Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's the girls' equivilant of "cool points".  You guys are competing over who has the best ARs, the best accessories, the best "man toys", trucks, four wheelers, etc.  Even over who has the hottest girl.  Whoever has the best gets the most "cool points".  It's the same thing for girls and jewelry, or shoes, cars to some extent, etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok I'm female.  And I have repeatedly *Turned Down* offers from my man to buy me a diamond!  Why?  They are an artificially overpriced cartel-marketted gimmick that lose their value once in private hands, plus if I wanted something glitzy just to wear (which I don't) I'd go with CZ.

A classy-looking woman wearing a diamond ring in average circumstances (ie, just walking through a store or mall parking lot) has just added *immensely* to her street crime "muggability" quotient.  

No diamonds for me, thank you very much.  If an expensive "rock" is all that important to some gal, paid for by *you*... I call her shallow and suggest you Run, Forrest, Run!

Actually I do enjoy jewelry, simply prefer a few very choice high end burmese jadeite pieces I have bought for myself.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Expensive + no functional utility = romantic.

Looking around in room... Damn, I'm such a romantic fella!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If she asks for a large diamond, demand a SIG 550 for a wedding gift

Then you would promptly receive on your wedding day a Ruger 10/22 'because that big black one, the Zig 55 was too expensive.'
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a cultural infatuation spawned by a successful maketing campaign.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]

It's the girls' equivilant of "cool points". You guys are competing over who has the best ARs, the best accessories, the best "man toys", trucks, four wheelers, etc. Even over who has the hottest girl. Whoever has the best gets the most "cool points". It's the same thing for girls and jewelry, or shoes, cars to some extent, etc.

My cool points don't involve chopping off the limbs of small children in Sierra Leone.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think rings, and diamonds symbolize your marriage and commitment to one another.

Now what shallow shit is this?

My commitment to a woman is symbolized by the fact that I decided to marry her. That if she has an accident and has to spend her life in a wheelchair with a fucking feeding tube, i'll be there changing her fucking diapers. That when she'd old and infirm, i'll still be there, because I have a lifetime of memories at her side to cherish.

I hate the artificial nonsense associated with diamonds. Yes, women want them. Am I saying I would never buy one?  No.  If it makes her happy, great.  But if it's the source of her happiness, and nothing less than a 'rock' will do?

The bitch can take a hike.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
THANK GOD, I married a woman that wants no part of the petty, shallow ritual of diamonding your woman as a sign of love.

I would give her one if it made her happy, but she doesn't like the diamond industry, and we're both happy breaking tradition. She knows how much I love her, without $3,000 of overpriced glass on her finger, which serves mostly to show her friends (who don't really give a shit anyway).

Much like you, I lucked out.  I did get my wife a diamond ring.  I put a lot of thought into finding a ring design that she likes and I even purchased a very high quality 1/2 carat diamond for it (perfect color, perfect cut, very tiny inclusion).  However, I was fortunate to find a good deal and it didn't cost me multiple thousands of dollars.

I'm lucky because she loves the ring and has never complained about it.  She doesn't even want to know what it cost.  She knows I put a lot of thought into it and that I love her.  That mattered most.

Other than that, yes, my wife and I have both noted many women who insist on getting very large diamonds or who complain that their fiance/husband didn't get them a big enough diamond.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#9]
+ 1 gadzookazillion @ mattimeo
and I'm female!  What a shame some of us minority faction of non-brainwashed, maverick from the sheeple herd gals get lumped in together with the majoity of our gender, but *shug*, hey, I'm just a speck on the demographic bellcurve... but not that atypical  for the folks I come from.  A simple band was good enough for my mom, and my thrifty grandmother never even had a wedding ring of any kind.  They were married by the JP, and that was it, and she did not need anything else to prove it, much less some gew-gaw that might get interfere with her dawn to dusk hands-on farmwoman's chores.

