put this in "manspeak"
If you guys had the choice between a H1 or a Hyundai 3 door, which would you choose?

A more valid argument would be to compare a Lexus to  Toyota.

If you had the choice between a Colt or a rusty-constantly jamming .22 what would you choose?

Again,you are comparing 2 things that are un-related.The only differances between a diamond and CZ is marketing and resale value.A more valid comparison would be Colt vs Bushmaster.

Then think about what you would like your wife to have.  What does that say about your wife sporting around in a Hyundai with only a .22 to defend herself?

Well she can't defend herself with a diamond now can she ? She also can't drive a diamond to the store.

Now, if that's the best you can do, then atleast you're doing something so she can run to the store and buy your sammich fixings and can fend off Lootie.

LOL!

I think rings, and diamonds symbolize your marriage and commitment to one another.

Most women do,but what they fail to realize is that just saying YES to getting married is the ultimate leap of faith for a guy.

Now, if your buddy gets a full auto something or other, wouldn't you want one too?  Maybe an even bigger better one?

Ummm,got me there

Now I'm not condoning buying a H1, or a colt, or the rock to end all rocks.  And I have nothing against Hyundai.  But I think that's alot of some of these girls think when they insist on a huge ring.

I think mine is a quarter carat, and cost $380.  And it's amost too big.  

Unfortunately for us men,you are the exception rather than the rule.The majority of women are materialistic,just like the majority of guys are self centered pigs.If more women thought like you, (this diamond is too big) the price of diamonds would plummet,and be more along the price of gold.In turn diamonds wouldn't be desirable and women would have to find other shiny sparkly things to capture their attention.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Diamonds are pretty, and they sparkle.

The more bling, the better, eh?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top