Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 2:33:51 PM EDT
Just got this email.

FYI:
I know it's true becuase I heard it on the radio several months ago.

Thought you would find this interesting!!!!!!!!!

JUST A REMINDER, 13  days from today, cell phone numbers are being
released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale
calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS!
These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up
costing you money in the long run. To prevent this, call the
following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the
National DO NOT CALL list. It ! will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

You can register on line at: www.donotcall.gov/
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  Wrong forum, and completely false.  shocking.

www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

By the way, I suspect you're about to win a large lottery.  Just wait for the Nigerian e-mail notification and have your bank account number ready.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If you read it fully it does talk about it in the works. I just got it in and figured I would post it to see if anyone else has seen it, no reason to be a smart ass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I love getting female telemarketer calls,
I usally start by asking what their wearing and if they have panties on
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
They will never be allowed to call your cell phone.  Period.

It's a hoax, a internet rumor, you've been had.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had several telemarket calls on my cell phone, I'd say seven of them total. I usually bitch them out and demand that i speak to a supervisor. I havent had one in over a month or so. I even had one asshole leave a voicemail, it was from a morgtage company. It sickening.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just got this email.

FYI:
I know it's true becuase I heard it on the radio several months ago.

Thought you would find this interesting!!!!!!!!!

JUST A REMINDER, 13  days from today, cell phone numbers are being
released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale
calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS!
These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up
costing you money in the long run. To prevent this, call the
following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the
National DO NOT CALL list. It ! will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

You can register on line at: www.donotcall.gov/

Well, it's gotta be true, then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love getting female telemarketer calls,
I usally start by asking what their wearing and if they have panties on

Thats a good one. I usually just ask telemarketers really odd questions until they hang up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
For some reason, I never get tired of repeating this...

INTERNET RULE NUMBER ONE:
Any email which asks you to pass it on to everyone you know is guaranteed to be a pure steaming pile of crap.  Do not ever forward to anyone, and take a moment to bitch out the sender.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you read it fully it does talk about it in the works. I just got it in and figured I would post it to see if anyone else has seen it, no reason to be a smart ass.

Come on, man you have to admit that was funny, seriously though a lil research before posting goes along way.  Now that you have heard about snopes, I doubt you will get grifted again

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me guess, you recently received a large sum of money from a Nigerian prince?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have gotten Telemarketer calls on my Cell.
They are pre recorded messages...I also get Text Ads too....it is annoying.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember this people with a cell #.... 90% of the #'s out there, someone else had. YOU ARE NOT getting the calls, the person before you is (more or less).  Sucks I know, but thats what is happening 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#15]
100% FALSE !!!!

Actualy this was on the news, local channel 7 about 35 minutes ago and it was deemed FALSE. They actualy interviewed an FCC associate who clearly stated it is 100% illegal for a telemarketer to call your cell phone and it will remain that way indefinetly. They can call your house but are NOT allowed to call cell phones, any that do and get reported are shut down by the FCC.  There in lies the problem, NO one reports them to the FCC.  If you get a call and actualy find out who the buisness is and you report them they will get wacked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont get telemarketer calls on my cell phone, hell I dont even get ex-gf's calling.

Settings---> Security-----> Calls-----> Incoming----> Phonebook Only

Thanks Motorola!!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Snopes is your friend, and it takes a real friend to tell you when your newbie is showing, Live and learn from your mistakes,
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]

This thread's title should be changed to "I am gullible.  NOBODY LOOK"  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I already am on the DNC list for cell phones.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This thread's title should be changed to "I am gullible.  NOBODY LOOK"  

heh heh heh
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to work as a DJ, so I can spread misinformation on the radio. God, that would be so sweet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I want to work as a DJ, so I can spread misinformation on the radio. God, that would be so sweet.

Just think, you could control the minds of gullible folk the world over!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
OMG TRU STORY.  Pass this on 2 at lest 15 friens or ur crush wil hate u forever.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
OMG TRU STORY.  Pass this on 2 at lest 15 friens or ur crush wil hate u forever.