There are lots of down to earth gals out there who make good life-companions... and I think we have just found an excellent way to weed out the ones who DON'T.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, let's try to put this in "manspeak"
If you guys had the choice between a H1 or a Hyundai 3 door, which would you choose?
If you had the choice between a Colt or a rusty-constantly jamming .22 what would you choose?
Then think about what you would like your wife to have.  What does that say about your wife sporting around in a Hyundai with only a .22 to defend herself?  Now, if that's the best you can do, then atleast you're doing something so she can run to the store and buy your sammich fixings and can fend off Lootie.

I think rings, and diamonds symbolize your marriage and commitment to one another.  Now, if your buddy gets a full auto something or other, wouldn't you want one too?  Maybe an even bigger better one?
Now I'm not condoning buying a H1, or a colt, or the rock to end all rocks.  And I have nothing against Hyundai.  But I think that's alot of some of these girls think when they insist on a huge ring.

I think mine is a quarter carat, and cost $380.  And it's amost too big.  

I'm not trying to debate the difference between guns and diamonds.  Diamonds have no real value.  They are a rock that has been well marketed, price inflated, and is only good for one thing.  The peverbial "whose dick is bigger" arguement.

Don't get me into the differences between guns and diamonds.  Guns are respective of their cost to manufacture and hold more resale value than a diamond does.  It has a FUNCTION, a PURPOSE and buying a high quality gun DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  Buying a CZ, or a lab created diamond for 90% less than a real diamond serves the exact same purpose as the real thing, only it just costs less.  I guarentee if I laid a CZ, a lab created, and a real diamond in front of you, WITH NO TESTING TOOLS, you could not tell the difference, neithor could your friends, etc.  So why pay oodles of money for something that doesn't do anything better than the rest, except cost $$?  

Here's the reason:  Girls want you to give them something that appears expensive, costs you time and effort to proove your love and everlasting devotion.  Trust me girls, stepping on that alter and saying I DO, is much more difficult than laying out $.  Hell, if I had it to do over again, I would not.  I don't like being dicated to, and last night, my wife basically said that I will buy her a diamond.  Well, I wonder how long it's going to be before she realizes that I wont.  It's not a symbol.  

Also....legally registered NFA machine guns tend to go up in value, not down.  Diamonds are like cars, they loose most of their value after you take it off the lot, only diamonds depriciate much more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's the girls' equivilant of "cool points". You guys are competing over who has the best ARs, the best accessories, the best "man toys", trucks, four wheelers, etc. Even over who has the hottest girl. Whoever has the best gets the most "cool points". It's the same thing for girls and jewelry, or shoes, cars to some extent, etc.

My cool points don't involve chopping off the limbs of small children in Sierra Leone.

give me a fucking break. Did you watch the Kanye West video and now think you are the expert on diamonds? It is illegal to import diamonds into the US from Sierra Leone. DeBeers markets almost all of the worlds diamonds and they do not buy or sell "conflict" or "blood" diamonds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

give me a fucking break. Did you watch the Kanye West video and now think you are the expert on diamonds? It is illegal to import diamonds into the US from Sierra Leone. DeBeers markets almost all of the worlds diamonds and they do not buy or sell "conflict" or "blood" diamonds.

Oh really? How do you know?  How do you know that those "conflict diamonds" aren't being smuggled to a legal location, marked as legal, and then tossed into the pile of legal diamonds?  I'm sorry, but there is only one way to be sure it didn't cost a life:  BUY A LAB CREATED.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was talking about the ring and diamonds as a symbol, what I meant was that it symbolized that the person was married.  Not the size of the stone.  Maybe a few decades ago that meant something.  I admit, it doesn't much anymore.  And I admit that my comparisons were weak.  I wasn't referring to value or resale or investments.  I was referring to the mans desire to obtain and collect, whatever you want to call it.  If your woman wants a $3000 dollar ring, then she should offer to get you something of equal value.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
If they know you'll drop a few K on a rock for their finger, they know they have you by the balls and can have your money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the theory that some women like diamonds just because they know that the guy knows it's expensive and useless and not otherwise interesting to him, but the girl wants to know that she can make the guy spend his money on it anyway.

