Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:13:30 PM EDT
How do probes launched from earth get based the asteriod belt between mars and the outer planets w/o getting hit?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do probes launched from earth get based the asteriod belt between mars and the outer planets w/o getting hit?

Chuck Norris guides them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
while I imagine there are a lot of them, you have to consider that there is an awful lot of "space" between them. when you think " asteroid belt", don't think about the asteroid fields in sci-fi movies. If the asteroid field were that crowded, how would you see the stars on the other side?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget about the images you see in science
fiction movies. Space is vast. The real asteroid belt
has a density of something like 1 per thousands of
cubic miles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You must not be a shotgunner.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Pure dumb luck.  Asteroid belt is very sparse.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
s p a c e
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Like others have said, the asteroid belt is quite spartan.  If it were as jammed packed with rocks as Star Wars or Asteroids the video game would suggest, their gravity would have pulled each other together a long, long time ago into a bunch o' clumps.

...and I imagine if such a clump got big enough, it would eventually fuse itself into a planet...but I could be talking out my ass here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Timing. It's rocket science.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The Voyager probes both navigated the Kuiper asteroid belt with onboard computers if I am not mistaken..........I think NASA had some seriously puckered rears until that was accomplished
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The liklihood of running into an asteroid by accident is about as likely as encountering a functioning brain cell in Chuckie Schumer's head.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Voyager probes both navigated the Kuiper asteroid belt with onboard computers if I am not mistaken..........I think NASA had some seriously puckered rears until that was accomplished

There is a Kuiper belt and then there is the asteroid belt.  Not the same thing.  The reason that the scientists were concerned about the Kuiper belt is that we had not sent anything past it before.  Is there enough dust that it will destroy the craft?  Are the radiations that will damage theelectronics?

Fear of what we did not know, not so much fear of asteroids.  The density in the Kuiper belt makes the close-in asteroid belt look like a beach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top