My boss falls for this shit.  He's constantly tacking junk like this on the bulletin board.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There isnt one....  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#26]
So I guess nobody's receiving calls on their cells. There are a few that just said they had them plus me. The only part I wrote was the title and I just got this email. In my second post I said I was wondering if anyone new about this. So I don't know why yall keep talking shit. I wasn't the one that said I heard it on the radio so it must be true. I'm not that stupid. I just put it up to see if there was any truth to it. And instead of gettin mature comments I get a bunch of jerkoffs saying I'm a dumbass. See its these kind of attitudes that make the others leave. But believe what you want.

ETA: The funny thing is most of you probably haven't read my post or you would know I put it out to see what yall knew. It's good to see the followers of the world.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#27]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There isnt one....

Actually, there is one list, for both cell and home phones. From what I have been able to gather the only reason they can't call you on your cell is that it is illegal to call a cell using a auto dialer, which almost all telemarketers use.

From the FTC site:

Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent

Research and reading is fundamantal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So I guess nobody's receiving calls on their cells. There are a few that just said they had them plus me. The only part I wrote was the title and I just got this email. In my second post I said I was wondering if anyone new about this. So I don't know why yall keep talking shit. I wasn't the one that said I heard it on the radio so it must be true. I'm not that stupid. I just put it up to see if there was any truth to it. And instead of gettin mature comments I get a bunch of jerkoffs saying I'm a dumbass. See its these kind of attitudes that make the others leave. But believe what you want.

If you stick around you'll discover one thing about this place... posting untrue stuff (especially with an emotional tone) is going to earn the poster an ass-kicking in short order.

How you respond to said ass-kicking will determine your lifespan here.  If you explain your position and back it with facts and logic you'll be fine.  People may not like what you have to say but if you can defend it, you'll be fine.

Posing uncorroborated information without a source, something that would take 15 seconds on Google or Snopes to verify is bad form and will be pounded hard.

The depth and breadth of knowledge and experience on this site is simply breathtaking.  One would do well to remember that before hitting the "SUBMIT" button .
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
My appologies to everyone. I thought this was a discussion forum, so posting something to get feedback shouldn't be a problem. Since there is vast assortment of people that have different carrers I figured someone may know. And yall keep saying google the topic, hel, why dont yall read what I'm saying when all I was wondering is if anything is going on with it. I've been called along with others hell I heard on the news a few months ago that it was possible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I thought this was a discussion forum, so posting something to get feedback shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly.

You posted a chain letter full of B.S. and you got feedback.  

Lot of people here are just giving you a hard time because whenever you get an email telling you "PASS THIS ON TO ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS" it is almost always bullshit.

And when you put "EVERYONE LOOK" in the title, it annoys people to come into the thread, expecting something interesting, and finding an obvious urban legend.

Seriously - whenever I get a "Psss this on to everyone you know" email, the first place I go is www.snopes.com, and it always turns out to be bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Actually, there is one list, for both cell and home phones. From what I have been able to gather the only reason they can't call you on your cell is that it is illegal to call a cell using a auto dialer, which almost all telemarketers use.

From the FTC site:

Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent

Research and reading is fundamantal.

Ahhhh, interesting......
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They will never be allowed to call your cell phone.  Period.

It's a hoax, a internet rumor, you've been had.  

I overheard a co-worker telling another he got an 04:30 cell phone telemarketer call this morning. I heard him say is was weak and faint but still a telemarketer. They walked on by and I didn't hear anymore than that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Its already happening in London. Plus it is only illegal if you can prove they where using an automatic dialer. Since they say mistakes happen there's not much you can do. And as soon as they find a way to do it where it doesn't cost you it wont be considered illegal. Also my local news said it was a possibility in the future. So no one has gotton a got a text message with some kind of sale information, its the same difference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Its already happening in London. Plus it is only illegal if they you can prove they where using an automatic dialer. Since they say mistakes happen there's not much you can do. And as soon as they find a way to do it where it doesn't cost you it wont be considered illegal. Also my local news said it was a possibility in the future. So no one has gotton a got a text message with some kind of sale information, its the same difference.