I would always have assumed that a girl would prefer custom-made jewelry rather than off-the-shelf jewelry; that a woman would prefer to never see that any other lady was wearing the same jewelry as she was. Then you could have the girl's initials and the date stamped on it as well, "commemorating something unique" and all that.

It could still end up costing a bit but at least it'd be distinctive; the whole idea of spending that much and buying a production item just seems lame to me. Like with expensive clothes: the true measure of quality is custom tailoring, you don't pay a ton of money just to buy off-the-rack.

But I have never heard of any guys/couples doing such a thing. And I have no woman--I hate people.
~

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Girls like shiny, incredibly expensive objects that have no practical value and cost somebody else money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#17]
It looks pretty but otherwise is completely useless...............
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#18]
They are all hookers if you have enough money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I blame Marilyn Monroe...

+1 ... although I say I blame Walt Disney more.  He started all this "princess" crap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#20]
BTW I think Al Bundy said it best:  

"Nothing says 'I Love You' more than a cubic zirconia."  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh really? How do you know?  How do you know that those "conflict diamonds" aren't being smuggled to a legal location, marked as legal, and then tossed into the pile of legal diamonds?  I'm sorry, but there is only one way to be sure it didn't cost a life:  BUY A LAB CREATED.

technically, it's possible. But most "conflict diamonds" are just sold on the black market in other countries. I have seen the process that diamonds go through to get to America and it would be very hard to do what you say.

However, I do agree about buying a lab created diamond. They are the same thing, just have better clarity and are cheaper. The only downside is right now, most are fancy yellow, rather than colorless
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 ... although I say I blame Walt Disney more.  He started all this "princess" crap.

Really?  Huh, I never really thought of that as a problem.  After all, little boys like being knights.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Diamonds are forever.

It is a lasting symbol of devotion.  Yes, it's pricey and yes, society has always shown it as a status symbol, but I think that's beside the point.  Who cares what anyone else thinks as long as your spouse is happy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny thing is, they can create them in labs now for $5.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Find one that doesnt care about a $5k ring......

Yeah, while you're at it find some unicorns and the City of Atlantis.

Hey, I am a jeweler.  My wife wife is wearing the same $200 .10ct solitaire that I got her when we got engaged.  She has never asked for anything more.

But I did give her a .75ct anniversary band and she wears that as well.

She owns 4 rings . . . the CTR ring I gave her, her class ring and her wedding rings (E/WB soldered are 1 rng).

A couple of necklaces, nothing fancy.

I found that 'mythical' woman.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Diamonds are forever.

It is a lasting symbol of devotion.  Yes, it's pricey and yes, society has always shown it as a status symbol, but I think that's beside the point.  Who cares what anyone else thinks as long as your spouse is happy!

Uhm.....I care....my bank account, my wallet, my checkbook, and my retirement all care.  That much money right now is just not feasable, and if it were, I'd be wanting to be investing it because at least that way I could get a return on my expendature, instead of just pissing it away.

And I guarentee that if I buy her a bunch of roses on a special date, I will make her just as happy as I would with a ring.  I have had things that I lusted after, and after I got them, they were nice and all but not near as great as the lusting for the item.  Also, I feel obligated NOT to buy a ring for her because she basically demanded that I do it.  It would be different if I up and chose do to it, but I won't give in to demands.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's the girls' equivilant of "cool points".  You guys are competing over who has the best ARs, the best accessories, the best "man toys", trucks, four wheelers, etc.  Even over who has the hottest girl.  Whoever has the best gets the most "cool points".  It's the same thing for girls and jewelry, or shoes, cars to some extent, etc.

But, we buy our own ARs, we don't depend on someone else to buy them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Huh, I never really thought of that as a problem.  After all, little boys like being knights.

That's news to me.  I wanted to be a construction worker when I was a kid.  I liked heavy machinery.  

