Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 1:58:50 PM EDT
Our beloved President has signed into law an act that now makes trolling a federal felony.

The newly amended 47 USC § 223 now provides:

(a) Prohibited acts generally
Whoever— (1) in interstate or foreign communications— (A) by means of a telecommunications device knowingly— (i) makes, creates, or solicits, and
(ii) initiates the transmission of,
any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or other communication which is obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or indecent, with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass another person;
(B) by means of a telecommunications device knowingly—
(i) makes, creates, or solicits, and
(ii) initiates the transmission of,
any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or other communication which is obscene or indecent, knowing that the recipient of the communication is under 18 years of age, regardless of whether the maker of such communication placed the call or initiated the communication;
(C) makes a telephone call or utilizes a telecommunications device, whether or not conversation or communication ensues, without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person at the called number or who receives the communications;
(D) makes or causes the telephone of another repeatedly or continuously to ring, with intent to harass any person at the called number; or
(E) makes repeated telephone calls or repeatedly initiates communication with a telecommunications device, during which conversation or communication ensues, solely to harass any person at the called number or who receives the communication; or
(2) knowingly permits any telecommunications facility under his control to be used for any activity prohibited by paragraph (1) with the intent that it be used for such activity,
shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

So remember, kids, it's not just trolling, it's a crime.

ETA:  It seems like this ought to be a dupe, but if it is, I haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to say it, but dupe from like 3 weeks ago.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My first DUPE!!!!

that was a let down.

CO
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

www.fieroloki.com/bonk.gif

Damn.  I wonder how I missed it.  I must have actually been working at work three weeks ago.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I hope you weren't trying to annoy me with the "bonk" .gif.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My first DUPE!!!!

that was a let down.

CO

It will get better with practice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I try to annoy everyone.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I try to annoy everyone.  

In that case, I hope FieroLoki's your real name.  
Or are you hoping to win one of those all expense paid Club Fed vacations?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#8]
So would I have a good suit against a former forum mod and members?

This is what happened:

I responded to a thread on another forum, I forget what the topic was.   I posted the word “some1”.  A mod came on and posted “do not use any chat room slang on his forum”.  Now this is not a real issue to get in an argument over.  

Another member had posted before me some “chat room slang” (CRS).  Therefore I post again sighting other persons CRS, asking why was his acceptable and why mine was not.  The mod came back with “I will tell you this one more time DO NOT USE ANY CHAT ROOM SLANG AGAIN OR ELSE!”

WTF is what I’m thinking.  Was it because I was not part of the “High Post Count Club”
People tend to act like you don’t belong if you only have a few hundred posts in the forum.  
At this point other members start calling me a troll and rude remarks.
Why? Because I am being singled out over some CRS. Fuck that! The very same mod that ordered me not to use any CRS is guilty of doing that himself.
And after quoting him on it I was called a few words, ignorant being1 (<=CRS) of them by the mod and all his cronies and was immediately kicked from his forum.

Now I really don’t plan to take any action on this. But I sure it will happen somewhere sometime.
I'm done now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top