So you're now defending an urban legend chain letter??       Dude, quit while you're behind.

Btw - you do understand that London is not governed by U.S communication laws, right?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes I understand that it is london. I also understand that I have received both calls and text messages. I'm not defending it I'm just saying what is true. Also it is only illegal if you can prove they where using an automatic dialer and if it costs you. All I was getting at is if anyone else has heard anymore information besides quit while your behind. Also people have been called that are members here, so they must be finding a way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#36]
 I got a letter from a Nigerian prince's heir, if I gave them my bank account #, they would deposit a bunch of money in it, I haven't seen the money yet, I wish they would put it in, I'm bouncing checks left and right, and I thought I had several thousand dollars in my account? I must have made an error in my ledger. Some of you said you got letters from the same people, have you gotten your money yet? I don't know what is taking them so long, I may give them a -1.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I forgot to tell you guys, I got an URGENT! email, did you know interest rates are on the rise? and the time to refinance your home may be now, before rates get any higher, you can also pay off your credit cards, and save up to $400 a month! I think I'm going to do it, the overdraft fees are killing me, if the Nigerians don't hurry up, I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Uhm...I have recieved telemarketer calls on my cell.  That usually causes me to start yelling profanities at my cell phone, and then having to explain why to the people around me.  After I tell them why, they all nod in agreement.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#39]
this'll be worse http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=1946&source=HOME
Video Ads Coming to a Cell Phone Near You

News by Brad Kellett on Thursday January 19, 2006.

Note: Sponsored advertising links, if any, are in green.

As if there wasn't already enough advertising that we are subjected to in our day-to-day lives, Sprint Nextel and Verizon Wireless plan to test new short video ads on cell phones in March.

Although the carriers do not currently have plans to widely deploy the advertising, due to fears of upsetting customers, it seems that it will only be a matter of time before mobile video advertising becomes common.

Cell phone-based marketing could be "the silver bullet we've been looking for in advertising for a long time," said Laura Marriott, executive director of the Mobile Marketing Association. While mobile advertising is currently still rudimentary, marketing agencies are already interested in using location-based advertising on cell phones, possibly sending a short video advertisement when a user is near a store.

Carriers are not aloud to release information on a user's location without prior permission by law, so expect to see special deals on call plans in exchange for receiving advertising.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#40]
UHM.....another reason to keep your cell on vibrate and never use text messages.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I dont get telemarketer calls on my cell phone, hell I dont even get ex-gf's calling.

Settings---> Security-----> Calls-----> Incoming----> Phonebook Only

Thanks Motorola!!!!

I'd do that but I know one day I'm gonna get the "We're having a blowjob competition and we thought you'd be a good judge." call.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#42]
If your caller ID doesn't give a number,and shows, incoming call, 9999999999, 0000000000, etc. or if it is outside your area code, and not in your phone number list, don't answer. If it is important, they will leave a message. You can call your phone co. and they will generally remove unsilicited text message charges, my phone is realitivly new, but it won't allow me to delete text messages until they are opened. I was told by a friend, whos father works for bellsouth, that as you pass certain towers, they will auto generate a text message, this supposed to be illegal, but it seems to explain some of the marketing type text messages I have recieved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#43]
FOR SALE

One careful old lady owner, she only used it once a week for going to the grocery store!

Perfect for new immigrants!

Please send check or money order (sorry, no C.O.D.) to P.O. Box 0000, Miami, Florida.

British or Commonwealth purchasers, please make your cheque out to "Campaign Against Selling History", or "CASH", for short.

If this needs to go to the E/E, my bad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Post it on ebay, you will have it sold in no time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top