The best case against the "princess" syndrome I've seen was in a recent posting by JohnWayne777.  I'll try to find the link to the post, although I suspect it is in the Team forum.   JW777's post also noted that the princess syndrome is not limited to women ... boys can have the "prince" syndrome too.  It's the sense of entitlement to some mythical status where they are worshipped hand and foot that turns any person (man or woman) into a useless waste of flesh.

And if little boys like to be knights, well that isn't all that bad.  Knights have obligations to fulfill  -- keep an honorable life, fight duels, slay dragons, keep the peace, train their squires, compete in tournaments ... when's the last time you heard a knight complaining about how his wedding band was only a 1ct VVF stone when Sir Galahad around the corner got a 2 ct?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
 Another reason I don't open car doors, etc on dates.........entitlement.  (Secretly glad I don't have to go on dates no more.....man those bitches are crazy).

Oh, and I have never demanded that my wife go buy me a $5000 gun.  She would tell me to eff myself and tutor me on spending money wisely.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought my wife a $200 ring. She was thrilled. Never asked how much it cost.
The wedding bands cost less than $100.
We were married at a catering hall by a local mayor.
I invested the money we saved...
Still together after five years...

My sister made fun of our cheap rings and "low class" wedding.
"whaddya mean she doesnt have a bridal registry..."
"But you HAVE to have a limo at your wedding...."

She had her wedding at a fancy winery...hired limosines...
Spent a fortune on everything...

Less than 1 year later and her husband ( a worthless local cop, I never liked the guy) is banging some slut...

She divorced and married another guy (halfway decent). Had a much smaller wedding this time.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I fell into the diamond trap last year for the first time.  Spent way too much on some stupid pair of platinum/diamond earrings, only to break up with the girl four months later.  To her credit she offerred to give them back, but I didn't want the reminder of my stupidity.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#32]
THEORY:  

The assets expended on wedding and ring is INVERSELY proportional to the quality and longevity of the marriage.  

As a variable, the inverse proportion is quadrupled in impact if debt is incurred for wedding and ring.
----------

There are 1) Girls, 2) Women and 3) Squared away, 'stand up' quality women.

Gentlemen, please don't lump us all together.  My man and I are both middle aged, neither with kids, and both having gotten "burned" in prior marriages.  We've never even made it down to the courthouse to make things "official"... *but* we have indeed "been there" for one another through thick and thin for half a decade.  (I do however wear a very discreet and  modest gold band with his and my names engraved upon it as a token of our bond, since I kept turning down diamonds, and he wanted me to have "something")  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Diamonds are nothing but compressed carbon that happens to be clear and rather hard.  You can make them industrially, and there are fakes that look every bit as real as the real thing.  The only difference is the cost.  Why is it sooo important to have a ring that cost your man $5000, when it does absolutly nothing except relieve you of cash?  Is it because it's not really about the rock, it's about your man gathering together a bunch of money, then spending it on you and not other things that might be more useful?  Is it because you want to have a more expensive ring than the next girl? Or is it because society has said that diamonds are expensive and therefore you should want one because you can't buy one on a daily basis unless you are Donald Trump or Bill Gates?  I have never understood this, and the only answer I could get is "Because it's a diamond."  Not a logical answer.  I want substance, not "because it's a diamond."

Not every girl wants a diamond. Personally i think that alot of it has to do with greed. I myself would prefer to find a good man....the rest is peanuts. *smiles*
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:10:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Find one that doesnt care about a $5k ring......

You found her! * grins*
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was in a duscussion about this in Chemistry lab today (we were learning about crystal structures).  Diamonds are not rare in the slightest.  De Beers has a lock on nearly the entire market.  I have heard they have small mountains of them at the mines, but only release them slowly to the market to keep the prices up.  They are an official monopoly, and thus, they cannot directly sell to the US.  Just like Japan, before the marketing campaign in the US, diamonds were not commonly used as engagement rings.

I offered this bit of wisdom up:  "You know what I consider a great woman?  If I present her a small box with a $20,000 diamond ring in it, she should slap me and telll me what a waste of money it was.  That I should buy a cheaper ring and use the money to buy a new car or something useful."  The teacher (a woman) was not too amused by that.

Personally, i think its genius!!! Get smart with your money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THANK GOD, I married a woman that wants no part of the petty, shallow ritual of diamonding your woman as a sign of love.

I would give her one if it made her happy, but she doesn't like the diamond industry, and we're both happy breaking tradition. She knows how much I love her, without $3,000 of overpriced glass on her finger, which serves mostly to show her friends (who don't really give a shit anyway).

Much like you, I lucked out.  I did get my wife a diamond ring.  I put a lot of thought into finding a ring design that she likes and I even purchased a very high quality 1/2 carat diamond for it (perfect color, perfect cut, very tiny inclusion).  However, I was fortunate to find a good deal and it didn't cost me multiple thousands of dollars.

I'm lucky because she loves the ring and has never complained about it.  She doesn't even want to know what it cost.  She knows I put a lot of thought into it and that I love her.  That mattered most.

Other than that, yes, my wife and I have both noted many women who insist on getting very large diamonds or who complain that their fiance/husband didn't get them a big enough diamond.

I agree. If the girl is all on about the ring? You dont have much of a relationship....nothing between the ears....and very little in the heart.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not this girl.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

NO.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And many if not all stand-up self-respecting women buy our own jewelry, if we choose to aquire such luxury items.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I started this thread because my wife pesters me about getting her a bigger ring (her diamond was given to us by a good family friend, and I had it set in a ring for her).  I am NOT buying another ring.  I will be divorced before I spend one cent on a diamond.  I think they are completely worthless.............................  I was just curious if I was the only one who felt this way.  I also get mad everytime this girl at work says she won't get married unless she gets at least 2 carats.  Well, I'm sorry, but a ring that big is gunna cost a bunch.  I asked her which she would like more, a diamond, or a car or a house?  She picked the ring.  Good thing I'm not with her, or I woulda slapped her right there and called her a effing idiot.  Glad to see that there are other logical minds at work.  

You sound like a real tough guy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Diamonds are beautiful,and on a womans hand they are exqusit!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#45]
DeBeers started paying Hollywood to use diamonds as engagement rings knowing that once it hit the big screen, the public would clamor for them.   How many of us poor men have had to try to live up to hollywoods protrayal of romance over the last 80 years or so?    My grandmother's engagement  ring was Opal, which was popular in the  first part of the 20th century.

One of DeBeer's dirty little secret is that diamonds are not all that rare.  Russia discovered a hugh amount of them, but Debeer's was able to somehow convince Stalin to market only limited quantities through them.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I have always hated diamonds. They seem cliche and common to me. My future wife will be getting a ring with a large stone in it, but it will be a gemstone that is actually somewhat rare and meaningful. Probably a 1ct. or larger Ruby, Emerald or Sapphire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#47]
It is actually quite easy to tell the difference between CZ and real diamond, once you have looked at a few specimens side-by-side. There is also a lot of incorrect information regarding synthetic diamonds in this thread. You cannot make man-made diamonds for $5, that is just misinformation spread by jealous people who cannot afford the real thing. You can make cheap simulants that have very different densities, refractive indices, and surface characteristics than diamonds for $5. Actual, synthetic diamonds are very difficult and expensive to make. The ones that have been marketed so far are yellow and still almost as expensive as good quality natural stones.

I am a jeweler, and can differentiate CZs from real diamonds  from across the room. Unless your vision sucks, I can teach almost anyone to do the same.

I will definitely agree that women who obsess about diamond quality and size usually end up getting divorced in a few years. I have seen this hundreds of times in my 15 years in the business. I observe the couples as they shop for rings, there are two types of women. The first type is obsessed with diamonds and often demands at least a carat, two carat etc and a certain clarity and color. These couples are usually back in a year or two trying to sell the ring because they got divorced. The other type of woman is happy with almost any ring, these couples tend to stay married forever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Gold diggers
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And many if not all stand-up self-respecting women buy our own jewelry, if we choose to aquire such luxury items.

Bullhockey.  Most women acquire their jewelry from men.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top